Should we be worried?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brunlin, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Brunlin Augur

With the new and very significant investor in DBG, Nantworks, and the newly announced expac for EQ 2 but not EQ, should we be worried? Usually EQ 1 and EQ 2 expacs are announced together. Im ok with not getting a expac atm, thats not my concern. I am hoping its not a precursor for Everquest being sunset-ted. If its just something they are not worried about atm and they are simply putting effort to the new EQ ip on mobile and Z1 is one thing, I am ok with that too. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully we will be ok and something nice will happen for the 20th anniversary event. I dont know, what does everyone else think?
  2. Intenso Augur

3. Intenso Augur

4. kizant Augur

Last year's was released on the 20th and today is the 16th. Calm down. It's a good month too early for these sorts of posts.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Riou EQResource

No, EQ2 was earlier last year as well

They just don't want to "waste" advertising and marketing dollars and eyeballs on 2 products that compete in the same space (MMORPG's) at the same general release

So this means EQ1 is pushed back to spread them out some
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Brunlin like this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

I wouldn't worry.

I also wouldn't mind if they went to a 1.5 year or 2 year cycle for expansions.
    Brunlin likes this.
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

A 1.5 year schedule I could see working. 2 years is way too long though.

From what I gathered, the new investors are going to primarily focus on H1Z1 and developing mobile game versions. This shouldn't have any effect on EQ, the development process has been ongoing long before the investment.
    Brunlin and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Nantworks and DBG are in a joint venture together, with Nantworks financing and retaining the controlling interest in this venture. Nantworks' 'investment' in DBG was likely not monetary, but a trade of DBG's IP for Nantworks' resources. This landed Soon-Shiong a spot on DBG's board. The details of precisely how much (if any) control over the EverQuest franchise this deal exhibits are foggy at best, and probably will be released in the coming weeks.

Deals like these are exploratory and done in stages, in hopes of cashing in on synergies and feeling out each company for compatibility. DBG is already running very lean, so if anything I would expect staffing to stay the same or increase.
    Brunlin likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Arachnid hamsters?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Febb Augur

?

[IMG]
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

The sky isn't falling. The Plane of Sky has been in a steady orbit for almost two decades and shows no signs of decaying.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Brunlin and Quatr like this.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Ring of Scale was announced on September 20, 2017. So, they are not "late".
  13. Fcseven XIII Journeyman

I believe the way it has worked in the past was the EQ2 expansions were announced first and then EQ1 about a week later.
    Brunlin likes this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

Usually EQ announces a few weeks later. It's not time to panic yet.
    Brunlin likes this.
  15. Cleaver Augur

Panic about what ? We already know there is an expansion.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Without panic parts of the internet would collapse. REMEMBER!! You must buy our products!! Panic and fear seem to be driving life in many parts nowadays.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

I question why they don't stagger expansion releases by a few months anyway.
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

My takeis that you can rest easy, my guess is that EQ will oulive us. EQ2 is much smaller, and they still get expacs...
  19. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You mean like RoF and CotF? I think a lot of players complained. The moniker "Cloaks of the Forsaken" I'm sure wasn't considered a positive at the time. The flaw becomes the final content release of expansions designed in that way are used for such a short period of time and that the excitement level doesn't hold up. We're just going to receive new content in a couple months that will obsolete all this, so why bother?
  20. Cleaver Augur

You cant really stagger it because it lacks volume. If there was more content in each tier you could get away with it.