MMO forever is the new black...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Sep 14, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Many games have been able to captivate a community for an extended period of time, I recently discovered that doom/doom2 (the originals!) still has a thriving community, for example. Thats 25 years!!

Its all a question about gameplay, and a steady flow of new content.
    EQ1 fits those criteria too. :D
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

And then you have the original Starcraft. Released on Windows 95. I went through hell keeping that game running on Windows 7,8, and 10 for my wife. There remained a dedicated core of players, so much so that Blizzard completely revamped it and re-released it as a modern game. (Hint. EQ Managers, you can DO that too!)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Derd Augur

That you compare the resources of blizzard to dbg is oddly humorous.
  5. Tucoh Augur

I hope to be wrong but I've got low hopes for Fallout 76. Pete Hines response about being online all the time is really just a good deflection for the question of why Fallout 76 is online-only.

Fallout76 is probably just BattleCry rebranded and shoved into their Gamebryo engine. And BattleCry was just a battle royale trying to get that Fortnite/DayZ/Rust $$$.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda_Game_Studios_Austin

This is what they did with Prey / Rage 2

Funnily, Bethesda Game Studios Austin, AKA BattleCry Studios, was full of SOE rejects.

Bethesda (and really, Zenimax) is just trying to milk their brand. Hopefully Todd Howard fights against that nonsense for TES6 like James Holliday fighting against Innovative Online Industries / Sorrento.
    So Happy likes this.
  6. So Happy Augur

For the first time ever a won't be purchasing a Fallout franchise game. While i like the idea of a Fallout based MMO, I think this one will be more of a first person shooter and has lost many of the intangibles that make the Fallout universe so special.