botting and rmt

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Eldrend, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Sagarmatha Augur

High end, tradeable items means more krono sales for Daybreak. They're not going to make the global rates NODROP. Not a chance.
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It is for most people in these kind of threads.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

They won't make current global rares no trade. Simply implement a drought of tradeable global rares for the next expansion so that botters will lose interest.

But yes, maybe Daybreak benefits from this shadow economy.
  4. Wizlard Augur

Exactly, half the truebot curious people in these threads wouldn't know the difference if it bit them in the behind. I could truebox and make it look to the average player like cheating.
  5. Ghubuk Augur

Yep. The ones that bot are trying to confuse it by saying it is is the same as boxing which it isn't.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

And the ones that want us to jump in a DeLorean and go back to 1999 try to confuse it all as well. But hey, it's another thread, carry on.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Kolani Augur

I wonder if OP realizes that EVE has the equivalent of a Krono too?
    code-zero and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I have to disagree. The ones who are purposefully misrepresenting things tend to be the people who hate that anyone can play more than one character at a time. They constantly and intentionally conflate the two as being the same, when as you say they are not.

For clarity, present day definitions:
    Boxing = the player actively controls all of the characters which they are playing. In other words, the characters do not do anything without the player having directly initiated that action.
    Botting = the actions of some or most of the characters being played have been fully automated such that the player does not have to interact with the game at all.

People who box are regularly thrown into the same category as those who bot, and treated as if they are evil. People who box and defend it are regularly accused of being botters simply because they support boxing and don't want to see it being further complicated than it already has been.

People who bot are usually stupidly open about it, and even they do not try to conflate the two as being the same. It is kind of hard to try to claim that characters which have been fully automated are the same as those which are actively controlled by the player.

The real issue that there are multiple programs which can be used by both those who box as well as by those who bot. The boxers who use these programs still actively control every character directly themselves, but the program makes it easier to change between characters and keep an eye on all of them. The botters use these programs in conjunction with add-ons for the programs which again automate the process.

Personally, I miss the days when boxing meant actively playing every character with equal skill and attention, botting meant just using a character for one specific thing (healing, buffing, etc.) and otherwise ignoring it, and macroing or cheating was what people called fully automated toons.
    Perplexed and Jumbur like this.
  9. fortuneteller Augur

I guess my mistake here was boxing & botting.

Botting = using some sort of Automatic script/3rd Tool to play. = Total illegal, and should be stopped.
    Boxing = playing multipl chars the normal way.. = Legal and allowed.

Took Ghubuk, to wanna ban boxers as well.

Now the thing about catching & banning them. Would say it is not so simple, they need to catch them in the act, cannot just ban/suspend them on the Word of the reporter alone. If they did, a lot of innocent would be hit as well.
    Jumbur likes this.
  10. Aurastrider Augur

For clarification sake I got a response back regarding broadcasting on non true box servers where the user is giving all input at the keyboard. Per the response this is ok. Some will still argue against it but when I return to the game I will continue to use isb under these guidelines. If me playing eq in a fashion that I find enjoyable upsets someone short of me intentionally grieving them that's their problem and I certainly wont lose any sleep at night. Some people just need to move on with their day and stop worrying about things that don't actually impact them.
    Sancus, NeverPayForLag, Quatr and 2 others like this.
  11. Nifty Slacker Augur

Eve online is an awesome game though. That's all I'm getting out of this thread.
  12. Intenso Augur

Just cause they say u can't do something dosnt make it illegal lolololol
  13. Tintaglia Elder

EVE Online IS an awesome game. I run multiple accounts, no broadcast software, not third party software of any kind, and have a blast. I mostly mine asteroids, as I find it relaxing. But you always have to be on the lookout for somebody that wants to kill you, because. We are also prosecuting a major war right now. I have a character set up and deployed to participate in that, and aside from the massive battles, it's a lot of fun.

For the massive battles, there are so many people in the system, all shooting , repairing, remote repairing (healing others), you have combat drones and space carrier fighters, all of which the server has to compute each an every action. They slow down the game play in order to keep the server processors from melting through the floor like a mini Chernobyl. Actions can take up to 90% longer than normal. It's not unheard of for a pilot to begin an attack, get up, go prep a meal, cook it, and then sit down to eat before the first shot is processed. And most of the time, even with server resources redesignated to accommodate the coming massive battle, the node crashes.

It's the small gang stuff and solo battles that are fun. Just yesterday (Saturday) I was in our regional trade hub dropping off some more ships to transport to the front for my dedicated PvP pilot, and a call for help appeared in local chat. I undocked in my carrier and warped to his location, where he and a few others were engaged by a gang of interceptors and an interdictor destroyer. I launched fighters, locked them all up, and attacked the nearest inty. Before my fighters could get there, two supercarriers and a force auxiliary (capital class healer ship) landed on grid, and the bad guys retreated.

My carrier pilot can also fly the capital industrial ship, which is a mining beast. But I felt I needed overwatch for my other two pilots flying the rorquals (cap indy ship) so I got him trained into the carrier. He is training up for the supercarrier now. It's paid off a few times, as bad guys have instantly retreated off grid as soon as they see fighters scrambling. Which is too bad, I really want some kill marks on my hull.

I have been back to playing EQ though. As with EVE, you never really quit, you just take extended breaks. I will be cooking my breakfast soon, but once the daily server downtime is complete, I will be logging onto my PvP pilot, and looking for some targets to hack. It's a process to weaken and then eventually destroy an enemy's control systems in a star system, and take over sovereignty. While I may not get any kills, if I complete successful hacks, I can get paid a bounty by our coalition. Also, I will be on the lookout for some sweet targets, because that's the only way to mine tears.
    Metanis and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  14. Ghubuk Augur

LOL, No, I don't want to ban boxers. I box myself (no 3rd party tool).
  15. Scorrpio Augur

What that blog post fails to mention is just how many of the banned accounts are paying ones and how many are free.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My underlying issue with botting, is that ones progression through the game should be a reflection of the effort you put into the game and your skill.

I don't mind boxers at all, as long as each char is being completely controlled by the player. What the box-crew can accomplish should be reflected by your skill at boxing(what you make your chars do in a given situation, and not just a pre-programmed AI-script).
    I don't mind stuff like ISB, Where people still actively play themselves(it probably does make minor things such as applying "double invis" easier than with a real group though :p )

Of course, full scale botting, where you just park an automated box-crew overnight, and collect plat/rares when you wake up, is just cheap...and completely messes up the economy of the game.

Does anyone believe that rares would still be that rare, if the devs weren't forced to compensate the droprate because of botting? Im sure thats a factor most people overlook in this debate...:(
    Sancus, xcitng, Quatr and 2 others like this.
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

Good to hear, Aura, wb in advance :)
    Sancus and Aurastrider like this.
  18. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

To be clear, the majority of the economy in EVE is player driven. You may be able to loot a blue print for a blingy ship, but you need a player to collect the salvage needed, a player to mine the ore needed, and a player with the skills to build the hull. If you want T2 equipment, well that takes a player to do that too, on all levels.

In EQ, very little of what can be crafted by players is actually useful. The items desired most are looted from an antiquated spawn system. Stuff that, especially in lower end content on say, a new TLP, is easily monopolized by a bot group. There aren't static spawns in EVE, aside from asteroid belts, and depending on where you are in space, security-wise, they aren't even touched because they are not worth your time.

What EVE has had recently in regards to RMT is an influx of Chinese players, fleeing the localized server in China. A recent war has solidified control of sov space by one large entity, and the pvp fun is gone now on that server. Unfortunately, RMT is mostly an accepted thing there, and when they moved here, they brought their botting systems with them. The majority of players getting warped to Yulai and getting their VERY expensive ships blown up, were Chinese. Hopefully, the message has been sent, and received, that botting and RMT is not allowed on the Tranquility server, and the few bad apples see the light. Where RMT comes into play in the botting operations, is selling PLEX for real cash for half what CCP sells it for on their website. Oh and MarkeeDragon's site, he is one of I think two official sellers authorized by CCP.