I'm curious to see how well a LITERAL, classic, EQ server would perform with today's standards.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sagarmatha, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Allizarx Journeyman

I great majority of the difficulty of classic was our own ignorance, which is hard to substitute. You would have to forget how to get to all the good camps, how to get around all the zones, where all the items drop and the named spawn etc.
  2. RandomStrategy Augur

It's like playing through Dark Souls for the first time without spoilers....you're never gonna get that experience back...no matter how hard you try.
  3. Gio1999 Augur

If I knew what I knew now back in original EQ.....wow.

Seriously though my xp path was more traveling between xp paths than actually gaining xp.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Prathun Developer

To my knowledge, no snapshot of EverQuest's code and data from March 1999 exists.
    Even if that code and data did exist, the game would not run on modern operating systems.
    Even if the game could run on a modern OS, reverting to the original code and data would reintroduce thousands of bugs. Some relatively benign, like typos or doors that opened the wrong way, but the Nasty ones too: content that does not work, item dupes, zone crashes, server crashes, etc.
    TheChosenOne, Skuz, Brunlin and 8 others like this.
  5. RandomStrategy Augur

....go on.....

:p
    Brunlin and Prathun like this.
  6. Rickate Augur

Genuinely hard is impractical, all it does is limit the game to the perma-group. Devs can easily make it long by lowering the XP rate. If you want long mix in as many un-rezzed deaths as you feel are appropriate to your leveling path.

EQ of 1999 being difficult is a myth, root and snare don't stack but you have so many absurdly powerful abilities to completely eliminate the damage output of the vast majority of mobs. Really stupid players (aka melee) stood right in front of mobs and pretended it was hard to kill mobs that a Necro could trivially solo. They further increased the difficulty by taking years to figure out if Flowing Black Silk Sash or Thick Banded Belt was superior but mostly it was the issue of standing in the only place that most mobs could damage the player.
  7. Febb Augur

A true classic server would be horrible and would die a very quick death.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  8. sumnayin Augur

Lost me at praising "today's gamer". I can't play a match in OW without 2 people being completely useless, or DoTA2 without at least 1 feeder on my team. Tried to enjoy Black Ops 2 back in the day but every deathmatch was me 25-4 with all my teammates combining for 35-96...every game.
  9. Hinastrom Elder

Unless the server comes with the requirement of having your memory erased by a younger Will Smith with a certain tool.....classic everquest is gone...poof....does not exist.

You can recreate everything down to the last pixel, but you can't erase all the player knowledge alot of us now have.

Its gone. Stop torturing yourself thinking its there somewhere if devs would just spend enough time and money.

Gonna be the same thing for WoW's eventual vanilla servers...people who temper their expectations will have some fun...but people going in expecting a recreation of the 2004 experience are going to be very disappointed. And we'll get to hear about it on forums for years.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Numiko Augur

but being able to ninja loot stuff off mobs without the rest of the group/raid knowing it and selling it on E-bay is what made EQ so much fun in 1999!

that and when you consented a person and it let them loot all your stuff should be put back in right away!!!

;):rolleyes: :eek:
    Quatr and Prathun like this.
  11. snailish Augur

Zones respawning in random intervals throughout the week with the NPC's from other zones taking their place is about the only way to really make the game have some of that unknown and risky feel again.

Up the ante and use that trick where the mob doesn't reveal it's true face until you partly kill it.

Run up to a random skelly in Nektulos... oops its a level 60 Trooper Mozo.

Fun times.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Despite the many times when I feel the "vision" has made mistakes, the current gameplay is far superior to older gameplay. I've played since 1999 and too many things we had back then have been "fixed" for me to ever want to play that game again.

Yes, I do miss some things and I do feel certain decisions were not good ones but overall the game is better. Much better.

Now if we could only get ten times the current number of developers and coders working on the game to fix the bugs and create new content...:D
    Genoane, Yinla, Quatr and 2 others like this.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

That was me when I tried DOTA. I just couldn't (or wasn't motivated to) get past it.
  14. Gingyr Elder

attack torb is totally viable bro.....
  15. Bigstomp Augur

As others have said. Original EQ was easy, if you knew how it worked.
    Nobody knew how it worked. That's what made it hard.

As knowledge has spread you can never have that cluelessness back. (although I think some people carry it to this day)
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Quatr Augur

To me, the magical thing about the original EQ was that it was a living world, not just a game. I have no idea how to recreate that feeling.
    Byzah likes this.
  17. malaki Augur

Bring back the patch where you could forage Nagafen loot.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Imho there was way too much downtime in the old EQ.
    You would spend far too much time trying to build a functional group(healers were kinda rare). And if you were soloing, the lack of OOC-regen meant you had to take long breaks between pulls.

If TSS hadn't introduced OOC-regen, I wouldn't have returned to EQ.

EQ back then was a "waiting game", it had severe pacing problems imo :(

Note: I havn't experienced "classic EQ", so im basing my opinion on starting my first char in the early velious-era...
  19. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Ogre wonder what it like to take froggy, shove into own eye, through skull, into brain. Slowly. Then yank out and try again on other eye.

Ogre not wonder so much that Ogre actually do it.
  20. Nolrog Augur

Seriously, why would anyone want this? I can understand the appeal of classic zones but staring into your spell book to med and all those kind of things are just mind numbing.