Raid lag issue

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Maedhros, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Maedhros High King

I've reached out to some players from various raid guilds and for the most part its been a pretty clear consensus that the lag is becoming out of control.
    When ROS initially opened, the lag issue was pretty much nil. Events ran really smooth and until Cactus-gate, I had never been happier with an expansion launch in terms of bugs or random other problems.
    Since early spring, the lag monster has been a major obstacle however.
    Certain events, the lag is worse than others.

On the Fell Foliage raid considerable delays in the percentage based adds is a pretty big problem. The raid becomes a mess if 3 sets of adds decide to pop all at once when the script catches up. It seems like an easy solution to remove the base pop from the raid. Removing the massive amount of npc trash could only reduce lag issues from my perspective.

On Crypt robbers, the script text for hailing the ABCD mobs is lagging upwards of 3 to 5 seconds. Its quite easy to over-dps and miss a clue entirely. I think a good solution on this raid would be to lock Drusella's HPs at the clue percentages.

Sathir Line has considerable lag issues as well, but its harder to figure out whats causing it on this fight. Hopefully the change to Drusella's pathing will eliminate some of the problems, but It feels like the trash adds do have a bit of lag too.

I don't know what can be done, but some effort to reduce the lag issues on these 3 raids in particular would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

I think server side lag has increased.
    I've done droga on casual raids and we've had something like 8 golems show up at once long after they should have started spawning.
    (thankfully the boss died, because that would have been an epic explosion otherwise)
    Barton and Maedhros like this.
  3. Sancus Augur

This is the single biggest issue I have with EverQuest right now; something needs to be done to address this.

It's a really weird issue overall, though. I raid on three servers, Xegony, FV, and Luclin. On FV the lag is atrocious in every raid instance. It's especially bad when the guild is burning, but continues throughout the event. We've actually gotten Cactus and Skyfire to lag so much that swarm pets began showing up on xtar, dying, and then respawning, giving most people in raid the Slayer Achievements for pet types like gargoyles.

On Xegony we sometimes have a lot of lag, but it's far more intermittent. We got the Overthere raid on Sunday, for example, and the instance was so laggy that it was unplayable and we TL'ed/got a new one. The second instance was perfect, and my pet did about 5x his normal DPS on that raid (it's normally abysmal, so don't worry, 5x still isn't that much). This echoes my broader experience on Xegony - sometimes instances are terrible and sometimes they're fine. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

On Luclin there's slight variation, but it's overall far less laggy than the other two servers. This might relate to the server population, as I believe FV is the most populous of the three and Luclin is the least. I don't think Luclin's popualtion is that different from Xegony's, though. I think it's much more likely that it's related to the guild's performance (or lack thereof). There seems to be a correlation between high DPS players all burning at the same time (presumably using lots of procs and pets and things) and lag.

The client/server updates a few months ago seemed to help in the short run, but it's still incredibly bad. I don't know why the lag has increased so much recently especially. Chardok could lag a decent amount in EoK and Droga was terrible if you had enough DPS, but much or RoS is like that. I don't recall this sort of lag at all in TBM/TDS/CotF/etc. I'm not sure what changed so drastically, but it can make raiding incredibly frustrating.
    Barton, Sheex, Warpeace and 3 others like this.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

I realize the needed investment to change to cloud hosting might be too large to stomach, but I am worried that DBGs choice to host their own hardware will be an increasing problem for the business and players. I would hope that they are working on progressively moving components to the cloud, building and maturing their capabilities.

I know how the internal resistance to these changes can hold back the decisions in a company, but it only gets worse over time, and building a mature internal capability takes years. Remember to use Terraform and Infrastructure as code, and stick to open source components on the server infrastructure :)
  5. gotwar Gotcharms

To give an example of just how bad this is, here's our Cactus attempt last Monday. We get him to ~46% before a single HP triggered add spawns. Also note that I'm mashing a multibind throughout the event - you can see how it gets affected by the lag, only cycling two spells instead of the three it should. Lastly, it shows off the infinite swarmpet deathloop, and shows off the slideshow that is the first part of Talendor/Phara Dar.

These conditions are borderline unplayable; at the very least, they are incredibly anti-fun. We've been living with this on FV for a couple years now. While it got a little better right after RoS launch, we're right back to being in the crapper again.

Excuse my poor play, multitasking is hard. Also, my framerate is very low while recording, but this isn't client side lag - everyone in the raid is having a similar experience with ability fires/spell lockouts, and of course, the appearance of the NPCs and delay on scripts:

Some kind of permanent fix, or at least word that one is being worked on, would be great. We can't even play the events as intended because there's too much lag. That's very bad.
    Maedhros, kizant, Warpeace and 2 others like this.
  6. Fnyanea Augur

The final event in EOK constantly resets before all 7 mobs pop through portal. When we first done this event, it would happen 1 in 10 attempts. But the last few weeks, it resets 3 or 4 times on us.... we get new DZ.... same thing.... after around 10 attempts, we finally get through the first two waves..... either address this lag.. or adjust the script to give the 7th mob more time.
  7. Maedhros High King

Thats always been a problem that I do not think is related to the lag, so much as a broken or awkward script. Tell your tanks to put a non dmg weapon on their primary.. mod rod, Darkened Cone, ALEX etc and tell all of your dps to sit on their hands until all 7 mobs have spawned - then slowly engage and balance them down.
    Vaniddar and Bigstomp like this.
  8. Fnyanea Augur

We used to do it fine. We know not to dps them till they are all up. The event is broken and lag makes it worse. Some times the 7th mob even pops and is on extended target... event still resets
  9. Maedhros High King

I get that, but tanks riposting is enough to overdps. You have to stress the non-dmg tank weapons.
    Vaniddar likes this.
  10. Orienn TreeHugger

We can't request VP or Cactus now either and SF.

Edit: Was super delayed took 10 mins to get VP
  11. Nudia Augur

Crafty solution to raid lag - don't let anyone request raids!

[IMG]
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Fnyanea Augur

Why are you so keen to defend a broken event thats made even worse due to lag? When did you last do this raid?
  13. Bigstomp Augur

I assume 5 atrocious cacti and 5 sets of adds at once is not by design.
  14. Aldryn Another New Member

15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Doing the Atrocious achievement tonight... the surreal didn't despawn immediately. Another Atrocious spawned... then another.. then another... then another... The first Atrocious was at 10%, and his HP locked along with the named. More mobs spawned from all the seeds that were up - at least double the number that should have.

It was actually quite comical, despite the obvious wipe.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  16. Playful Journeyman

Talendor you're drunk, go home. Oh wait, you can't because the lag is so bad..
  17. gotwar Gotcharms

Posting to bump this, because it's a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Waiting for Monday night raids to start and anticipating another fun night of lag breaking scripts and making raiding a lot less enjoyable than it should be.
  18. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Mr favorite is the Sathir3 lag.

If I Harm Touch one of the bosses it takes an average of ~4 fd’s for the server to realize I’m actually on the ground and lower my aggro accordingly. Death’s Effigy fade works also but can take quite awhile, too, and a lot of the time I’m not trying to fade off everything, just avoid pointlessly ponging aggro off the MT. If I get emoted to kite and have to flop off adds it can be pretty rough, too.

Bump for this being something worthy of dev attention.

So what you’re saying is, you’re admitting to actively participating in sploitz to get your Megadeath achievement?

Oh FQCSancus...how could you. I will say good day to you, sir. :(
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is thanks to the new anti-hacking code. Takes a lot of CPU to sift through that much data looking for hax.
    Metanis likes this.
  20. Metanis Bad Company

If they'd just ban 50% of their users all these performance issues would solve themselves. (At least until management asked them to retire 75% of their hardware assets due to the reduced player count.)
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.