Ranger Danger!

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Saer-tse-tao, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Saer-tse-tao Journeyman

Hello my name is Treasonn and I am a ranger.
    Thats how these ranger threads all start right?
    I am not new to the game, but fairly new to playing a ranger. Can someone, in a constructive manner, please describe the best way to pull with a ranger?

I am not looking for the following:
    1. Hit the mob
    2. Hit the mob and run back to the tank
    3. Root the mob and shoot it
    4. Snare the mob and run back to a tank
    I think you get the idea. Split pulls or pulling a named mob and surviving with minimal tank/agro assist. Thank you!
  2. Saer-tse-tao Journeyman

WTH happened to the font size there? Lol sorry everyone
  3. Turbodog New Member

4. Moldar Augur

Im confused by your post somewhat. I cannot tell if this is for soloing or breaking a camp (aka pulling back npc x to group (who normally has a tank) for it to kill it)

If you're in a group scenario then I hate to break it to you, but all pulling is basically as you described almost perfectly:
    If your soloing it is basically the same thing except that you have now taken on the role of the puller, the dps, the healer/extra healer, and the tank!

But as far as ranger pulling/splitting goes, some things to know about are:

1. Ranger pulling is a weird combination of:
    A.) tag npc and run back to kill location,
    B.) ghetto crowd control,
    C.) memory blurs,

2. Splitting a name or trash npc is relatively easy assuming a few things:
    A.) the npc is not immune to SNARE
    B.) the npc is not immune to ROOT
    C.) the npc is not immune to MEMORY BLURs
    D.) the npc is not immune to/higher level than your LULL / HARMONIUS ARROW caps out at
    E.) the npc is not higher level than your "fade" (cover tracks) can blur
    F.) the npc is not "leashed" to another npc (almost like a pet)

Note: at higher levels, some zones, or npcs, will be immune to some or all of the above. in some cases it will be just 1 immunity and the rest of your "kit" can still, albeit with some more difficulty, handle it; however, there are some zones/npcs where if they are immune most/all of the above you are simply left with one option: "tag, run, and pray"

3. The tools/spells/etc we have available to us are:
    A.) Flusterbolt
    B.) Blusterbolt
    C.) Vinelash Cascade/Assault
    D.) Entrap (or generic snare spell)
    C.) Grasp of Sylvan Spirits (or generic single target root spell)
    E.) Cover Tracks
    F.) Your Bow & Arrow(s) / Throwing weapon(s) - Note: can be dangerous to use on NPC's that have the potential to summon you upon taking damage at higher levels
    G.) Any ranged debuff spell/click item/etc that does NOT deal damage
    H.) Body pulling!!

Here are the most generic/common scenarios your going to come across

1.1 2 npc close to each other to pull individually that need to be split (non-named) -- we have npc A and npc B, and we want to pull A.

A.) target npc B, cast Flusterbolt or Blusterbolt on him, it will be rooted and then have a 100% chance to be mem-blured.
    B.) pull A back to kill location.

1.2 2 npc close to each other that need to be split (named) -- we have NAMED and npc B, and we want to pull NAMED.

A.) Target npc B, cast Flusterbolt or Blusterbolt on him, it will be rooted and then have a 100% chance to be mem-blured.
    B.) Pull NAMED back to kill location.

2.1 3+ npc too close to be pulled individually that need to be split (non-named) -- we have npc A, npc B, npc C, and possibly more, and we want to pull npc A.

A.) Target npc B, cast Flusterbolt, it will be rooted and then have a 100% chance to be mem-blured.
    B.) Target npc C, cast Blusterbolt, it will be rooted and then have a 100% chance to be mem-blured.
    C.) [Your extended target window will have multiple names in it, simply wait until all names except the one you wanted are off the extended target window, if they come back, repeat steps A and B] Pull npc A to kill location

Note: if there are more than 3 NPC, then you will skip steps A and B and simply cast Vinelash Cascade/Assault and then dispel/break root on npc A, move npc A from pack, then fade using Cover Tracks.

2.2 3+ npc too close to be pulled individually that need to be split (named) -- we have NAMED, npc B, npc C, and possibly more, and we want to pull NAMED.

A.) Target npc B, cast Flusterbolt, it will be rooted and then have a 100% chance to be mem-blured.
    B.) Target npc C, cast Blusterbolt, it will be rooted and then have a 100% chance to be mem-blured.
    C.) [Your extended target window will have multiple names in it, simply wait until all names except the one you wanted are off the extended target window, if they come back, repeat steps A and B] Pull NAMED to kill location

Note: if there are more than 3 NPC, then you will skip steps A and B and simply cast Vinelash Cascade/Assault [NAMED will be immune to root 9/10 times], run NAMED from pack, then fade using Cover Tracks.

hopefully, you recognize the pattern, typically the more NPCS vinelash and fade are the premier choice, for less mobs the premier choice is flusterbolt and blusterbolt

There are many variations to this, and it can certaintly can get more complicated, but that is the most basic split pulling techniques for rangers these days.
    Turbodog likes this.
  5. Belexes ForumQuester

When using Fluster and Bluster, use your ensnare aa on them first then punt them out of the way using Fluster and Bluster. When those wear off, the mob will remain in that spot for quite some time before pathing back to where it lives or roams. This is called parking. There are a lot of uses for this. Most should be obvious to any ranger.

Know the mobs you are pulling and craft your pulling strategy based on their characteristics.

Sometimes I use a really weak dot on mobs that summon in order to pull them and I don't want them snared.

Don't forget your Lull spells. They do work in many instances. Make sure use the right one for the situation.

For example in EoK Sarnak dungeons you have the dog-like mob and a sarnak together. Dog is dark blue and Sarnak is the same or maybe white conned. Lull the sarnak and pull the dog. Dogs don't respond as well to lull spells.

I use Drifting Smoke and Lingering Smoke a lot when I have situations I need a single pull out of a group. Those situations still exist, just not as common. One of these can be used inside, the other can't.

You as the puller need to understand your group and tailor your strategy to them. If have a strong tank and healer who are good at their jobs, your job is easier. Make sure you tell them how you are going to pull. They may want doubles, triples or quad pulls. Learn how to do them all. Learn how to queue up mobs via parking.

Learn to be efficient. Don't snare a mob halfway across the zone from your group. Get the mob there fast. Know how the zone mobs path and their aggro radius size for the mobs you are pulling.

Be ready and willing to die for the group. Don't let bad pulls kill your group. Take it like a ranger. :)

Learn all the methods and get good with them. You can't just use one or two methods. Dungeons, and other types of zones may demand a different method.

Rangers can be among the best pullers in the game and decent crowd control if you know what you are doing.

Practice, practice, practice...Going to die practicing and learning, so get used to it.