EQtraders

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Annastasya, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Annastasya Augur

Anyone know what's going on over there?
  2. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The host did something to the servers that's messed things up. And I have less time to work on fixes.
    Gana, Sancus, Maedhros and 5 others like this.
  3. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

You might check in your error log and see what errors its spitting out. Let me know if ya need help, I run two web servers myself.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

Most of us do not say this nearly enough.

Thank You!
    Fanra, Gana, Sancus and 3 others like this.
  5. Niami DenMother Apprentice

Yeah, poor Ngreth put in a chunk of time this past weekend beating now-broken code into submission so players could access the content, and we could sort of, kind of, make updates to articles and the front page for both sites. Then more broke on the EQ side this m*rning. We just can't catch a break right now, and since I can't do the code-juggling needed, it has to wait until he has more time.

We're sorry about the downtime, as we know it is frustrating when you're trying to look things up and Bristlebane says "pppphhhhlbbbbb - nope!" but know that we're equally frustrated, if not more so. Thanks for hanging in there, folks!.
    Xeladom, Fanra, Gana and 7 others like this.
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Thanks for all that both of you guys do for the site on your own time. Much appreciated.

If people are jerks about a little downtime, I’ll fight them for you :)
    Fanra, Maedhros and Niami DenMother like this.
  7. Niami DenMother Apprentice

They're not being jerks so much as whimpering from multiple directions at once, and I was already frazzled. Some people know farrrr too many ways to catch me (EQ2, Discord, Facebook, forums, etc., etc.) :)
    Fanra likes this.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

The Wayback Machine has a snapshot of the site from a few months ago, for people that really need their tradeskill fix: https://web.archive.org/web/20180224033704/http://www.eqtraders.com/

The search won't work, but you can get lists of recipes and links to the materials. Between that and Google's cached pages for specific items, it should tide everyone over until it's up and running again.
    Geroblue, Fanra and Mehregan like this.
  9. Gnomereaper Augur

Well, Mrs. Bell thank you for the work you've put in over the years and the same with Mr. Bell.
    Niami DenMother likes this.
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

They upgraded to a version of PHP that making all of my PHP based MySQL code invalid... so I have to make a massive amount of changes to the code. Thought I had it, but obviously something went wrong. I'll have time Saturday :/ Maybe some Thursday Evening.
    IblisTheMage, Fanra, Yinla and 3 others like this.
  11. Cleaver Augur

They don't give you the option to use older version of php ? All my host still let me go all way back to 5.4.
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Now that it's advertised here, it's probably not a good idea to revert to a version that was probably updated for security concerns :)
    Fanra and Rorce like this.
  13. Thunderkiks Augur

Thanks Ngreth, I'm working JC to 350 on my rogue. It sucks that the site is down but I'm making due by looking up the recipes on this toon and combining on the rogue.

Hope you get it fixed soon and as painless as possible for your own sanity :)
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

RHEL/CentOS 7 will keep 5.4 secure until 2024. RHEL 6/CentOS6 will have PHP 5.3 secure until 2020... Other distros will have 5.5 and 5.6 secure until various times in the future. They backport security updates until the OS end of life.
  15. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

The change from mysql to mysqli queries can be time consuming if you don't have a central variable set as your query and then call that for all your queries for that type. I've converted a couple sites before from old versions of php that weren't coded in that way and it can be time consuming doing it by hand for every query. You might load up all the scripts in a editor like Editplus or Atom and do a search and replace on particular queries, insert your database variable into it and then onto the next.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Don't even play anymore, but just saw this, and wanted to chime in a big thanks to you both for making this available over the years! It's always been greatly appreciated.
    Fanra and Niami DenMother like this.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

If you say so :) wikipedia shows support for 5.4 ended in 2015 and support for 5.5 ended in 2016. EDIT: I understand RHEL/CentOS may be doing their own upkeep.

But regardless, we don't know what version eqtraders.com is using. https://web.archive.org/web/*/eqtraders.com shows the earliest access in 1999, so for all we know, it was written using PHP 3 or earlier :)
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Sure does... but re-read what I said. They backport security fixes. It's what Enterprise OS's do for the lifetime of the release.
  19. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Sure, but does that mean that entire functions that are depreciated/removed from current versions due to security concerns are being updated to meet contemporary security standards? I don't think so...or nobody would ever bother to upgrade.
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You're amusing.