Technical question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aurastrider, Jul 30, 2018.

1. svann Augur

Im telling you that was not the official word. If I lie they can ban me for it.
  2. Angahran Augur

GINA - does not effect EQ in any way.
    Gamparse - does not effect EQ in any way.
    [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] - doesn't effect EQ any more than your keyboard/mouse does.
    Metanis likes this.
  3. Angahran Augur

Please do. I'd be really interested in knowing how a program that can only read a file could possibly manipulate EQ, without someone taking, rewriting it and basically making it into something totally different.
  4. skabe Elder

it can however fall under
    or do you not see how controlling multiple characters while boxing without having to tab > click social etc > rinse repeat for each character you are playing is an advantage over those who do so? If it not then why do you use it ?
  5. skabe Elder

BTW if there was a clear statement from DBG that said that the "unmentioned" third party program utilized within certain limits was NOT a breach of the rules I would be tempted to use it again myself. Just for the QoL it provides. Tab boxing to run multiple characters can give a guy a quick case of carpal tunnel LoL or at the least make one feel like he needs a second or third set of hands to manage it all quickly and effectively.
    Caveat being I acknowledge that DBG or any representative of that company is restricted from endorsing etc. anything they do not own or provide themselves.
  6. Angahran Augur

So, you being able to 'tab, click a social, etc' gives you a clear advantage over someone who has carpel tunnel.
    Is being able to press one key instead of three (tab, press social, tab back) such a huge advantage that you'd rather someone be in physical pain than allow them to use this software ?

As has been stated, this software does not provide any 'automation', it simply allows keyboard and mouse commands to be handled more efficiently.
  7. Ghubuk Augur

What about someone using it to run 12, 15, 20 ......... accounts?
  8. mmats Augur

For anyone still worried about this issue, here is the solution.

[IMG]
  9. Angahran Augur

I think anyone who has 12, 15, 20 accounts already has an advantage over the 'average' player.
  10. Ghubuk Augur

Except it is darn near impossible to run that many accounts utilizing alt tab.
    But you know what? I give up. If you can't see that how and what you are doing with 3rd party software/hardware is the defining issue on whether or not it is exploitative (and not necessarily the 3rd party software/hardware itself), then I guess there really is nothing further I can say.
  11. skabe Elder

Been playing devil's advocate here to put a spotlight on the elephant in the room .... Does using third party multi-boxing software provide the individual player with some advantages / benefits ..... UNDENIABLY SO!! If it did not, no one would be using it.
    The question for DBG is does it constitute "an unfair advantage over other players"? The player base will find out if and when suspensions or bans are handed down. Or someone from DBG comes forward with a less vague statement.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Given the time that has passed since the original announcement, I am wondering just what is at work here. Some clarification is still in order.
  13. Aurastrider Augur

Here is the thing the average joe who uses said software is not running more than a full group if that. Some people like myself also load up our buff bots but they rarely ever see combat except when there is a level increase and they need to be leveled up to get the newest versions of their buffs. People like myself hand out buffs freely to those who ask for them so the advantage of me having them up is not unfair considering I share my buffs with others. Plus when you take into account there are physical devises that have been created to push keys on multiple keyboards at the same time with input from the user. If I decided to get six towers and monitors and keyboards and make my own contraption that when I pushed 1 it manually pushes 1 on all 6 keyboards would this be an unfair advantage considering it is not a "program?" This is how broadcasting even made its way into the mmo community from my understanding is from people that could clearly show broadcasting could be achieved without the use of any programs at all but rather from an afternoon in the shop making a computer accessory for their keyboard. If an accessory such as this is considered an unfair advantage then we have to investigate all accessories outside of a standard mouse and keyboard. The bottom line is the terms "unfair and advantage" are subjective so without a definition of what exactly is considered unfair and an advantage within the ruleset anyone can claim just about anything is unfair or an advantage over someone else.
  14. Janakin Augur

Be careful using group coth and evac, heard it is giving out false positives for warping. I tend to believe my friend that is what he was doing.
  15. Ghubuk Augur

I use both often and no issues so far. I am fairly certain the new algorithm doesn't ban, it just flags for further review.
  16. Janakin Augur

He said he got a 2 week suspension, not a ban. He uses 2 mages and a druid and was coth'ing and evac'ing around.
  17. Tucoh Augur

I have to imagine that DBG has ways to differentiate warping vs cothing, given the number of box groups that heavily rely on coth.

I wonder if that system would fail in some way due to using two mages and a druid. You could concievably keep three lower level areas separated by quite a bit of distance on lockdown by cycling through 2x coth's and an evac.
    Janakin likes this.
  18. Angahran Augur

There is a massive difference between Joe Average using window control/keyboard or mouse broadcasting software to help him run a group of characters VS the 'professional' bot armies that use automation/warping/mob loot scanning software to control 20, 30, 50+ characters with zero human interaction, 24/7/365.

All we wan't is DBG to acknowledge this distinction. And maybe validate the previous post from Piestro that actually gave useful guidelines on what is and what is not 'accepted'.
  19. Ghubuk Augur

So you agree that using broadcast software to run multiple groups of characters is not acceptable then?
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Round and round we go... same few people replying to each other. Let it go.