Technical question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aurastrider, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Ghubuk Augur

Because as mentioned before, people take software that might not be considered exploitive currently and change it/use it in a manner that is exploitive. So you just need to use common sense and think to yourself, is the 3rd party software/hardware only allowing me to do basically the same thing as what most people could do in the game without it at roughly the same level of expertise (or whatever term you want to use).
  2. Ghubuk Augur

Oh and before it comes up. If you cannot use common sense, then getting banned from this game will probably be the least of the issues you will run into during life.
  3. Angahran Augur

So, how about this, from DBG:
    1. If it simply reads the log file or other output files (e.g. from the /outputfile ingame command), it is ok.
    2. If it provides window control and key broadcasting, it is ok.
    3. Using keyboard/mouse 'auto' functions, as provided by many gaming peripherals, is ok.

None of those allow for the automated bot groups, warping, showing mob loot tables before death or other obvious 'cheats'.
  4. Angahran Augur

I can use common sense, but I have yet to see any evidence that DBG can.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

#2 sure sounds like automated play since you can send commands to a session that is in the background and isn't on the screen for the player to see.
  6. Ghubuk Augur

I can think of various ways all three of those could be used to automate/cheat gameplay (which I am not going to get into). Under normal circumstances would they? No. But could they? Yes.
    So, in the end, you have to make the determination that; are you or the 3rd party software/hardware you are using only using any of those functions in a way that provides you with the same/similar benefits of playing without them.
  7. Ghubuk Augur

I wasn't specifically point you out Angahran. I was using "you" in the general sense.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

This thread is just like a...

[IMG]
    Janakin and Tucoh like this.
  9. Daedly Augur

Is it possible to make a UI element show information from different EQ client using the current editing options?
  10. Angahran Augur

No.
    Tucoh likes this.
  11. Daedly Augur

Figured not, thanks.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I have used Remote Desktop Control to run EQ before. It was cool.
  13. Aurastrider Augur

Well I got a response back from my ticket that I submitted as suggested in the announcements post. This has to be one of the worst fails at CS I have ever experienced with a company. Basically they referred me to https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015664167-What-is-considered-cheating-

If this is the kind of response we are going to be given with questions why not just direct the player base to this very subjective link to begin with? I am one of EQ's biggest fans but how they handled this whole thing is making me rethink how I spend my free time and money. They would have been better off not posting anything and just going about business as usual. I seriously have zero idea what kind of positive outcome they could have thought would come from that post without being prepared to answer their customers questions. With such an open ended announcement they certainly had to of known that their players would have some questions.

Never have I paid for a product or service and had to wonder if using such product or service might get me into trouble with the company I am paying. This is a rather odd way to go about business in which the customer is made to believe they are some how privileged to use the product instead of the company feeling grateful that the customer is there to keep them in business. The end result from all of this is going to be less players willing to buy multiple expansions or subscriptions out of fear of being banned for using programs that they were fairly certain were within the rules but now question what the rules even are. Without some kind of reassurance that players wont be spending their money on a product and service that will just be taken away from them with no refund how can they expect their customers to open their wallets up without hesitation?
  14. Tucoh Augur

What's funny about this answer from DBG is that Lax literally reaches out to DBG to find out what is allowed, and only creates features in ISB within those guidelines. They generally don't respond to him, so he just assumes one key press = one action (and not even per character like WoW has) and works within that.
  15. Angahran Augur

I'd be interested in how you think something that only reads log files (#1) could possibly automate anything.

For GINA in particular, I know of people who use this because they would be unable to play without it due to hearing or sight issues. GINA allows you to put very large text onto the screen in response to text being written to the log file. This means if you eyesight isn't great you can still play and respond to important events. Also, audio triggers only help if you can hear them, so being able to create a 'visual trigger' means people who a deaf can actually play.
  16. Warpeace Augur

So, anyone banned yet?
    kizant likes this.
  17. kizant Augur

This thread is ridiculous. GINA is 100% fine so it's not worth talking about. Even ISB is more than likely perfectly fine. They just posted a statement to remind people of their stance. There's really no good reason to think anything has changed. This was funny seeing people all worked up for a few days but now it's just annoying.
  18. Ghubuk Augur

As I stated, I won't get into how it could be used exploitively.
    I also stated that normally it wouldn't be exploitative. All I am saying is that is why they won't make a list of programs because it isn't necessarily the program that is the issue but in how it is being used.
    Utilize common sense and understand that as long as you aren't doing something that would be considered giving you a massive advantage that normally cannot be attained using in game methods is what can run you into trouble. They aren't looking to randomly ban people and lose money.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You realize you've completely jumped the shark right?
  20. Millianna Augur

It's not difficult at all. They can either be specific (cite examples) or provide us with the add-ons like other gamming companies do. I am sure most would endorse an in game parse and better UI control of timers.

In my opinion, this policy update targets TLP servers only. I honestly do not think they care about live servers so long as they do not lose money because of afk bot armies.