Coirnav Monk vs Rogue dps

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Faelim, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Faelim Lorekeeper

Starting a new character. Rogue vs Monk dps. Who's got pros and cons. Never played either of these classes.
  2. Litoeon Lorekeeper

Expect to pull a lot on the monk
    Expect the rogue to be gear dependent while also paying attention to positioning
    Both are great with gear
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

On Agnarr there was really no reason to roll rogue until Luclin. Monks had all the utility and the dps.

Rogues got sneak.
  4. Hadesborne Augur

Can't illusion through doors anymore so the rogue has become more viable in groups that want to do content locked behind doors.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Which helps virtually never...

Seb Crypt (poor exp anyways) and getting to deep Chardok, but that's not an exp spot.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Rogue is just a worse monk in Everquest these days.
  7. Mithra Augur

Listen to Bobby. Rogue dps is always a bit behind Monk and we lack utility.
  8. a_librarian Augur

Rogues have an easy epic, and don't have to pull. Easy choice
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  9. Nifty Slacker Augur

Not sure which one would get more dps on such an early expansion. But I would pick monk. Monks get mend, they can solo a bit, and they can pull and feign death. Much more utility than a rogue.

I started a monk back in Planes of power when it came out. No mercs, no rested bonus. It was fun, but gear was a nightmare back then. I don't want to go back lol
  10. malaki Augur

Rogues are consistently behind monks until much later on and then Rogues seem to pull slightly ahead on sustained dps, but are still well behind on burn fights. Soloing in TLP is pretty terrible in general, but monk is certainly orders of magnitude better at it than rogues are.
    Nifty Slacker likes this.
  11. Coppercoz Augur

Also consider that if you ever 2 (or 3) box, that nothing really pairs well with rogue. Sure, it can be done with gear, but there's much better combos with monk. And, it'll take quite a few expansions until chaotic stab(I think that's the bs from the front) is worth a darn.
  12. Machentoo Augur

Monks also have an easy epic, and don't have to pull. If the choice is between a monk that doesn't want to pull and a rogue that doesn't want to pull, do you really think the group is going to take the rogue? Especially when the most useful thing the rogue can do is pull and free up the monk to dps?
  13. Faelim Lorekeeper

Thanks for the responses guys. Not a huge puller fan, made a rogue, got to 11, definitely going Monk now. I don't mind pulling, just gotta stop be so lazy haha. Thanks again!
  14. a_librarian Augur

Check out Brewall's map pack if you haven't already it's an amazing resource for pulling in dungeons
  15. Raltar Augur

If you are in it for the long haul, monks eventually fall way behind rogues for DPS. Like, super far behind. But even up to OoW, monks are still top melee DPS...though we have several 2.0 monks and no 2.0 rogues, so that might be skewing things.
  16. Risiko Augur

I played a Vahshir Rogue back in the day during the Shadows of Luclin and Planes of Power expansions, and it was a great class to play.

I wasn't top DPS all the time, but it didn't matter because I liked the play style and have a lot of fun playing with friends.

Hell I might make another rogue some day lol. Sigh... another alt/main... NO NO NO... sigh...Here I go again.
  17. Osco Journeyman

This has been happening constantly. Every time I get in a group with one spot left, the leader says "We have a choice between a monk that doesn't want to pull and a rogue that doesn't want to pull... AGAIN!"

:rolleyes:
    Boze likes this.
  18. Alekyne Journeyman

Yeah, I don’t get that. If you’re going to roll a monk, you should expect to be pulling. I mean it’s an exp group, what’s the issue?
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

When im in a longer exp group ive learned to be upfront and ask..
    Do you pull here, charm here, etc. Avoid the disappointment imo.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

This is true but it's also dumb. What's the advantage of a monk pulling? Stuff is so easy that you just pull a bunch and let the enchanter do her thing. In that scenario I'd rather have the monk in camp and doing DPS than out pulling. People are dumb, though. /shrug