Constant Disconnects

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Belexes, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Belexes ForumQuester

I box two accounts on two PCs. I used to have 2 Win7 machines and one was old and slow. Old hardware. I brought home a very nice loaded Win8.1 machine that screams and works nice. The problem is this Win 8.1 machine is causing frequent disconnects from the game. The other Win 7 machine works great and they are both on same router, hard wired. The Win 8.1 machine has Norton Anti-virus installed but even if I disable it, the disconnects still happen.

The NIC is a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller and I have updated the driver for it and no luck. I reinstalled EQ. No luck. Here is the info from dbg.txt below. Anyone got any insight as to why this Win 8.1 machine is having these issues where as the Win 7 before it didn't?

[Wed Aug 01 11:00:46 2018]02504:Setting up character.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:00:46 2018]02505:Activating music.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:00:46 2018]02506:Initialization complete.
    Entering main loop.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:00:46 2018]02507:Memory: Load: 24, Total Phys: 16337, Avail Phys: 12363, Total Page: 16737, Avail Page: 12738, Total Virtual: 4095, Avail Virtual: 2716, FreeBlocks: 2032,155,96,81,61,60,32,27,15,14
    [Wed Aug 01 11:00:46 2018]02508:MaxTextures: 92720k, CurrentTextures: 39560k, HighQualityTextures: 36026k
    [Wed Aug 01 11:01:00 2018]00371:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture fire_missle.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:04:27 2018]00372:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture smoketrail1.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:04:47 2018]00373:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_grey02.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:04:47 2018]00374:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture zapmuza.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:04:49 2018]00375:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture flare_blue01.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:05:01 2018]00376:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture zapmuza.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:05:05 2018]00377:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture blueglobesp501.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:05:06 2018]00378:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture zapmuza.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:05:14 2018]00379:D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() failed to create texture greyglobesp501.dds for particle system.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:07:53 2018]00380:Lost D3D device. Waiting for reset.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:08:17 2018]02509:Networking: connection terminated [client:DisconnectReasonTimeout,server:DisconnectReasonNone]
    [Wed Aug 01 11:08:17 2018]02510:disconnected at c:\p4\EverQuest\live\EverQuest\EverQuest.cpp:18134 (char. select) DisconnectReasonTimeout
    [Wed Aug 01 11:08:17 2018]02511:Character is Baree.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:08:17 2018]02512:YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED.
    [Wed Aug 01 11:08:17 2018]02513:
    end of DisplayScreen
  2. Wijimoto Journeyman

Doesn't appear to be related to the O/S. The video card isn't able to process the textures. If you google "Lost D3D device", there's lots of info, but essentially, make sure you have installed the current version of DirectX (the game uses an older version, but those files are included with the current update).
  3. Belexes ForumQuester

Yeah, I looked it up right after I posted. I changed my GeForce GT 640 PhysX setting to CPU from Auto-Select. Let's see if that works. Thanks!!
  4. Belexes ForumQuester

That didn't work. :( Back to troubleshooting. Still says D3D device lost.
  5. Belexes ForumQuester

When I look at dxdiag, it does say I have the most current version.

I am downloading the latest driver for my graphics card to see what that will do.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You need to install the DX9 files. it's posted through these forums and on the 'net on how to do this.
  7. Febb Augur

Do you box these accounts on a true box TLP server? Also, when are these disconnects happening? When you zone or just randomly while you are playing?
  8. Belexes ForumQuester

You install the dx9 files when you install the game or the launcher wouldn't even work I believe.

I don't play on TLP. I have two PCs on my router hardwired. One is a Win7 and one is a Win8. I play two keyboards, mice and monitors. The Win7 that was ancient I swapped out for the Win 8.1 machine didn't have any issues.

Latest drivers didn't work. I might take the ATI Radeon card out of the old Win7 and put it in this Win8.1 machine if I can't get this to work. That might work.

Disconnects randomly when playing.
  9. Febb Augur

This can be possibly linked to your NIC then. What is the make and model of your NIC (network interface card) that your cat5 is plugged into?
  10. Belexes ForumQuester

Read my first post. It is a Realtek.It is down on motherboard. Most LANs are down these days.
  11. Wijimoto Journeyman

What video card is currently installed? You said you updated your NIC driver, but since this appears to be a video issue, have you checked your video driver? When you google the error with a specific video card in the query, some people say they've had to roll back to a previous driver to resolve the Lost D3D device error so the latest driver may or may not help.

Does it make a difference if you change texture quality to low? You can do this from LaunchPad - click on the gear icon, choose Game Configuration. You'll have to click through a couple of screens but the third screen has options for texture quality among other things. Try setting everything to the lowest.

The .dds files you're choking on are located in Everquest >Spell Effects. If they're in the proper directory, delete them and then validate game assets to make sure you have no missing/corrupted files.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Those may be the wrong DX9 files if they are the most up to date. EQ is old and needs DX9 C which is not included in the latest DX9.

Your error: Lost D3D device is related to DX9 and/or screen resolution and certain cards (more amd than others.

Another possibility is If your laptop or PC is too overclocked by the manufacturer. Try reducing Core Clock and Memory Clock speed. This stops many games from crashing due to "rendering device lost" or in this case, "d3d device lost".
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  13. Belexes ForumQuester

If you read my following post, you would seenthat I have the Geforce GT640. I first had this issue with the OEM driver, then downloaded another version. Still an issue. Updated yet to a newer version and still the issue. I have downloaded DX9 C already, still constant disconnects.

I switched again to let the CPUdo the brunt of the work in the graphics card control panel. I slid the adjustment all the way to performance from quality. I have done all these things and still constant disconnects on a system that runs circles in every way around the system it replaced. The system that got replaced never had disconnects. It had an ATI card. If managing game settings and card settings doesn't work, I am gonna stick that ATI Radeon card in this machine and try it.

If that doesn't work, I will check to see how far the PC is overclocked.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

So, you pretty much ignored my advice?

Good luck with your problem.
  15. Belexes ForumQuester

Does anyone read???

Read my post before this one Slick. :)
  16. Khat_Nip Meow

You can get that error in your dbg.txt by simply tabbing out of EQ (at least from full screen mode) without any detrimental effects.
  17. Ghubuk Augur

Did you try a totally fresh install or did you copy files over from your old computer?
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Not for nothing, but an attitude like that won't get you the help you seek.
  19. Belexes ForumQuester

It 's not an attitude. You are the one who accused me of ignoring you first. How is that not attitude?

It is not wanting to answer the same question over and over when I put all relevant data in my posts.

You can't help me if you can't read. :)

I do this for a living, so I am going through some well defined troubleshooting steps to isolate root cause.

I am posting here for those who come up with stuff that might help that I don't have in my plan of attack. The replacing the spell files was a good one. I did that as well. I change one thing at a time so I know which thing fixed it and give me my root cause. Most of what you all suggested is in my plan and I will do them eventually.

I didn't do a fresh install. It is a 10GB download and I will do that only if I take my PC to work and do it in my PC lab where it won't take so long to download files. That will be one of the last things I try. The files are off the machine that this current machine replaced and it ran just fine.

I have game settings turned down to see if that helps.

My next step is another graphics card. If that doesn't work. I will do a totally new install.

Then I will see about the overclocking.

If that doesn't work, then I am probably going to change the PC out for another with some different hardware.
  20. Belexes ForumQuester

Other graphics card installed won't show nothing but a black screen when booting up. I took it out and I am using the onboard graphics, which is the Intel HD 4600.

This works!! Heck, I might not even worry about getting another PCIe Card to install if this keeps working.

Thanks for all the suggestions...even Mr. Bandwidth. :)
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.