Regarding Third Party Cheat Programs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EQ Dev, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drakang Augur

Yes but Alice looked much nicer. :)
  2. Bella222 Elder

This thread has become SO much fun to read. All the laughing I am doing is sure to be good for my health and stress reduction. Thank you all so much. I haven't enjoyed reading a forum so much in a long long time.
  3. Bella222 Elder

Where is his picture in my comment? Aggro Management For Dummies is the best!
  4. pinckert New Member

I really appreciate this effort. I've been playing since 1999 and have never felt the need to use any external software to enjoy the game. There will always be people who look to 'game the system' and without efforts to address this it worsens the experience for those who follow the rules.
    xcitng likes this.
  5. Eggolas Augur

Well said and parsed as would someone trained legally.
  6. KermitMadMan Journeyman

NOBODY puts baby in the corner!
  7. frogdog New Member

These days, they are probably the same person. :)
  8. Defjam1 Journeyman

Did you really have to make a new account to post that ?
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  9. Novastorm Weaponx New Member

wow and still this subject still keeps going on and on and on and on wonderful and no end in sight too weeee
  10. Zirumkin Zenomorph New Member

I use custom music (copy / paste over existing mp3's in the client after launcher updates) and a custom target ring. I assume this is ok? I seem to remember seeing somewhere you aren't supposed to change the client in any way, but I *assume* custom music is alright?

Sorry if this was discussed before, I just don't have the time to read through 28 pages.
  11. moogs Augur

Some people fully automate EQ to the point where there is no graphical user interface and the accounts are logged in 24/7 using fully scripted behavior. Other people have been using a well known Linux tool for nearly 20 years to track spawns, inspect loot before mobs are killed, etc. Another popular tool allows you to teleport and so on.

We know that use of the above tools is going to get your accounts banned if you are caught using them. Clarification is required on much more popular 3rd party software that does NOT allow you to cheat.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and xcitng like this.
  12. Ghubuk Augur

You mean like the "game genie" where on it's website says:

What are some fun things I can do with xxxx?

That's a big topic! Let's start with some simple functions:

• Need to find someone in the zone? Type, “/target playername” and then “/face”. This also works for NPC’s. “/target King Xorbb”
    • Open up the map, zoom-in a bit, and right-click any NPC or PC. You’ll target them instantly, no matter where they are.
    • Get a notification whenever a rare spawn is up.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and xcitng like this.
  13. moogs Augur

I wouldn't know.
  14. Aamonn_Erollisi New Member

You missed the point. WoW allows you to not load add-ons which are out of date after a patch. If they didn't allow addons, they wouldn't have an option built right into WoW to not load them. Way different than this thread. So, like I said, not a very good comparison.
  15. Ghubuk Augur

WOW also only allows addons that are same idea as UI updates in EQ. You can be banned for botting type addons.
  16. AlmarsGuides Augur

That is for Blizzard's own custom addons like Blizzard_GuildUI, Blizzard_AuctionHouseUI and so on. If you open your WoW > Addons folder you'll see all of them. Also Ghubuk is wrong when he says that Addons only mess with the interface in WoW, you can post all your auctions with an Addon in WoW or mouse-over heal people. You can also see herbs/mines on the map... They're FAR from non-game enhancing.

All in all, I disagree that it isn't a good comparison. Blizzard and WoW isn't the only game that's done this, Asheron's Call and Turbine is another comparison that can be drawn of a game that had many different third party addons which did a buttload of different things.
  17. Levy Journeyman

I think you missed my point. DBG clearly has the ability to block someone from logging into the game if they have the software loaded (same with ISB). It's built into the game as well. They have enforced it on some servers, and not others. To mean that means it's okay on some, and not on the servers where it is specifically and deliberately blocked. I'm not sure how you can take it any other way. If they didn't want people to use it, they would just block it from every server. For activity on the servers where it's allowed to be loaded, they review player reports and other items to determine if a person needs to be banned for abusing the program in a way they don't approve of. I suspect their list (whenever it comes out) will confirm that.
  18. Lianeb Augur

Daybreak has always been pretty vague about what is and isn’t allowed on the servers. But they do have a line in the sand, it’s jjst that people tend to believe it is not there or feel the need for clarification to suit their own agendas or beliefs in how the game is enforced.

Taken from:
    https://www.everquest.com/news/agnarr-progression-server-faq-may-2017

So third party software is explicitly mentioned for TLP and not mentioned at all for others as long as it is attended game play. There is no mention of attending one toon with 5 10 or even 20 automated ones.

I welcome a list of behaviors that are ok. But in all honesty it isn’t going to change what seems to already be the rules.
    We are probably going to see the same thing we have seen before but put the blinders on in the crusade against it
    My predictions are:
    No unattended game play
    Nothing that gives an unfair advantage (automation is not that and see first) basically this is things you can’t normally do with the char you are playing as intended by the game.

I box a group of toons when am bored enough to do so using I S B. And I don’t feel like I am cheating. My toons probably run at about 80% of what a live person can so no unfair advantage there and I have to be at the keyboard for them to do anything. Are new rules going to change how I play probably not.

I have seen people banned for using game gene. And only because they broke one of the above mentioned rules.
    I have also seen people banned for using in game tools to break the above rules (afk merc or pet farming)
    I have seen people banned for using programmable keyboards but also breaking the above rules (afk fishing)
    Bottom line is it’s all about the use of specific third party software and the behavior in game. If you are ostrich with your head in a hole and think it is going to change drastically from current you are going to be let down I think.
    I have also seen people with severe handicaps authorized in writing from dbg to use game genies automation to play EQ. With restrictions to servers and actions allowed.

This of course my own opinion
    AlmarsGuides and code-zero like this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would agree with the exception that certain software can and does do a lot more. Some of that hard to detect by GMs. If they weren't getting other advantages other then broadcasting they would use the safrt software. Being afk or not afk using certain software should not be the only limitation in my mind. It is how much certain software allows you to do. But if they are going to only use the afk criteria would be nice if they said so. Then everyone should probably use whatever software they want.

They said they are going to take a hard line stance so at a minimum they need to repost whatever the existing rules are and say this is what we will use as a guideline. Ideally something more definitive would be nice.

I do wonder if there will be SOME additional limitations though. Auto targeting and running melee toons without guidance at the keyboard etc. If it just comes down to unattended gameplay this was a big deal about nothing. All they had to say is we will be enforcing the unattended game play rules more stringently.

And all my own opinion too. I think everyone wants clear rules on what can and can't be done.
  20. Risiko Augur

Ok, but here's the thing.

Does anybody actually think that the truly bad people knowingly cheating in Everquest care if one of their hundreds of accounts gets banned?

They didn't put the time and effort in to getting the characters on that account leveled up and geared. They cheated. It was easy for them. They did it while doing things not even related to EQ.

They'll just make more, and cheat again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again...

Oh, but they have to spend money to do that right? No. They don't have to spend a dime because they make so much plat off of cheating and converting it to Krono that they don't have to spend any money ever for the rest of eternity even if they had ten accounts banned every day for the next ten years.

Rules and consequences only keep honest people honest.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.