Regarding Third Party Cheat Programs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EQ Dev, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghubuk Augur

Lol, again with the trying to conflate the issue saying people are anti-boxers in this thread. Umm, people are arguing against botters, not boxers.
    xcitng likes this.
  2. roth Augur

You guys laugh at “buying a house for trophies” but think about it. Buying anything that confers any form of power, or advantage, over someone who did not buy it is a form of pay to win. Pay to win is cheating. Care to show how the logic there is wrong?

Oh, but Sony and now Daybreak allow it, because they’re the beneficiaries of the money. Since it is THEIR game that we are playing, that makes them the arbiters of what is and what is not cheating, doesn’t it? Not you, not me, not that cheat program developer who was here earlier, eqmule or w/e his name was. Note - this does not invalidate the logic I used in the first paragraph; it supersedes it with a higher power : Daybreak.

IF they value the integrity of their game, they’d not allow any cheating at all. Cheating by their definition (not mine or yours).

As far as blurring the line between boxing and botting... I’m not. I’m merely making no distinction between “having having the computer press ‘2’ on the second, third, and fifth accounts for you,” and “you pressing ‘2’ on the first account, and having the computer press ‘2’ on the second, third, and fifth accounts for you.” You’re playing the first account. The computer is, at your direction and prompting, playing the others for you. Whichever account may be the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth for you at any given time. If you are ALT-TAB’ing to get from one account to the next, or you are running two/three monitors on a computer and each monitor has its own instance of EQ that you mouse over to select, hey, you’re cool. If you’re using some software that automates other accounts for you while you’re playing the first one, however ......
  3. Warpeace Augur

You do realize they don't need the house to activate the trophies right? Just the Plot.

And they still need to install an evict button for guild leaders.:D
  4. Rumplestilskin Lorekeeper

:p Using third party software to target mobs without trying while multi boxing....Bannable!
    xcitng likes this.
  5. roth Augur

Fixed that for ya.
    Actually, no, I did not know that. I thought the trophies had to be placed indoors, inside a house.
    Don’t like the logic, eh? Then counter it, rather than crying “but but but!” Use of software to automate boxing is botting.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m NOT against boxing. I two box, I run two computers side by side and play one account on each. A guildie of mine runs four accounts on one computer, TAB’ing between them. Those are legit. Automating the controls of other running accounts while you control one, and through the automation the rest, that’s botting. HUGE difference between the two.
    Rumplestilskin likes this.
  6. Zaviere Augur

I have a killer headache now, after catching up with this whole thread over the past few hours...

So much to think about.

I am eager to see this list compilation released ASAP.
  7. Wizlard Augur

Controlling characters by pushing buttons vs. automation, HUGE difference. When the ruling comes down that pushing buttons at the keyboard is OK, and automation at and/or away from the keyboard is not, don't be surprised. Your opinion on the matter is draconian at best.
  8. Ghubuk Augur

That is actually what he is saying. Automation of your characters (botting) should never be allowed. Boxing legitimately (as in no automation/software running any characters) is not botting though.
    Bella222 and xcitng like this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

There is a popular middle ground: Multiple accounts on 1 computer, with a third party program supporting picture-in-picture for the different clients, and where you can send key-presses to one account even when another account is in the foreground. This way you don't have to bother with ALT-tabbing.
    You are still in full control of all the accounts, and none of the clients does anything at all before you press the corresponding keys. No automation at all. This is not "game genie", but a different program I see many boxers use... most people consider this legit as it does not allow automation...but merely streamlined window-management for multiple clients.
  10. Wizlard Augur

You might be right. This is a confusing mess that careful planning could have avoided.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Gamparse is fine. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me sit in a chat channel with them if it wasn't. There's a reason you can say it on the forums and you can't say without it being filtered. There's a reason you can create dedicated threads for it or for GINA. Try that with or even other programs that don't have their name filtered and see what happens. They'll get filtered/deleted.

Stop being dumb and making a false equivalence between them. This isn't rocket science.
  12. Mybag Journeyman

So do you guys plan to do something about the most abused program (map hack) on TLP? Seems like behaviors for this one is harder to catch but is the worse one. You can't even be in a raiding guild as a monk with out being pressured into using it or part of the tracking teams, specially for the guilds that use twitter ect and then there's the players who use it to farm,train,dps race named/quest mobs.
  13. xcitng Augur

We buy a house with ingame pp which is not at alll like pay to win.
    Wizlard likes this.
  14. Grammerpolice New Member

It's not being dumb to make an equivalence between them though. If you read Daybreak's policy they're very ambigious with what they mean and they say stuff like, "any program that offers you an unfair advantage should not be allowed".

IDK about you, but raiding guilds require VOIP because it gives you an advantage. Raiders use parsing programs because it gives them an advantage. The same goes for literally every other program. I buy more expensive internet, Verizon Fios because it gives me an advantage over other people. I purchased a bigger monitor so I could have an advantage over people with more screen space.

The reason people are making these outrageous comparisons is because Daybreak's policy is so vague that you could probably consider someone with hexadactyly having an advantage.

When making LAWS/RULES it's very important for them to be as clear cut as possible, otherwise innocent people get punished. If you need a real world example google lindsay shepherd wilfrid laurier and do some research about her and what happened. A new law came out in Canada that was extremely ambigious and now innocent people are being punished for it.

People are scared and they have ever right to be. Daybreak doesn't have a great track history when it comes to this sort of stuff. The TBM keys from steam, the RoS mission, the anniversary aug mission, Daybreak bans first and asks questions later. People have a lot of emotional attachment to their accounts in a 20 year old game. An announcement like this, as vague as it is, is just fearmongering.
  15. Wizlard Augur

Yeah, that comment was shamefully ill informed.
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You clearly can't read what I type. You're a mess.
    Grammerpolice likes this.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

He's too clueless to understand what you're saying. Don't forget, he thinks housing is cheating. LOL
  18. Denial_Sinfae Augur

I hope they crush the.... "broadcasting" crap too. Really happy about this announcement.
  19. Warpeace Augur

Past actions say you will be greatly saddened with what actually happens.

Like the last time people bought all those super discounted expansions from 3rd party sites and were initially suspended or banned then 3-5 days later were all reinstated.
  20. Vargaz New Member

I am curious how this action will conform to Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. I know of one seriously handicapped person who plays and has to use automation in order to play because they cannot physically click. I don't know if DBG has a method of flagging accounts of persons with disabilities or not but I sure hope they do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.