Regarding Third Party Cheat Programs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EQ Dev, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accipiter Old Timer

Why are you attacking elumxe? I find his posts to be accurate, believable, and honest. Is it so hard for you to take him at his word? Maybe it's in your nature. /shrug
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Wow. I never say this (and will probably get banned) but you people are <EDIT>. There's a program out there that DBG didn't want on the truebox servers so they reached out to the developer to see how/if that developer could work with them to make that happen (or not happen). How is that unethical in any way? The tin foil hat consortium is in full swing.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Made up stats completely invalidate any argument you might have been trying to make.
  4. Mannwin New Member

The real problem with all this finger pointing is that nobody is allowed to mention any of the programs by name. Everyone thinks they are all talking about the same thing and everyone thinks they know which program(s) and/or websites are allowing/promoting the hacks and which one(s) are not. I can comfortably say that most of you are conflating them, which really makes the 'discussion' pointless. I think we can all agree that certain things are 'cheats' (like warping) and that AFK-play is not allowed. If those are the things that DBG says you shouldn't be doing (and they have, many times), with or without one or more 'extra' programs, then don't do them. Pretty simple.

I have played for almost 18 years. I can only think of a handful of times that I saw someone doing something "odd", and even those times they really weren't bothering me, so I didn't care. I don't play on TLP or TrueBox, so maybe I am missing the problems. But if some guy next to me is boxing 3 characters using alt-tab or "some other means", and he really isn't doing anything that any other 'normal' player would be capable of doing, why should I care?

I play to have fun, not to go around policing other people's fun.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, us players on live servers feel a bit cheated if that is true. We don't want those cheat-programs on live servers either... why should we have to deal with cheat programs? are we not paying enough to deserve a cheat free live server?

I could understand it, if it was just the boxing-program regarding truebox servers, but If DBG deliberately allowed cheating(botting and warp-hacks, I bet Zek is tired of that too) on live servers, then its a clear case of server-favoritism.

If they really want a server were cheats are allowed, then make a prison server, and move the cheaters there. :p
  6. Sere New Member

If Daybreak wanted to put an end to unattended farming they could in an instant by making chaseloot nodrop, and no loot if you weren't in the group when it dropped. That takes the money incentive out of people doing so. It would also end krono sales for the most part.

I use elumxe's software I do not use anything in it that Daybreak would likely have an issue with. Without his software I most likely wouldn't be playing EQ and I definitely wouldn't be spending near as much money with them.

I play a character with lots of spells and abilities and his software made it where I was able to spend less time focusing on blindly mashing keys to actually enjoying the game and companionship with my fellow players. It made it so I could be a social player.

I also pay for 6 gold account. I never run my characters while I am afk. If they are on and moving I am grouped with them, and sitting at the keyboard watching them as I actively play my main.

I buy Daybreak cash fairly often, and occasionally I buy Krono to resell for plat. Running 6 characters gets expensive fast! While I could buy Krono significantly cheaper through third party sellers, I always buy it direct from Daybreak for full price.

I do nothing to trouble other players indeed going out of my way to avoid doing so. my tunes and I also help my fellow players whenever possible.

Don't assume all people using third party programs are trying to grief, hack, or cheat.
    Adrienna, Delphi66, Janakin and 3 others like this.
  7. strongbus Augur

i know of at lest 3 or 4 people who use 3rd party software just cause they have medical issue that make it to hard even play other wise lol.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If boxing 6 chars without cheating software is too hard, then maybe box fewer chars or use legit boxing software instead, a lot of people get by with that...

And how does medical issues justify afk-botting and warp-hacks?(genuine question) I don't see the connection? :confused: or are we talking about completely different third party software now?

(not being able to use program-names to differentiate between different software is such a bother...:oops: )
  9. Sere New Member

elumxe's software doesn't have hacks mods he also won't approve any plugins that do. He does his part to ensure that the software he created is a positive towards daybreak not a negative. So yes there are different software's made by different parties involved and you are conflating intentionally or otherwise them.
    Ishtass likes this.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Isn't this software, the botting software everyone uses for automated afk-botting?, he also admitted a rather "revealing" map feature? what features are you using? Or is it just because you want more than 5 lines in you macros? or gluing your rogue to the backside of your target? :confused:

Looking at the wiki, it looks like the rogue-macro is quite sketchy...

Can't find any warphacks on the wiki though, those must be from the "other version".
  11. Notfair New Member

The one program that everyone uses can do all of these things. Thats the problem. Thats why Daybreak can't say which program is allowed and which isn't. Theyre going to say which *features* are allowed and which arent....

The main program in question has two websites that distribute it, one of them tries to be legitimate and its the one that the majority of us use. Then there's another website that openly talks about hacking and cheating and the person who created this program allows that website to exist.... his excuse is because if he didnt allow that website to exist then there would be hacks on true box because a new website may pop up that he has no influence over.

Many of us in the boxing community would prefer the second website, that openly talks about hacking and cheating, to go away because it puts a stain on the legitimate boxers who dont cheat. It allows warping and other hacks that daybreak do not approve of... some of the very same hacks that you see on the TLP servers right now. Although, as mule has pointed out - the program you see now on the tlp isnt his. He just allows a different program... that is his... to do the same things on non true box servers... dont let him confuse you about this.....

This "other" software people are talking about is extremely new and just came out this week. It's very likely not at all what this thread is about since it literally only has 15 downloads as of this time. I don't think Daybreak would make an announcement about new third party software with only 15 downloads.
  12. Ghubuk Augur

No kidding. When it was asked about adding ONE more line to in game macros, it was turned down but outright being able to have software bot a toon for you is fine??!!
    xcitng likes this.
  13. Mannwin New Member

Some tools are not intrinsically evil, but they can be used for evil purposes. You can have a pet. You can have a merc. You can even have both. You can play with them solo or with others. But, you cannot sit them someplace and go AFK while mobs auto-aggro and they kill and heal for you as you gain experience and loot. DBG says this is a no-no. Pets are not bad. Mercs are not bad. Nobody would say they have to go because someone is breaking the rules by using them in a manner that is not allowed. We should be talking about the actions, not the tools.
    Adrienna and synicasm like this.
  14. Sere New Member

There is a big difference between running multiple tunes that you are monitoring and directly in control of at all times; and running groups totally unattended with no one at the controls. Daybreak tends to permit the first, they ban people for the second.

I am currently doing ROF for example. With elmuxe's software I don't have to persuade people to go back and do old boring old content they have no interest in. (25 zones of Merc, Partisan, and hero.) Over two hundred quests. Instead I just take my box group and I focus on playing my main and my others characters pretty much do their thing. Think a merc that costs real money (the gold account).
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If DBG wanted us to have 5 mercs, they would have given us 5 mercs. :p
  16. Sere New Member

Well Daybreak knows where I am if they want me.
  17. Amaquin_Tunare New Member

Remember decades ago when autofire.dll made the circuit? Rangers left and right got banned for a week or a month, then suddenly SOE changed their mind and unbanned lots of people. A few years later, /autofire gets added to the game.

Or when the game started, and a third party map program was made. Yes, it did other illegal things to the game; I won't argue that it's bannable. It took you guys forever to realize that a real in-game map was all most people wanted, so you gave us one. A crappy one. Then eventually caved again and allowed for player maps to be imported.

Parsers have been a way of life for DPS classes, warriors, and healers since shortly after the game began. And after around level 80, when each class started getting abilities that stack with their own class abilities (instead of just with other classes clicks) people have started using more and more macro keyboards and software (virtual keyboards, auto hotkey, not that other abomination) so they can click 6 buttons at once instead of using the in-game hotkey bar which, let's face it, was designed in the 90s and still acts that way. Only 5 abilities per button (I click Spire, Focused Rampage, Dichotomic, Twisted Chance, Rogue's Fury, two poison procs, and usually one or two others on a good burn, and I need them clicked together, not in what ever order the hotkey bar wants them clicked in) with no way to keep them each timed separately (that's why the joystick. Ctrl+# for CA, Shift+# for hotkey bank where most of the abilities are kept, 1, 2 ,4, 7, 5, 9, Shift+#2 for other abilities, Shift +#3 back to normal buttons) and that was before you made things like backstab an auto ability. I used to have a slider just to adjust how fast I hit backstab so I could vary my amount of agro based on who was tanking for me.

Then you have streaming apps taking up parts of the screen and (gods forbid) timers that allow people to see their split times in other games. Those could be used to keep track of spawn time! Windows 10 now has WSL built in, where I used to use a VM to do some sed parsing of raid logs to send to our guild's DKP server I can now do that in Windows if I chose to; but why would I when my VM is probably 8 years out of date and I don't want WSL running background 24/7 when I could just have the VM booted for dkp. Should I move those to another computer, because Linux == unspeakable_program (which has spawn timers!), but anyone using that would already know how to do that with a second computer.

And what about foraging? "Unattended" foraging/fishing has been something that has been allowed for a long time because you guys have recognized that it is a real sink. And with the recipe requirement to get to 350 in so many skills requiring so many of those forages or fished pieces, it seemed like something you expected. Is it okay to have a "forage bot" that does it's thing while I watch a movie on my phone but am still at my desk? What if my popcorn runs out, or I take a bathroom break? If one is okay, why not 2 or 3? What if I only turn them on while I'm at the desk but turn them off when I'm away; will I get banned if I miss a tell from a guide/GM?

So, yeah, I get it. Ban the cheaters. That's a great idea. But give those who have been playing since the beginning, and have seen the mess that your automated system bans (oh no, someone got CoTHed, they must have warped!) have caused a chance to make sure we are doing things right. We wouldn't want another slate of mass bans of bards because the VoA tethering "feature" thought they were warping (because the tethering did warp them) and thought they must "be hacking to get those single pulls" when they were just using the system you created to stop hackers to do some interesting tricks.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Because Daybreak should have kept it off all servers.
    Ghubuk, Khat_Nip and Jumbur like this.
  19. tamar New Member

yay good for you db, ban all the cheaters, its not just automated characters that an issue, is pple that use cheat programs to see what loots mobs have, so can cherry pick mobs to get random rares etc. Basically everyone known u cant use 3rd party programs, so even without a specific list of banned programs u know if u using a program to let u do things u cant do with just eq, so if your banned its your own damn fault no sympathy here
  20. Cleaver Augur

Someone let me know where to find this one at.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.