Banestrike Changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomereaper, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Gnomereaper Augur

The problem with the current banestrike changes is that:

1. Nuke breaks root, which ruins the gaming experience for different kinds of game play.

2. Old raids, the one I'm talking about here is called The Frozen Nightmare from Miragul theme in Lost Dungeons of Norrath. There are 4 a chromatic skeletons that you have to shift to red and then kill all at the same time.

The problem is that today the riposte damage is so high you have to use a caster character to deal combat damage or use lower level spells to knock down the hp in uniform then kill them all at once in a mighty blow.

Banestrike creates the problem of using a less powerful weapon on a caster to melee these down and instead turns the encounter at a high level into "luck of the draw." Thereby interfering with doing old content.

Some suggestions:

A. Leave banestrike alone as is

B. Allow for the ability to toggle on and off banestrike

C. The ability to turn off riposte to not damage mobs with riposte damage

Thoughts?
    YellowBelly and Quatr like this.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

I think that Banestrike breaking root, if triggered by a nuke that does not, is a bug.
  3. Horyuken Augur

You don't balance the game around LDON content.
    Root always has a chance to break. Banestrike can only fire on a direct damage spell.
    Most people Root and Dot, if you root and nuke it's a non issue.
    Ghubuk likes this.
  4. Dreadmore Augur

I took it for granted that it would be this, similar to many other passive AAs that can be enabled and disabled already that have the potential to grab agro, not grab agro, break root, break mez, etc.

Can you clarify that this is not the case already? I'm not on the test server to verify.
  5. Gialana Augur

Not to detract from your points, but it's not an issue for that particular LDoN raid. The write-ups I've seen for the raid made it very confusing by saying the skeletons need to be killed at the same time, but it's not true. The 4 skeletons all need to be in their "icy" form at the same time to complete that stage of the raid. But it doesn't matter how much time passes between getting the first skeleton into icy form and the 4th skeleton into icy form. If any of the icy's are killed, that skeleton needs to be cycled back through all of the forms.
  6. YellowBelly Augur

It's not just an issue with a particular event it's an issue with all kinds of play styles. I use class root spells as a form of CC. Trying to explain to players in a pug why they should not be nuking a rooted mob is a lesson in frustration. Now that arrows will be involved I can imagine it will be a nightmare. Not to mention ranger root and shoot soloing will no longer be an option.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Currently my banestrike is on my "spam between spellcasts"-button, making it passive would not ruin anything for me. :)
    But I wouldn't complain if they made it toggle-able(I would set mine to "on" though).
  8. DaciksBB Augur

Riposte technically can be turned off for a melee character-hold an item without a ratio in your primary and you don't riposte (not even with your special ability like flying kick). Thus if you used a weak weapon in your offhand, you can balance old stuff down (or could).

I did Solteris 3 a while ago by equipping a TBS weapon that dropped from one of the previous raids and balancing the golems down for 20 minutes. Unfortunately it looks like only a necro will be able to do that raid now, not that big of a deal (or so I believe, could be that the balance isn't THAT tight but it'll still be annoying).
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Make it toggleable. Issue thus solved.
    Reynen and Perplexed like this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

11. Kolani Augur

Balreth is going to be even more broken now. The only solution is going to be melee with a fresh heroic with no kills at all, and it'll have to be deleted after it gets the golem banestrike achievement.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Banestrike…. better solution. Add 2% dps to all classes and remove Banestrike from the game.

Banestrike doesn't work in EQ1. Let this horse die.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I don't like the change for the following reasons:

1) It lowers dps. From testing it seems to be a random proc that is limited to your recast timer but can take twice as long to go off again. So instead of every X seconds you're casting it every X*1.5 seconds or whatever.

2) It changes when you can use it. Sometimes you might not want to melee but want to nuke something, not a lot of damages but you just take the option away. Can't be running by in some low zone and nuke something nearby on the run, or whatever else you can think of.

Needs the proc chance to change to be like any other proc, based off X procs per minute (so it can go 3 minutes without proccing or can proc 3x in 3 rounds.

Throw us a bone and up the damage to something meaningful. Make it more like slay undead but by body type. Not that much damage, but more than some meh value that it is now.
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

Max rank of banestrike I could find was rank 31, dealing 32k-ish damage.

At once pr 60 sec, that is around half a K of dps.

From a dps perspective, that is very little.
    Sancus and kizant like this.
  15. Nniki Augur

With slayer maxed, we're currently only doing 16500.
  16. fortuneteller Augur

Do not like the change to banestrike, for following reasons.

1) Before a priest could use it to do a big of damage, now that is almost impossible.
    2) Before it was you that selected which target you would use the banestrike on, that is no longer an option, it is now purely random which mob you do hit with it. Before you could stractic select the worst mob to use it on, and now it might hit something that is irrelevant, like a summoned mob that depops after certain time, or have almost zero hit points.
    3) Before you would be able to use it every 45 sec, now it can take 2 min+
  17. Horyuken Augur

My friend if you're relaying on banestrike for any of the above I would suggest reevaluating how you play this game.
  18. Sazxus New Member

Why not let it be triggered by damaging spells? This kinda removes it from the necro arsenal.
  19. Horyuken Augur

It is triggered off DD spells
  20. Angahran Augur

I'm sure the clerics would appreciate the 2% dps :p