Would you prefer if trash mobs had more HP?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Jul 3, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Today, mobs often take way shorter time to kill than in older times. This interferes with dot classes, whom ramp dps up over time. Also, it changes the playstyle a bit.

Doubling(tripling?) trash mobs hp (and xp reward) compared to player dps in new expansions would change this, I assume. It would be a change, so it would have to be communicated etc, and it could be spread over several expansions.

The risk is that people that are slow killers today, would be ultra slow killers. But maybe segregating slow kill mobs to a few zones (in a new expansion) could be a solution, and also provide experience for dev team, player base, and community.

Would you like slower kills?
    Tierwyn, Thexder and Thoxsel like this.
  2. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Yes I would enjoy this a lot more actually. Having 15 sec kills is mindless diablo style stuff. Having triple or more hp would be a lot more interesting, and yes the same goes for named mobs. :) Obviously scale xp per mob accordingly as they already do with golem type mobs for example.

However, as some might be solo/moloing I think having some weak flagged mobs such as they had in tosk could be a way to give them something in a recent expansion to do. Wouldn’t have to be many of those but some scattered through the zone.
    Tierwyn and IblisTheMage like this.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

I can see a couple of issues with this. One being lower dps groups might never be able to clear a camp. This will make getting to a potential named difficult if not impossible. Second taking longer to kill a mob just means less opportunity to actually progress through the content and see more areas. Third I don't know if simply adding more HP is going to actually provide more enjoyable gameplay except for the dot classes maybe it will just extend the fights. Fourth if you pair a very high HP mob with a very high dps mob you have eliminated a lot of players from being able to do content. Fifth all of the people that complain about being broke will have even less jingle in their pockets unless the plat/vendor trash they drop increases based on HP. I understand the desire to make the game more challenging but I think there are other ways to do it outside of either increasing mobs HP or making them hit like a truck or both. I don't mind spending extra time on named mobs but if I am spending a minute or longer trying to burn down every trash mob in game this wont provide me with a greater sense of enjoyment.
    IblisTheMage and Perplexed like this.
  4. Perplexed Augur

perfectly stated......adding a time sink (increase hp's) isn't adding to the challenge
    be creative, come up with your own personal challenge per mob (remove equip, change spell set etc)
  5. p2aa Augur

No.
    Herf likes this.
  6. DaciksBB Augur

make a zone where mobs have buffs that jack up their damage output but also puts a hefty dot on them that is only beaten out by out of combat regen (or a melee/nuke bane) :p
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Strong points.

I am inclined to think along the lines of a 20 sec mob —> 30 sec - 40 sec, and have it in some zones (or some mobs) only. It would welcome DOT classes the most, but I think the DPS of most classes would increase with longer fights, which will beneft both high end dps as well as middle tiers. I borrow a toon from a buddie when I box, and me coordinating exactly when everyone attacks, as opposed to him reacting to my initiation of combat means quite a lot of dps for that same toon, very noticeably so in a short combat; my point being that there is a potentil dps advantage for everyone in longer fights. Also, it makes good pulling more worth it (kill time to pull time ratio changes) giving puller classes some gameplay back.

I think the game was essentially designed for longer fights, in the first years, and some of the the class roles where designed in that context.

As you indicate, the game has to continue to be inclusive, the game still need to have room for all kinds of players.
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

I agree that it is not adding to the challenge, maybe slightly the opposite. I see the benefit in making space for a game style that is less Diablo-esque, with sligthly more room for dotters, pullers, cc’ers
    Caell likes this.
  9. Chorus Augur

Or, you guys complaining about this could stop 6 boxing, and 2 box instead :p
  10. xcitng Augur

11. Chorus Augur

Then stop complaining the game is too easy when you're overloading it compared to the current population it draws. This entire conversation is beyond pointless.
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

Please explain.
  13. Chorus Augur

This is basically calling to make things more difficult for people that do not want to play an uber group.

A lot of you with this complaint are building groups specifically to take advantage of alliance, then complaining because this trivializes the game. Yes, yes it does. Now I'm not saying don't box, I 4 box these days myself, but even for my weaker dps setup of bard/war/bst/dr, once the druid got up to speed, it trivialized a lot of content instantly, so much so that I'm thinking of dropping back to 3 toons. I just don't think calling for making current mobs have more HP is the correct answer here.

There are still a boatload of players who solo/molo and don't have boxes for various reasons. I help these players through progression all the time. What is being suggested in this thread puts the game completely out of reach of their playstyles. Yet, what is really going on here is there is a minority who build a team stack specifically to trivialize the game, then complain because it worked. Well congratulations, you were successful.

No one else needs to suffer because they have a playstyle/situation that can't support what you and, to a lesser extent, I also do. This idea is completely self-centered and game breaking to people who either can't or won't afford to multi-box uber teams taking advantage of nonsense like alliance which is game breaking all by itself. The real answer here is correct the way alliance works. It is clearly meant to be a raid situational spell, otherwise it would be easy for any group make up to fire it, but it isn't. Flag it to be raid/boss only and that will go a long way to correcting one of several issues in the game right now.
    Spellfire likes this.
  14. Bamboompow Augur

15. Brohg Augur

High hp basepop were pretty unpopular in TDS. Seemed like a fine thing to me. Maybe there were just too many for some folks
    Tierwyn and Sancus like this.
  16. Chorus Augur

Yah, I liked it actually, having them intermixed added a little variability that is missing lately.

However, proposing to do this to all mobs is an entirely different animal, especially considering how high the respawn rate is in modern zones.
  17. Bamboompow Augur

This tread might as well be entitled:

"Would you like the mindless trash clears to take longer?"

Authored by bored end game players who feel their skills are wasted.

Its nearest relative would be:

"Would you like more congestion on the road ways so you can sit in traffic longer?"

Authored by someone who commutes to the office via a helicopter.

Herf and Koryu like this.
  18. menown Augur

Golems in both EoK and RoS have double HP. Wurms too I believe.
  19. Millianna Augur

The 15 to 20 second mark is easily obtainable with a group of 4 without any burns. The previous statement makes it possible to tank 6 to 12 mobs at a time with a burn. Tripling the mobs HPs without any decrease in mobs dps will instantly make it impossible to tank multiples consistently. The higher tier zones should be designed for real groups and include higher HP mobs, while the lower tier zones should be designed for molo.
  20. Bamboompow Augur

This for full RoS raid geared players or anyone?

Yah its about that time of year apparently. When those who have all their gear/aa/achievements want the game made more difficult to suit their general interests and keep them engaged at the expense of everyone else. November comes soon enough, with new challenges. In the mean time, DBG will find something to nerf to up the ante a bit. THAT can be counted on like death and taxes.
    Tumbler likes this.