Pets / Mercs and the Tracking Skill

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by JChan, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Is this pet / merc hiding ability also going to be Ranger only? Because we all know that Druids and Bards are too stupid to sort things alphabetically, so I guess they can't figure out whether something is a pet or merc either.

Want To Buy for Druids and Bards:

On a more serious note, I can only hope the Devs have read the thread where the players discussed the issue of Druids and Bards being able to sort tracking:
    Changing the Tracking Skill

Sorting tracking is a UI function, not a class skill, and keeping ranger only makes zero sense.
  2. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

For what it is worth Druids and Bards having sortable track isn't going to impact my play a bit or make me feel cheated.

Either option is fine. Do whatever takes less code work. Remove campfires, etc too please.
  3. Neamiah Journeyman

Gonna have to agree with Tarvas here. Do what ever is less effort for the developers and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have the ability to hide campfires. or at least to turn off their specific particle smoke effects. Its really really difficult to see mobs when raiding due to the intense smoke effect coming off of those fires.
    roth likes this.
  4. Gladare Augur

I prefer to keep the one thing that sets us apart. Lots of classes can range damage so I don't want to hear anything about a bow.
    Mellifleur and Luithien like this.
  5. Potionless Elder

Rangers (at least) have the ability to filter by con level. It's been a while since I've played mine but I think it's done with a series of colored checkboxes somewhere on the screen. That could be an option to add one or 2 more for pets/mercs. If you go that route, the default should probably be off.

I also agree with giving sort options to all tracking classes. If you really want ranger to be trackiest, just give the others fewer options.
  6. Geroblue Augur

Yes, rangers tracking window shows colors of the mobs that can be filtered. I look forward to my other non-ranger tracking characters being able to sort by distance.
  7. Tegila Augur

option 2's fine by me..just have a checkbox yes/no for mercs yes/no for pets, then if theyre on only show them for the players we have shown on track. if we only showing group only show the group pets and/or mercs etc, if no players shown, then no pets/mercs. however, unlike some people above, ido see a use for havign the ability to track them and campfires (at least for dru/bard track, and rangers when jsut watching new pops) as i myself will use my own campfire or merc as a marker in my track list on druid to cut off the "old" spawns from the "new " spawns once i've set up a camp. this doesnt always work with mercs/pets for some reason as i've seen them move up and down oddly within the listing.

that said, i have a ranger also and though their track is handy, i hardly see how "druid and bard track is useless"..then again, i ONLY use my ranger when im trackinga specific mob and want to sort alphabeticly or scroll to find the nearest one, otherwise i use my druid's track when im set up at a camp watching repops/nameds etc. The devs are right, ranger track should be better than dru/bard and people begging to get all the goodies they ahve is crossing theclass lines which is a bad trend. everyone wants what everyone else has, doesn't mean you should get it. (im still at a loss where in the lore does it make sense for clerics wars and paladins to get fade /shrug, drus never needed it due to havign evac, but at least it made mroe sense for htem. in that same vein...ranger fade should be MUCH better than it is as they are the master trackers and master trackers are also masters at avoiding detection, yet they have the worst one , still)
  8. Moklianne Augur

I use Druid track all the time, its far from useless. I'm getting really tired of those in the "this class has this and I think I deserve it too" camp. I say this with a Druid as my main.

Whichever option is easiest and doesn't require a lot of coding is fine by me. Please add an option to remove fellowship camps as well. Anything PC related to be honest should be filtered with a checkbox IMO.
    Luithien and roth like this.
  9. Ronak Augur

If you feel that the ability to sort tracking is the only thing that makes your class different from anyone else, then you should probably switch classes. Rangers have so very many things that set them apart, it's why they are the single most popular alt class at the moment.

As for sorting of track, it's a UI issue and nothing more. The fact it's been held over the heads of bards and druids as "class defining" for so long is simply ridiculous.
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

If we add an tracking filter for pets and mercs, we will extend it to druids and bards as well.
  11. Kenona Journeyman

Can you add campfires to this list?
  12. smash Augur

I like option 1.
  13. Elizabeta Augur

Option 1 would be the most useful.
    In general i would want tracking to show my group only and any NPCs (aka mobs, not other players pets/mercs) and since my group might include pets/mercs i would want them showing.
  14. Baramos Augur

Personally I think option two would be fine and dandy.
  15. Daktarr Lorekeeper

I can't think of a reason why you would want pets or mercs outside your group turned on and players turned off. Second option is fine, and oh yes, option to turn off the campfires too please.
  16. Bangzoom Lorekeeper

Give the other classes all we have now, and give us one more button: Find.

It's not like we can't do it now with in-game maps. It'd just be a major convenience, like what Druids and Bards are asking for.
  17. Rainbowdash Augur

Are you serious? I guess you've forgotten that there is a tank merc, and that people use their pets to tank, in pet tank groups.

While I have no issue myself keeping aggro off my toons and on the merc, I would LOVE to know when, say for example, the necro pet is about to out aggro the earth pet if it is getting close at all (I usually merc tank trash and pet tank named as it's much safer).

I'm going to guess you don't play a pet class. In that case, forget the why since you can't understand and instead focus on the how, which is the thread's topic. To answer the question, my vote goes for a separate Aggro meter specifically for pets and the ability to toggle mercs on or off on the base aggro meter.
  18. Qbert Gallifreyan

What in the world does this have to do with tracking, which is the subject of this thread.
  19. Rainbowdash Augur

*sigh* that'll teach me to skim things and reply anyway. I scanned over it while doing a bunch of crap and for some reason was thinking "aggro tracking". I apologize :(. in that case I agree, it is rather pointless these days. I guess it could help to track a lost merc or pet but even then mercs at least can be seen on the map now. Mostly just clutters the window. May as well just remove them from track. Although toggling them on/off could server the same purpose.

Also, sorry again. UGH
  20. artofnoise Augur

Firstly, thank you for working on this feature. :)

While I see the utility of Option 1, I would vote for Option 2. Essentially it comes down to simplifying the UI in an already cluttered, complicated game. Further, it is very difficult to track a specific pet or merc unless the Tracking window added "soandso's pet/merc" which we really do not need IMHO.

I also would like to see Campfires removed from Tracking altogether. There may be a couple rare instances where you *might* want to track a campfire, but 99.99% of the time this is not needed and just clutters the list.
    roth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.