Test Update 06/12/2018 - Patch Notes and Discussion

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

They changed the order that they stack in - so unless your spell bar graphic is translucent where the gems go, it looks totally broken. That is purely a graphics issue. If that doesn't fix the problem, I have no idea.
  2. Darchon_Xegony Augur

So after posting about this obvious bug the day of the test patch no one could be bothered to change 7 spell data values over the course of a week :/.

Now all of these spells are useless.
  3. Semper Magister New Member

Question: What programming language do you folks use on Everquest?

I am going to school for game art and design, and I am branching out with my elective classes towards programming. I'm currently in my introductory class for Java, but, if at all possible, I would like to focus where it matters (to me), and try to learn something that may be of use. Everquest is my motivation to get my degree, so, I would like to become familiar with the programming language it utilizes if I get the chance.

Thanks in advance.
  4. Semper Magister New Member

<--- still a new member... been around since 2002 on this account... I truly do not post enough.
  5. segap Augur

Thanks for explaining. This is proving to be a real pain in the rear. The UI I've been trying to keep updated for my use has the background set to A_BtnFlyby from window_pieces03.tga. This change appears to require modifying whatever the background template is set to to have a transparent hole exactly where the spell icon will be. In this case, if I were to make that change to window_pieces03.tga, everything else in the ui that just happens to use A_BtnFlyby will also get that hole. That's not a solution. I could attempt changing the spellgem shape from window_pieces02.tga to be what's desired, but I'm not sure where else the spellgem shape might be used. Not to mention that I don't understand how offsets are used in the tga files to know if my attempts to drastically alter a shape would actually work.

Even if I were to want to edit the background to have a cutout in just the right place, that breaks the layout concept of using XML to tweak things such as offsets. It appears to become a one size forever solution that's much less flexible.

This whole change seems to be fixing a problem that really did not exist while creating pain.
    xcitng, Yinla and Xeladom like this.
  6. niente Developer

C++
    Also useful: SQL, Perl, C#, MS-DOS, MS Visual Studio, Perforce, Jira

Edit: Apache Ant
  7. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I have even heard some mention of Python from the code team.
    As designers, we use a proprietary scripting language that has a resemblance to C, but you should learn the big ones like LUA. And I even use PHP and VBA sometimes.

In the end... it's important to pay attention to the fundamentals of programming languages, the common themes that run through them all so that a new language is mostly about learning the syntax differences.
    Gyurika Godofwar, kizant and Nniki like this.
  8. Herf Augur

Seriously I say, thank god :) I'd heard rumors it was old Pascal code. No I'm not joking. Of course a non OO language would explain the difficulty in fixing bugs better but c'est la vie.

Back in 1999/2000 I was gold by a colleague who had worked at Sony that EQ back then was run on an army of NT boxes; this terrified me.
  9. Frogbert New Member

I wonder if there is any plan to reintroduce the heritage crates over time. I don't expect it has been long enough yet for the few we have seen, but I am hoping they will be available again eventually?

Very few of the items that have been archived/stuck in the Disney-style vault have ever made a reappearance. I worry that some of the neat things will never resurface.

Alternatively, maybe they can be added to the LoN prize packs a certain amount of time after they were originally released? For example, LoN prize pack # 1 could also contain the dark elf heritage crate items as possible rewards, prize pack # 2 could have the half elf, etc. That way they are still limited in availability (which seems to be the marketing tactic at play), but available on a rotating schedule if someone missed them the first time around the block.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That would just make it even harder for someone trying to get an specific LoN item from those packs which could hurt sales.
  11. Girth-Matters Lorekeeper

My post on the Druid group regen spells being overlooked during the patch that regeneration line of spells were being buffed was deleted. I guess they just don't care about druids or even acknowledging that they were overlooked. It would take less time to say ok this will be fixed in the next patch than it would to delete posts about it. Why is this issue being ignored?
  12. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Becuase it was in a bugs thread not a discussion thread.
    This thread is fine.
    I don't have an answer for you though since I'm not the player spells person.