Enevitable Downfall of Raiding Necros?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by menown, Jun 19, 2018.

1. menown Augur

Cutting this short for discussion. The HP cap for NPCs is about 2.15 Billion. Raids on live server have already hit the cap. What are the Devs going to do for this upcoming expansion to compensate for the power creep of player power? Traditional raid encounters will only become shorter in duration with increased player power.

Possible options that have been done in the past:
    1) HP locks on boss with waves of adds.
    2) Raid boss despawns and reappears, either clearing all debuffs or not.
    3) Waves of trash before boss.
    4) Mitigation buffs, spell reflections, or immunities.
    5) Mass CC mechanics such as Charm, Mez, or fear.
    6)
    Multiple high HP bosses.
    7) Others that I have not thought of.

I see problems for the Necro class in general from options 1 - 4. Ramp time takes too long to be beneficial for waves of adds or despawning bosses. Parse padding on an HP locked boss is not beneficial for the raid at all, but necessary for necros to maintain high DPS when the HP lock drops. Mitigations and immunities effect several classes depending on the resist check, but always effect the necro, with their wide variety of resist spell types, unless it is a cold immunity.

Multiple high HP bosses is the only option that necros can truly shine. But the occurrence of this is about once per expansion.

I am sure other classes will have to deal with this HP cap issue in some way or another as well.
  2. Horyuken Augur

8. Give the bosses more HP.
  3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

That's not how this works. That's not how anything works.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

• Have trash mobs heal the boss, where the raid must interrupt the enemy healing rotation.
    • Must beat the boss in a "dance-off" to unlock the HP.
    • Higher HP-regen on boss.
    • Balance mechanics, with other bosses.
    • Give the boss multiple lives or phases.
    • Balance mechanics with the raid force, boss will lock HP and reflect if the raidforce have much more total HP than the boss. :p
    • Faster raid-fights, with emphasis on player-reaction instead.
    • Give the boss more interesting spells to compensate(have it spam shadowstep or CC the raidforce, etc)
    • Update the code to handle 64 bit HP numbers.
    • Nerf players! :eek:
  5. DaciksBB Augur

give bosses 3 million health regen :p
  6. Darchon_Xegony Augur

9. Txevu Zun'Muram - Only Pets hurt boss
    10. Beltron - Only procs hurt boss

Your #4 option doesn't detrimentally impact Necromancers. If the boss has a 90% Melee, spell and DoT mitigation buff for example, everyone will do 10% of their DPS potential and Necromancers will be able to do their regular DoT chain and hold it. In fact this is probably the best possible scenario for Necromancers.

They could just pull Mighty Buffs from TLP servers and put them on next expansion bosses for the mitigation component.
  7. kizant Augur

Copy/Paste raids from RoS and EoK with minor adjustments.
    Niloiv and gotwar like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

1) This already happens in different raids throughout EQ history
    2) Unless this happens often enough prevent necros from building up dots again not sure what this would do to hurt them
    3) This has already been done throughout EQ history and necros are able to deal with it just fine
    4) Unless necros are singled out this will impact everyone so they will be fine.
    5) Nothing new here even if not used a lot
    6) Great for necros as now they can ramp up dps on multiple targets while everyone else is stuck with a single target.

They have changed things from 32bit to 64bit before so I would guess that is what is going to happen in order to get around this issue..
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

Getting creative: hit locations :). Place a targetable mob in the head of the mob, call it “eyes”, and make main mob damage mitigate a lot until “Eyes” have been killed (something like a Beholder).

Make eyes look like an eye, evidently. Not a half elf sticking out of the head...

Maybe multiple heads...
  10. fortuneteller Augur

Is this the usual, the sky is Falling, the sky is Falling ?
  11. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Quality classic examples in the EQ creation era!

[IMG]

[IMG]
    menown, gotwar and IblisTheMage like this.
  12. Horyuken Augur

They should be using Robo.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

No sir. Magus and his two ladies Marle and Lucca 4tw.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

How are any of these exclusive to the Necromancer?

Suggestion: Drink less Kool-Aid.
  15. Prathun Developer

The data type used to store NPC HP was raised from 32 to 64 bit a few months after the launch of Ring of Scale, increasing the maximum HP from 2,147,483,647 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807. We will not hit this new cap anytime soon. :)
    Axxius, Zarzac, Scornfire and 12 others like this.
  16. Darchon_Xegony Augur

In Classic and Kunark it was 16-bit which limited to 32,000 HP bosses. In Velious they changed to 32-bit. 23 expansions later we reached the 32-bit cap.

My assumption is EverQuest expansion #47 we will hit the 64-bit cap, roughly in 2041.
    Axxius and IblisTheMage like this.
  17. Sancus Augur

I can't like this enough.

I was having nightmares about you and Absor adding 90% damage reduction buffs to raid bosses ruining my parses :(
    Duder and kizant like this.
  18. segap Augur

They can still do that. It would just be for their own amusement though.
  19. menown Augur

Thank you for clarifying this.
  20. Khat_Nip Meow

If a guild could perpetually sustain 10 million DPS it would take a little over 29,000 real-life years to down something with that many HPs, heh.
    IblisTheMage likes this.