Test Update 06/12/2018 - Patch Notes and Discussion

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Genusii Journeyman

I enjoy the Enchanter.

The dps was sweet. Thanks so much for the gift for the short duration. I appreciated being top 5 on a parse for awhile.

Thank you for the Bard DoT song! That was a real boost - 80k DPS per burn. Was sweet!

I hope the world of EQ can revert back to having the caster dps aligned to the pre-noted caste system we all love and use to define the mains we play.

I only wish I knew how to make the game harder for every other class. Maybe, just maybe, all other classes could figure out how they become OP instead of filing a complaint that the Enchanter out performed me and I am supposed to have the bigger stream - of damage.

Thank you, again, for the brief and hotly contested placement on the pedestal.

Genusii
    Enchanter
    Tunare

PS - Mortium, I have never read such a sour-grapes story in my life; you make me want to play the enchanter more than ever! Thank you!
    Cailen likes this.
  2. Ruven_BB Augur

While I have an enchanter buff bot, I don't play one in any regular capacity. This continued bait and switch only pisses off your player base, insert any class that got the hammer in power to a pre expansion level is absurd.

It just makes the game less desirable for the high end players who have spent years (it adds up over 19 years) to make incremental increases to their players, only to see it go up in flames with this month's vision change. While nerfs are warranted at times, 8 months into an expansion is a head scratcher. Further, the sum of the nerfs make it even harder for guilds still working through older and current content. They have less dps available to them on their encounters, granted some of the events have had some tuning down, not all events have had tuning changes based on new adjustments.

Interestingly enough, its rare to see any power upgrades from any patch in recent years beyond a new expansion, which typically starts the season of major nerfs to balance future content, old content be damned.

I'm really get tired of seeing friends stop playing, losing interest from some misguided procedure of only adjusting down, never adding increases.

Ruven
    moogs, xcitng, Cailen and 1 other person like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Darn, any chance of changing the files back to their original numbers instead of everyone having to rename them 1 lower? I know a lot of players still use the old icons.
    Xeladom and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I do like not sharing icons. It has bugged me for the longest time that the druid "growth" spells share an icon with the cleric "assurance" line because in the heat of raiding it becomes much harder to know which one someone has on them

However, I do worry about what will happen to my UI which uses the older icons. I hate hate hate the dayglo icons currently used and can't use them. Right now on live, the old ones are there and work fine. I can only hope that any changes will work out for those of us that use the old icons.

Maybe some way we can continue to use the old icons but add some non-dayglo ones that match the style of the old icons? I have not had a chance to check test server to see how this will work out.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I don't either.
    The question to ME would only be if it "has to" routinely be an ENC or not rather a WIZ or MAG (or, dev's forbid, a NEC even) instead.

That made me LOL!
    Apparently you read patch notes very selectively and not at all when it's not related to your class.
    When a WAR "routinely tops parses", then the rest of the raidforce slacks or is non-existant.
    (i mean it's easy to top a parse in Anguish these days when you solo it, but apart from such scenarios - no!)
    When a WAR dual wields on raids while tanking the boss, he's mostly doing so at the "expense" of healing still too, so that'd be a special-case or "i prove that it can be done" kind of thing. I have done it too, once or twice, but it's certainly not for everytime and everywhere. In theory i can even 2h-tank still too, but it'd be just plain dumb to actually do on anything remotely current. Dual is our "baseline", as it should be - back in my days we ONLY tanked with dual and shields were for knights to hide behind. Shield is what we (mostly have to) use on raids, for the extra help (and that makes me a sad old dwarf!).

To our DPS specifically:
    Depending on assignments and events, we can do some nice low 6-digit DPS but hardly while tanking.
    It's a choice we need to make, whether the added DPS is worth the risk and dual-wield is only the "much less risk for almost as good a result" way. it doesn't produce the sexy numbers anymore, but "ok" DPS while not rendering vital abilities useless.

A SHD does "routinely" far more DPS than us, and yet i do not call for a nerf for them, why should i?
    I do not even compare myself to them - they got things they're good at, we got others; and aside from that we are both tanking something, our assignments tend to be inherently different. And you, as ENC, still got things you ARE good at - you just need more events to shine now too imo. THAT is what Dev's tend to overlook imo and THAT should be what your whine should be about, not some lost DPS or "drop" in parses compared to other classes!
    As an ENC-main of OLD, i never thought that "DPS" was what an ENC was there for; but ofc i sure didn't mind them doing what they did.

Nerfs tend to do that. you either find something that still keeps you logging on or you do not.
    GL with your choice!
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I had the feeling that the "new" spell-icons were intended to address the "sharing".
    But like you, i HATE them, they are too cluttered for me - and not discernible enough.

For the change at hand, i am content to wait and will give it even a try in a group setting or two.
    Ín the end, i think i might "end up" with my old spell-icons again (Human is a creature of habit after all), but i'll try to give them a chance.
    Who knows... i might end up with taking their idea and "translating" them into my own spell-icons based on the old ones even...
    It's not TOO hard to create your own TGA files...
  7. p2aa Augur

Warriors do more DPS in 2H stance than DW + Riposte. Also, if your MT was using his DPS discs instead of his mitigation disc, and not using the tanking stance shield stance, this was a raid boss.
    Still, the rest I said about DPS players in your guild remains.
  8. Angahran Augur

Question about the spell icon changes.
    In the EQUI_Animations.xml file, is 'A_SpellGems' still used or can it be removed?
    <Ui2DAnimation item="A_SpellGems">
    Also there is still reference to Spell_Icons.tga.
    Should this be moved to the new EQUI_SpellIcons.xml file ?
    <TextureInfo item="Spell_Icons.tga">
    <Size>
    <CX>256</CX>
    <CY>256</CY>
    </Size>
    </TextureInfo>
    <Ui2DAnimation item="BuffIcons">
    <Cycle>false</Cycle>
    <Grid>true</Grid>
    <Vertical>false</Vertical>
    <CellHeight>40</CellHeight>
    <CellWidth>40</CellWidth>
    <Frames>
    <Texture>Spell_Icons.tga</Texture>
    <Location>
    <X>0</X>
    <Y>0</Y>
    </Location>
    <Size>
    <CX>256</CX>
    <CY>256</CY>
    </Size>
    <Hotspot>
    <X>0</X>
    <Y>0</Y>
    </Hotspot>
    <Duration>1000</Duration>
    </Frames>
    </Ui2DAnimation>
  9. Seldom Augur

If crowd control is going to stay as irrelevant as it is in modern day Everquest then the nerf to Enchanter damage was too heavy handed IMO. I say this as someone who never plays an enchanter and never thinks to themselves, ‘’I could use an enchanter!’’. We’re playing in a time when raid bosses can be dual wield tanked as long as heal team is decently competent. In group game, quality tanks dual wield/2 hand as most things are so trivial maximizing DPS is main concern. Crowd control and the need for it needs to be re-worked if these types of nerfs are going to take place
  10. Lianeb Augur

Not using CC when it is available is a play style choice, not a game style decision. On that note we were told in beta by a dev that “slow” was a form of CC. At the moment according to this almost every tank is CCing if they are using the slow belt.
  11. Rumplestilskin Lorekeeper

good points!
  12. Seldom Augur

Very poor logic Lianeb and completely missing the point IMO. It’s easy to claim not using CC is a play style choice and not a game style decision when your main is a Warrior and you haven’t had a need for it. That’s like claiming a raid geared Warrior using sword and shield in group game is a play style choice. It’s definitely a choice and a poor one at that. There should be an actual need for crowd control(mezz,AE stuns etc) if Enchanter DPS is taking such a heavy hit after all the other recent nerfs they’ve had
  13. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I'd like to know who that was, and i guess i'd like to see him fired too, since this is one of the dumbest things i've heard; an indicator to me that he doesn't know what he's talking about and therefore at the wrong place.
    Slow+Cripple are, like other debuffs, hardly "crowd control" but well... debuffs, plain+simple.
    Or is Tash considered "crowd control" too these days? *facepalms*

At least in MY eyes, Rooting, charming, mezzing, kiting and perhaps even offtanking are means of crowd CONTROL; anything else is DPS or mitigation at best.

I agree.
    But at least to a point, the design is responsible too.
    Mobs have level-based or innate immunities and like the stagnation of our Warlord's Grasp since two expansions now, or rendering unflinching useless due to level restrictions where it'd matter i do not think that is a coincidence either.
    Sometimes i really get the feeling that certain people (i.e. some Devs) are too much fascinated by certain details or aspects that they loose sight of the grander picture. (that they do not see the forest for all them trees).
    In the few cases where CC (aside from kiting and offtanking) IS possible though, i agree with you:
    Usage or lack thereof depends on the raidforce's makeup and is a choice. Only a choice we seem to have too seldom. imo.
  14. Sancus Augur

So on live, this is what my spellbar looks like. I use a default UI, with the exception of old spell icons:

[IMG]

On test, I've tried both classic_spell_icons and my UI from live with spells0x.tga renamed. They look identical, like so:

[IMG]

I assume the difference is that gemicons01/02/03 are no longer used? It looks quite a bit better on live though, so is there any way to make it look like that again? I've never really fiddled with EQ UI elements, so I'm not really familiar with how they work. Would be nice to keep what I had though.
    Nniki likes this.
  15. Angahran Augur

Thinking about these new spell icon files.
    It's looking like it is not going to be possible for those of us with custom spell icons to continue using them.

I'm guessing that there is some internal mapping between each spell and the location of it's icon in the files and so, if we attempt to continue using our 7 original files instead of the 62 new files, the majority of our spells in game are going to have no icon or some default 'icon not found' graphic.

As I said, I'm just guessing and I would be really happy to be proved wrong and to be able to continue using my current spell icons.
  16. Angahran Augur

Another UI request.
    I don't know how UI elements are flagged as 'required' (which causes the warning in the uierrors file if they are not found) but would it be possible to have this 'flag' removed for anything that is a basic text element ?

e.g.
    When the new 'prefix' and 'suffix' elements were added, I modified several UI windows to just include a '%' on the end of values instead of having a completely separate element just to place a '%'.
    However, these appear to be marked as required so now I get spam messages in uierrors.txt

[Fri Jun 15 15:27:44 2018] Error: Could not find child HPPercLabel in window TargetWindow
    [Fri Jun 15 15:27:44 2018] Error: Could not find child HPPerLabel in window PlayerWindow
    [Fri Jun 15 15:27:44 2018] Error: Could not find child ManPercLabel in window PlayerWindow
    [Fri Jun 15 15:27:44 2018] Error: Could not find child FatiguePercLabel in window PlayerWindow
  17. Dzarn Developer

We will be aiming to have a client update on Test to address this, tentatively on Monday.

We will be renaming the spell icon sheets from Spells00-62.tga to Spells01-63.tga.
    We will be reintroducing gem icons as their own sheets gemicons01-23.tga.

These two changes should make it easier to update existing customized UI elements as well as improve the visuals for the spell gem icons when the spell gem window is at an opacity other than 100%.
  18. Draxton New Member

Everything is working fine now. I can not reproduce it again.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Dzarn, you just made an old lady very happy :)
  20. Angahran Augur

Could you give any details on how the mapping of spell to icon works ?
    Currently, for custom spell icons we have spells00 to spells07.

I'm guessing we need to copy each of our existing icons to multiple places in the new files.
    If we knew the mapping it would just be a case of a lot of cut and paste.