Question: When Ya'll Gonna Fix AB?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nekk, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Nekk Augur

Seriously, can we at least get an eta or something on the status of the AB server?
  2. slayerofbats Augur

I wanna play on it but I think they wont fix it and will just stick with US servers.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If that's the case, they need to move the Euro server to the US. Getting sick of this substandard service.
  4. Silver-Crow Augur

Yeah i suspect there's a coding fix in the offing.

#!/bin/bash
    # Version 0.1
    # Fixes issues with AB server.
    BROKEN_SERVER=antonius_bayle
    UNUSED_SERVER=vox
    CODECHANGE=`echo "$BROKEN_SERVER$UNUSED_SERVER"|sed s/$BROKEN_SERVER//`
    FIXEDSERVER=$CODECHANGE
    echo $FIXEDSERVER
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Hludwolf likes this.
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

They must've heard you across the lake and as Waring said, have finally posted an update and a different status message.
    Meh...
    TBH i was already sick during last year and for most of this year, when we suffered the bad chat-lag.
    But recently, THAT has at least been mostly gone.
    happens, and if we take Hludwolf's post at face value (no reason not to imo) it's even beyond their direct control.
    Frankly, i still prefer to "suffer" some temporary issues than having the server and all moved to the US for more than a temporary "fix" for anything - because as lax EU laws tend to be (in comparison to what they should be and are in some member-countries), they still far more strict and customer-friendly than in the US.

And in THIS case, the "substandard service" seems to be rendered by the dutch.
    So let's boycott those greenhouse tomatoes, or demand compensation in the form of some voucher for our next visit to some coffee shop (before the rising sea level puts an end to the only good dutch thing!) :)
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

We can blame the dutch?

Neuke in de keuke, that is awesome!
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I like the Dutch, they call chicken, Kip. :)
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

Which begs the question of why it hasn't already been moved. You folks on AB have been forced to tolerate substandard service for years. Is there a contractual, or legal, reason it can't be moved?
  10. AB_H'Sishi Augur

Nennius: In fact, they offered us something like that last year - a free move to another server of our choice. But they didn't expect how stubborn EU players can be :D - we refused to move.
  11. Roxxlyy Augur

If you haven't yet heard, here was a hardware failure last night in our EU data center that caused these issues. I don't have an ETA to share yet, but the team has been working on it through the night and is still in the process of repairing things.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

I will then rephrase the question. Why not move the entire population of AB to a server that actually runs well instead of breaking up the population? If they are fixing a proven defective system it seems like throwing good money after bad.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Zhaunil_AB Augur

It's still the wrong question, really.
    The issue we have had with AB weren't with the hardware, they were - by their own admission - architecture-related.
    (i.e. re-routing all chat from the EU to the US for analysis and back, together with what looked like a undersized chat/queue software product.)
    AB ran fine during TBM, when i returned, and started with these serious issues sometime during EoK farming iirc and those issues lasted until not too long ago.
    The chat-related issues WERE mostly gone, and they DID finally work on them and apparently solve them too (probably at the "cost" of some other servers now experiencing similar issues, but that's still down to the undersized software from my point of view, which is an outside one so it must be taken with LOTS of salt).

AB being in the EU has several advantages, one of them being a low ping (and it matters somewhat, even if EQ isn't exactly a shooter the difference between a 40ping and a 200one might be "not game-breaking" but it is there and noticeable) and another are indeed some legal issues.
    (It'd be interesting to know what a german/european data privacy officer would have to say to their architecture, but that's a different matter)

In short:
    European customers, revenue generated in the EU, EU-based service - adds up in my book.
    Now just what's missing is that ALL US companies operating in the EU also pay taxes here *looks especially but not exclusively at the apples, googles and facebooks*...
  14. slayerofbats Augur

I don't think EQ customers are entitled to anything though.
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

lol... we certainly are.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They offered us the move, but couldn't guarantee we wouldn't have the same problems on a new server.
  17. Roxxlyy Augur

We were able to successfully bring up some of the other EU servers that went down and are working to get AB back up now. Still no ETA, but we're moving much closer to having things back up and running.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

A pox on you and your taxes *tosses a crate of tea over the side*
  19. Zhaunil_AB Augur

haha...
    That may still work for the brits, but in order to hurt US you'd have to throw bananas overboard instead. Or coffee :)
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Hey, this brit would rather have rum!