Anyone else scared to play in case the game closes some day soon?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KateL7, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KateL7 Lorekeeper

I guess they wouldn't be here :p But still, I wonder if anyone else ever thinks about this. I played a few SOE games that I really loved and I was so sad when the servers shut down. I am back to EQ now but I find it hard to spend time doing things like epics and stuff when I think that they could announce sunset any day now and I would never have time to enjoy my hard work :/
  2. Tutankamen Augur

It's definitely a concern but you would hope that they'd take steps to leave the servers up and running if anything happened.
  3. Derd Augur

Hi short answer no I don't even really ever think about it. On the plus side you can do things to help. Use yearly subscription so they know their cash flow, try to keep friends playing, support other games in the Daybreak family. H1z one and DC Universe we're both in the top 10 most downloaded games this last week so that's a good sign. The PS4 roll out for H1 Z1 seems to have gone well. And like the previous poster I feel that at least some servers would stay open for enough time to wean us off of the game. In case of something terrible happening.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if EQ1 was still getting new content 5 years from now...:)

Among all the projects from DBG, EQ1 is probably the "old faithful" one, that gives a steady income.
    slayerofbats likes this.
  5. KateL7 Lorekeeper

Thanks guys that makes me feel better!
  6. svann Augur

Was concerned, but June 6 came and went with no issues so I guess its not an issue.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Ya, there's a new expansion in the works and if they keep to the normal schedule it should be out in November/December. So, I don't think EQ is going away anytime soon. They don't even want to merge servers, which would save them money in the long run, so I think we're safe.
    KateL7 likes this.
  8. Zalamyr Augur

It's certainly a concern, but I'd say EQ is probably actually less risky than most new MMO's that come out. Outside of the big staples (like WoW, FF14, ESO, etc), no MMO's are particularly safe. The number of new MMO's that come out only to never see an expansion is pretty vast.
  9. Cicelee Augur

All games, at some point in time, are no longer supported and expanded upon by game companies and developers. The fact that this game is about to see its 20 year anniversary next spring speaks volumes for its longevity. And considering during peak hours across all servers you are probably looking at 5-10 thousand accounts/players online...

I think the game is doing A OKAY.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Shoot even humans die. Someday. But you can bet I am playing the heck out of EQ before I do!
    eqgamer likes this.
  11. Febb Augur

As long as the games are popular and they can at least pay the bills and employees, they will keep making expansions. I would say Everquest is going to be around for a while.
  12. Lingum Elder

How many things have "been in the works" that never came to pass? Working on something for this game doesn't mean a heck of a lot. I mean I'll probably be dead before there's another Everquest game.
  13. Tutankamen Augur

What I meant was that they could no longer make money on it they could simply turn the servers over to a group of people willing to keep them maintained... and running.
  14. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

If you're talking about EQ Next that's a whole different scenario. I totally new game vs an expansion to a 20 year old game are not the same thing. Sure they have said we would get things that never came to be (Hello ship to ship Combat), but they've never promised an expansion and not delivered.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

All Good Things...
    Sancus likes this.
  16. Venedar Lorekeeper

Haha, I long for that day. The shutdown would make me free!
    Lily and Nniki like this.
  17. Tegila Augur

What exactly would there to be scared of? Wasting time? That's what games are for. Not getting to keep the product of your efforts forever? That's everything. It's not like you would actually lose anything irk, and if you would you should probably rethink your eqhabits anyway. Losing anything in the game via the game shutting down isn't injurious in any way. Losing something in game sue to bug or hack etc that requires respending time effort or cash, is a different story but also not injurious irk unless you're overspending your entertainment budget, and that's your fault, which should be a fear but a wakeup call. Gamblers that find themselves afraid of losing are overreaching their resources or there'd be no fear, same thing. Game's a pastime not a career path.
  18. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

I say: Play every day like it may be your last! Take notice in the beauty of Norrath around you, and the pride in what you and your friends have accomplished together. Play together regularly and make new friendships, you never know when this chapter may end - so cherrish it while you can. (Here is to hoping another decade or two is ahead of us.)
  19. Khat_Nip Meow

I can't entertain OP's question.
    It would be no different for a newborn to say there would be no point in experience or ambition because everyone inevitably dies so why bother doing anything?
  20. Allayna Augur

Weird...I feel like posts like this were JUST addressed by a representative from DBG in another chicken little thread by another title.

“Please refrain from spreading false rumors and information.”

Roxxlyy, Thursday at 12:26 PM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.