Collecting pet names

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Do you really do that? I thought most pet classes were trained by now to just /who pet leader after they summon a pet.
    Cicelee likes this.
  2. Sancus Augur

Well I only self parse in RoI/VH, and most people there either have named their pets after themselves (which I agree is bad) or use pet leader. And if they don't link their pets I don't really care.

When I raid on my Wizard, which is in a low tier guild, people are horrible about linking their pets, and I do parse the whole raid. Since parses (both mine and others) are one of the factors we use when looking at who to sit, who needs the most help with DPS, etc, it's kinda important to link pets in there. And the people I'm looking at have far worse issues than forgetting to use pet leader (when you're only doing 20 or 30k personal DPS, a pet that adds another 20k DPS is pretty relevant).
  3. Angahran Augur

Was so happy when the game accepted 'Stupid' as my pets name :)
  4. Cicelee Augur

My pet's name is Smoochies.

When I was dating my now wife, EQ introduced the ability to change your pet name. She is not a fan of EQ, and is the true definition of a non gamer. In order to get some brownie points with her, I told her she could name my pet (thinking she will be happy about being part of this). I gave her three choices.

She chose option #4.

So let this be a public service announcement for all- if your spouse hates EQ, do not give them the option to change your pet's name with three options. It could turn up as option #4...
    Yinla, Sancus and IblisTheMage like this.
  5. Koryu Professional Roadkill

"Speedbump" is too common. I think my favorite name so far is an Enchanter pet that answers to "Flaccid." I tried naming my doppeganger aggro pet to "Narcissism," but it's a swarm pet so apparently my Champion's Aura got renamed instead.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Best necro pet name is Boner
  7. mackal Augur

Someone on p99 came up with

"I began to list the names in excel and try and figure out how the naming convention worked. I find that it is separated into 4 parts (called Position1, Position2, Position3, Position4).

Basically the values look like this:
    (G,J,K,L,V,X,Z) + (“”,ab,ar,as,eb,en,ib,ob,on) + (“”,an,ar,ek,ob) + (ab,er,n,tik)

There are very limited rules involved:
    1) If Postion2 + Postion3 are blank, Position4 = "tik"
    2) If Position3 = "ek", Position4 cannot be "tik"
    3) Remove duplicates from list (optional... see below. For example G+""+ar+n is the same as G+ar+""+n)

I found near 700 pets and never found an 'ektik' in the name, so I'm very confident in that rule (maybe Brad didn't like how it sounded /shrug).

I built a name generator in ghetto excel VBA, here are the different sorts I came up with:"

I notice niente's list also doesn't include ektik :p'

Edit: their full list with duplicates removed came up with 1120

Edit: diff with your list and their list

Code:
    --- petnames.txt2018-06-08 17:37:58.146320866 -0400
    +++ petnameslive.txt2018-06-08 17:38:05.146317042 -0400
    @@ -157,7 +157,6 @@
     Gonobn
     Gonobtik
     Gontik
    -Gtik
     Jabab
     Jabanab
     Jabaner
    @@ -317,7 +316,6 @@
     Jonobn
     Jonobtik
     Jontik
    -Jtik
     Kabab
     Kabanab
     Kabaner
    @@ -477,7 +475,6 @@
     Konobn
     Konobtik
     Kontik
    -Ktik
     Labab
     Labanab
     Labaner
    @@ -637,7 +634,6 @@
     Lonobn
     Lonobtik
     Lontik
    -Ltik
     Vabab
     Vabanab
     Vabaner

IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. kizant Augur

They're not open to updating what they log to make this easier?
  9. Rhetoric New Member

I came here just to point out the severe lack of this name in people's posts.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

Boned?

*giggles like a 7 year old*
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

My mage pet is called Troublemaker

My pet gets me into so much bother!
  12. Brohg Augur

Upside? GINA trigger every now & then announces "Narcissicm fades."
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  13. Yimin Augur

Why get me in the middle ?

YiMin