Takes minimum 4 hours to reasonably progress 45+ (coirnav)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rapala, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Rapala Journeyman

30-60 minutes to find a group & get situated in camp, as a highly sought after class. Less sought after classes are something I can't even consider playing due to potential LFG times.

2 hours to grind xp, best case is no one dies and group stays in tact. More likely you have people filtering in and out and replacements come with pauses in flow of exp. Worst case is deaths followed by people leaving group and having to fill roles or group disbanding.

1 hour to find a replacement -- I have a rule, If I know I have only 1 hour left I start looking for a rep, once I find one, I leave once they arrive, sometimes this is within 5-10 minutes of looking. This is out of common courtesy to my group and the fact I play a class which is essential to the group, and thus can't just be replaced by <insert class x>.

This puts 4 hours at the MINIMUM for me to even consider logging in. Which is why I haven't in about 3 weeks and stopped about 90% into 48. I think the nostalgia carried me through the initial grind, at which point I realized I was doing literally nothing else with my time multiple weekends in a row.

If another TLP is released I hope the XP is considerably faster than here, at the very least up the efficiency of solo XP. I've heard about Agnarr's xp rate, unfortunately I was into P99 when that released and did not join, thus missing the boat. The difference with P99 was that solo XP was different than here, you could actually login and progress efficiently playing a solo class, making an hour or two feel like the 4 hours here.
    Brontus, TLP Addict and monkypowah like this.
  2. GeauxTigers Elder

I remember spending 6 hours trying to get 20% of a hell level in actual classic. Coirnav is much better. Complaining on the forums instead of making friends and doing your own groups is silly.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Dranix Augur

To be completely fair - I play here because my friends wanted to play here. The xp sucks. I have 3 50s and it was an absolute chore. Grinding for levels this day and age is just another gate for the content people actually want to do. Its a pointless time sink.

Love the server, hate the xp choices made here.
    Rapala and Critt like this.
  4. monkypowah Elder

I have 2 level 50’s guilded with raid gear on coirnav and am not coming back for kunark lol. There are not 1000’s of content people man. There are probably more people like this 48 guy and me than you would find comfortable. Not all TLP’s have a successful recipe to make it long term. Some are just a short term Kronos farm for a few people. You need to be wise enough to see the forest from the trees. OP was on point about the exp rate. If anything a new TLP with “faster” exp was more likely in order at this stage. . Another recent thread touched on the fact coirnav absorbed a lot of the Kronos farmers and other toxic people from other servers and that is very true. Phinny, Agnarr, RF all seem to be doing quite well and a lot of that unwanted stuff is gone now so it’s win-win situation for the people who will be TLPing long term
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Yea like... nobody ever said coirnav was a good idea, timed well, or unique. So that's why so many people skipped it or left quickly.
    Ryak likes this.
  6. Machentoo Augur

Sounds like you have a lot of unnecessary personal rules that are preventing you from making progress. Maybe change some of your limiting beliefs instead of blaming the system.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Febb Augur

The early expansions weren't designed for casual players. If you can't put in the time then you aren't going to keep up.
  8. Rapala Journeyman

No argument here. When I was 13 playing EQ classic I could spend 12+ hours a day in the summer grinding away, no qualms with it. Now I'm 32 and my free time is limited. If I could log in for an hour or two here and there and actually feel like I'm making a stab at the xp grind, I would. As is I don't feel that with Coirnav, especially since hitting about lvl 43 or so. I'm well aware that classic was much, much worse. I'm not even asking for anything about Coirnav to change (although I do think they will increase xp gains soon), I'm only expressing a hope that if another TLP comes out, the exp grind is far less substantial, and/or solo XP is more efficient and viable.
  9. Urshulgi Augur

I feel you on that.

When I heard Coirnav was going to have slow xp, I noped out. I'll stay on Agnarr and play with my shaman/pally duo and work at my own pace. Not in a race to get anywhere, since I'm really just waiting for a certain other MMO that's in development.
  10. Brumans Augur

And people said TLPs don't recreate the original experience.
  11. jeskola pheerie

They didn't make me 23 again with way less rl responsibility, so no, they don't!
    Machentoo likes this.
  12. Magic Augur

Same as me!
    Hope to see new tlp server with FV ruleset and good exp soon.
  13. Critt Augur

I'm just curious there are probably 30 other threads similar to this one, did you not read any of them before deciding to play on Coirnav and why did you decide to if you actually read any of them? I play there because I love the group of people that I played with on phinny and they are here..why do you?
  14. Risiko Augur

I don't enjoy the experience grind on Coirnav, and I didn't enjoy the experience grind on Phinigel either. That being said, I played up through Shadows of Luclin on Phinigel, and I'm still playing on Coirnav in Kunark.

The experience grind on both of these TLP servers have not been my favorite part, but I can say that after also playing on every other TLP server (other than Lockjaw) prior to Phinigel, I was experiencing the content much longer in each level range than I did on any TLP servers prior to Phinigel.

It's kind of weird because on one hand I did NOT like the experience grind, but on the other hand, I did like the fact that I wasn't rushed through the content on my way to max level.

I don't blame anyone for hating the experience grind on Coirnav. I fully understand. I just think that if you focus less on the experience bar, and more on experiencing the game, you might find you like it more than you realize.
    Critt likes this.
  15. taliefer Augur

the exp rate on phinny and coirnav would be fine, if the expansions werent all packed into 3 month cycles. i still will never understand the logic behind giving ragefire and lockjaw, and especially agnarr, faster exp rates than phinny and coirnav
  16. Risiko Augur

It's possible that I play the game too much, but I really didn't think I pushed myself on this server and still got to 50 before Kunark opened.

I'm not trying to say the struggle isn't real though. I'm just saying that it is possible to get max level on Coirnav in 3 month expansion cycles.

Personally, I got to max level, got what raid gear I could, completed most of the epic parts I could complete in Classic, and got my Jboots. That was along with taking numerous death touches on raids.

It's not impossible on a 3 month expansion cycle, and it doesn't require 40 hours a week to accomplish. But... it isn't as easy as it is on other servers.
  17. Dahaman Augur

And now you have 36 weeks to get from level 50 to level 60 and max level. That sounds very doable.

I made it to level 39 in Classic. I hope to get into the low 50s in Kunark era. I'm having a great time with Coirnav.
  18. Freeidiot New Member

with xp pots and them giving the server bonus xp gains during certain events this is no where near the grind original eq was by the sound of it

hell bring back corpse recovery and just push out all the ones that think this is hard and get ready for many a flame petition and threads when you do
  19. monkypowah Elder

exp on phinny is wonderful, especially now that its in TSS.. that kunark 50-60 stuff on coirnav? thanks but no id rather not again. 2 50's with raidgear will rot away to nothingness and i care not one bit
  20. Tiggold Augur

Sounds like it's working as intended. Welcome to old school EQ. Buy those Kronos!
    Freeidiot likes this.