Worn Focus Effects and Clicks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by PosterName, Jun 6, 2018.

1. PosterName New Member

I am pretty sure that worn focus effects do not impact clicks. Using necro as an example, if a necro clicks the Tacvi dagger to cast the Horror spell, the necro's worn focus damage modifier does not apply to this dot. Same as how long the dot lasts. Worn dot extension will not make it last longer. Is that accurate?

Another scenario is when a necro clicks their CoA robe. When a necro clicks this, the extend enhancement focus effect will not make this buff last longer. Is that accurate?

I am under the impression that only AA's will impact clicks and that worn focus effects will not. Would someone be able to confirm my assertion or provide some clarification?
  2. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Focus effects do not have an impact on clicks.

AA such as crit aa will have an impact on clicks if they are dots or nukes or heals.
  3. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The vast majority of focus effects require spells they focus to use mana. The vast majority of clicks use 0 mana.
    This is working as intended.
    PosterName and snailish like this.
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

For the Necro dagger:

[4098] Horror
    Classes: NEC/63
    Skill: Conjuration
    Mana: 450
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Magic -30
    Reflectable: Yes
    Trigger Spell DS: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 3s, Recast: 6s, Timer: 4, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 30s+ (5 ticks), Dispelable: No
    1: Increase Curse Counter by 24
    2: Decrease Current HP by 450 per tick
    Inflicts a dark curse upon your target, causing between #2 and @2 damage every 6 seconds for %z.

[7260] Horror
    Mana: 450
    Resist: Magic -30
    Casting: 3s, Recast: 6s
    Duration: 30s+ (5 ticks), Dispelable: No
    1: Increase Curse Counter by 24
    2: Decrease Current HP by 450 per tick
    Inflicts a dark curse upon your target, causing between #2 and @2 damage every 6 seconds for %z.

Your class gets Spell ID 4098. The dagger clicks Spell ID 7260.

Yes it's the exact same spell, but the one minor difference being "technically" Horror from ID 7260 isn't a Necromancer spell. Therefore it won't focus.

For the CoA BP:

[6390] Bane of Muram
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 18s+ (3 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase Chance to Critical DoT by 40%
    Increases the damage your duration damage spells will do for a short period of time.

Again this is not a Necromancer spell, so Extended Enhancement focus wont work.

It's less about the mana and more about the fact that your class needs to have the spell it's clicking. For many clickies, like the Necro dagger, they made duplicate spells to prevent these clicks from focusing.

For example whenever you get the DoN Vishimtar Eye clicky, that lifetap will use focus effects because the clicky is a spell your class owns.

Things like Jaundiced Bone Bracer, Elder Spiritists Vambraces, Orb of Clinging Death, Time's Antithesis. These should all utilized extension, range, and damage focuses. Because they click spells the class owns. There are plenty of other examples these are just a few. No clicky will ever use Haste (because the click time is fixed) or mana pres (because they don't use mana) focuses.
    PosterName likes this.
  5. PosterName New Member

Thanks for the responses! This was really good information. I have a follow-up question because I have never understood it and no one could give me an explanation for it.

In Darchon's data, Horror has a magic resist check of -30. I was looking at some data for Blade Strike (level 68 mage nuke) and noticed it didn't have a resist check. I checked a couple other mage nukes and didn't see any with resist checks (maybe I missed it). How does resist checks impact a dot/nuke landing? Or does it not?

Mana: 431 Skill: Conjuration
    Casting Time: 6.25 Recast Time: 1.5
    Fizzle Time: 1.5 Resist: Magic
    Range: 200 Location: Any
    Time of Day: Any Push Back: 0.5
    Deletable: No Reflectable: No
    Focusable: Yes Dispellable: Yes
    Interruptable: Yes Target Type: Single
    Spell Type: Detrimental Source: Live 05/21
    Link: Allakhazam's Entry

I was just trying to understand which spells are worth casting in COA because some of the mobs are super resistant to a particular spell type (or all spells, in general). Like, curse dots like Horror have a resist check of -30 but fire dots have a resist check of -100. What's the difference?
  6. Darchon_Xegony Augur

A resist check subtracts that value from your targets resist before performing the roll to see if it hits or lands.

For example, Wizard Lure spells have -300 resist and Druid magic DoTs have -100 resist checks.

So if you're fighting a mob with 350 Cold Resist and you use Lure of Ice (-300), it rolls the Resist check as if the creature has 50 CR:
    [1769] Lure of Ice
    Classes: WIZ/60
    Skill: Evocation
    Mana: 310
    Resist: Cold -300
    Casting: 4.5s, Recast: 1.5s, Rest: 1.5s
    1: Decrease Current HP by 882
    Shards of piercing ice consume your target, causing @1 damage. This damage is much more difficult to resist than most spells.

At this point you're likely to get a full or high partial hit if the level disparity isn't too huge. If instead you opt to use Ice Spear of Solist (-10), you'd be rolling against a creature with effectively 340 CR.

[1426] Ice Spear of Solist
    Classes: WIZ/60
    Skill: Evocation
    Mana: 221
    Range: 150'
    Resist: Cold -10
    Casting: 4s, Recast: 13s, Timer: 2, Rest: 1.5s
    1: Decrease Current HP by 1076
    Creates a fierce spear of ice to strike your target, causing between #1 and @1 damage.

This is very likely to lead to a full Resist.

In summary, the higher the -XYZ Resist check, the more likely the spell is to land. Necro fire lines are mostly -100 FR. Necro Lifetaps are -200 MR. Druid fire Debuffs like Hand of Ro and Blessing of Ro are -100 FR. Druid Magic DoTs are -100. Wizard Lures are -300. Anti Summoned/Undead Nukes are -100 MR.

Basically these checks of -100+ are almost always guaranteed to be full hits on trash mobs near your level in the first 20 expansions or so. Regular trash mob Resists aren't too high so it's extremely rare for these spells to eat Resists.
    PosterName likes this.
  7. snailish Augur

If you have the click, just re-click it (would be a reasonable premise for why they don't focus).
  8. Rickate Augur

The vast majority of focus effects degrade over a level cap. The vast majority of clicks are Level 255 spells. Necro Epic 1.5+ will increase the chance of a crit on the Horror click. The vast majority of AA are not level limited and will focus a Level 255 spell as easily as a Level 10 spell. It is not true that it's common for focus effects to require a mana cost.
  9. Machentoo Augur

[IMG]
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  10. Zanarnar Augur

What your missing is that nuke doesn't have a resist MODIFIER. Not all spells do. It checks against magic without adjusting the targets MR.
    PosterName likes this.
  11. Adonhiram Augur

/wave

True but there are exceptions, some nuke clickies will never crit (Tacvi mage dagger for example), whereas most other nuke clickies will (DoN orb, and Vish earring iirc).
  12. Zapsos Augur

Thank you random guy on the internet, I am sure to trust you more than the Developer o_O
  13. PosterName New Member

Thanks for the info/replies. Really appreciate the insight the community has to offer!
  14. Darchon_Xegony Augur

In fairness, Ngreth isn't really correct.

Just because a clicky has a spell that has mana in its spell data, doesn't mean it will use focus effects.

The spell must be a spell your class can use, and the level of the spell has to be lower than the focus you have, then the range, duration, and heal/damage component can focus.

For example, the PoTime clickies for casters/priests (Druid Orb, Shaman TA, Enchanter SoV, Mage Malo Mask, Wiz/Necro Rune Wand), all focus because their clicks are spells those classes get. Similarly all the EP Legs for casters focus, again because they're all spells the classes get.

However something like Prayers of Life or Bladestopper, which any class can use, will only focus for Clerics and Enchanters respectively.

Also interestingly, aggro on clickies changes based on if your class can use the spell being clicked. For example an Enchanter will generate more hate clicking a Midnight Mallet than a Warrior would, because a shaman actually has the Walking Sleep spell.
  15. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I'll double check this when I get home but I'm pretty sure this blanket statement isn't 100% correct; I'm fairly positive that cast time reduction focus effects won't apply to the TA click. In general I can see this statement being true, but pretty sure of at least this exception. On the other hand, I think duration extension effects do apply.
  16. Adonhiram Augur

Indeed, they won't. Same way, nuke clickies will never be focused by improved damage type foci - some can crit, some can't crit, as said. I'm not 100% sure about distance and extended duration foci, but I think they apply, can test that ingame with Malosinia mask for example.
  17. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I addressed this above:

PathToEternity likes this.