Temporary: allow a single merc healer on raids

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, May 29, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Whoa.

I didn’t realize this was such a sensitive topic. Learning every day.

I have recently begun joining raiding in a guild that also allows Family style members. I am having a blast as a noob in the raiding game, last time I raided must have been around 15-ish years ago. We had a raid night cancelled the other day because of low attendance, which made me think that a dps group could perhaps live with a merc healer —> healers enough for a smaller target.

I was talking about a single merc in a raid of 30+ people. Not a merc for every group, not a merc for boxers that want to do old raids (I can do them just fine with my Shaman buddy).

I realize I have broken some kind of norm here, I still need to learn what is the basis of this norm.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

The FQ video was of course a joke, not sure I would call it trolling. Generation X, my generation, was a lot about not taking anything too serious, and trying to hold up a mirror, mixing humor and irony, always trying to out-meta the conversation, since it is all just a big mess of silly anyway.

The question was legit. I am thee noobest of raiders, having 3 raids under my belt in this last decade (and a half). Basically, on a scale of knowing nothing wrt raid life, I am quite John Snow.
  3. Brohg Augur

1) put on Shield of Order
    2) check the MT's buff bar for Ancient Alliance.
    2a) should he be lacking that buff, whine & ***** up a storm until the tank gets it. beg/borrow/steal a competent shm for next time to make 2a) unnecessary.
    2b) repeat 2) every 2 minutes
    3) you're now immortal, you'll only ever die after the raid has already wiped.

caster groups don't need no "healers". play better as a raid.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  4. moogs Augur

We are called druids.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It's not so much it's a sensitive subject, it's that mercs are stupid.

Mercs won't run away on an emote
    Mercs will cure things you don't want curing

Mercs are more likely to wipe your raid rather than help you progress. They are bad enough in the group game, they would be a nightmare on raids. You would be far better with someone boxing a healer than having a merc in.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

Thanks, man.

This is actually what I tried last week. To avoid dying, I moved close to MTs, my health never dropped below 80. Last time I added Shield of Order, only died on wipe.

I realize now that mercs will never react to emotes.

Thanks for the education everyone.
  7. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

The biggest problem with Mercs on raids is the fact that Mercs cant and wont follow scripts. This was the reason they were cancelled during beta testing. We tried to use the R Mercs and they would either ignore mechanics and trivialize the fight, or they would break the fight, ie kill the NPC that had to stay alive, or kill the NPC too soon, or do too much damage to the NPC advancing the script too soon, etc etc.

So rather then spend thousands of man hours scripting mercs for every raid in the game, past, present and future they scrapped it and worked on adding other things to the game. Which honestly was a smart move since Raid Mercs would probably generate a large increase in /petitions for broken content or blown lockouts.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. Risiko Augur

You're on the Internet. You can simply say "hello" on the internet and instantly gain a following of haters that will pick apart why you said it, how you said it, and when you will say it again. Welcome aboard. Next stop Trollville.
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

[IMG]

It’s a *very* dumb idea for a bunch of different reasons, which is why you’re getting this kind of reaction.
    Brohg and IblisTheMage like this.
  10. CrazyLarth Augur

Need a new Raid Shroud CLASS max level convert your main toon in to a

Shroud Raid cleric some AA' heal spells some AA cure spells ect. Some AA undead.
    Shroud Raid Bard - ect

Toon gets flagged can get loot for the main toon.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Hehe ok. Nobody is obliged beyond their capabilities, as my second wife used to say. I have thick skin, and I am literally a factory of bad ideas, which through the filtering and processing of my competent peers from time to time becomes something useful. So I am used to come with a lot of dumb ideas, it is part of my “process”. *giggles like a little smurf*
  12. moogs Augur

You're okay, Iblis. When you explained that you had not raided for 15 years, I think they let up and went pretty easy on you.
    IblisTheMage and Sheex like this.
  13. Gnomeland Augur

How about fixing mercenaries to be useful in existing group content, first? The tanks are completely worthless and the damage mercenaries do less of it than a guy 10 levels below. Right now, you might as well not play the game by yourself unless you box.

And no, always having a player group is not an option. This is not 15 years ago when people still sit and look for groups every night.
  14. Intenso Augur

ros raid geared mercs with decent heal logic script ! lol
  15. Allayna Augur

Dr00ds are a myth.
  16. GinODin New Member

HELLO!!!!
  17. snailish Augur

You might get more traction for the terrible idea of upgrading the abandoned shroud system to provide class alternatives.

Dev time would be probably better spent creating a new heroic level 105 template to sell, and downgrade the 85 version as an account unlock for the character creation screen that they could also sell. (some of us would pay for the existing 51/50 as an account unlock...even naked, especially on progression past Luclin).
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I would say that they want to do almost current content, rather than old content. If they were wanting to do old raid content then EoK would not have been mentioned and reasonable restrictions, like mercs only being allowed in content that can be started with 6 or fewer people, would have been mentioned.
  19. Millianna Augur

Why bother? One merc? Just have someone reroll a healer.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Because it typically is not being done by a group, it is just being done by a single person who has 5 other people in the group to get the task/dz. It is fairly common for people to even ask for 17 other people just so that they can request a raid to solo. The 6 person limit is tied to the fact that when the requirement to start the event is 6 or less, then it stops being raid content and starts being group content; and as a rule group content allows mercs.