Paladin

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Teldiin, May 9, 2018.

1. Silverstone Journeyman

To the original poster, Teldiin welcome back to the game. Please do not let these boards deter you from the game, EQ is fun and challenging. All 3 tanks can molo effectively, some will just kill faster then others. As a Paladin your heal spells can save groups and like a Shadowknight you will be able to "solo" some mobs.

Each class in the game has its strengths and weaknesses, find the one you have the most fun playing and stick with it.

2. Dreadmore Augur

Sorry to be another person to disagree with you yet again...

... but I find nearly all the classes fun, so I can't stick with anyone one of them! :D
  3. Paradisic_parasite Elder

Are you using RoS bp click? It has a hefty end cost associated with it.
    Tierwyn and Outlander Engine like this.
  4. Outlander Engine Elder

Going to like your reply and boost it because it's the most constructive post in this thread.
  5. Silverstone Journeyman

Finally a logical/constructive post, thank you.

Wish I could say I was, would be an easy explanation. No, the disc's are intermittent meaning they do not do this every time. The only thing I had running the other day was Holy Forge and it took my stamina down to 60 percent, the strange part is each time the stamina seems to vary. Lately I have had less occurrences, still about 2 in 10 uses for me the same stamina drain occurs, nothing else clicked.
  6. shiftie Augur

Where were you fighting?
  7. Silverstone Journeyman

Been swarming in this zone to complete this expansion
    SEPULCHER OF ORDER
    . Although after patch, I have not noticed the bug occur so far, I will keep my fingers crossed.

I love the old world quests, even though the rewards are not very good. Hero's journey completed, all raids ect up to house of Thule flagged for and completed. Skipped a few expansions to finish leveling Tear of Alaris. Yes, Eok and Ros completed, just like completing all the older stuff also.

I highly recommend the Hero's journey, the old world raids were very fun to complete. The monster missions probably were the toughest parts, till we figured them out.
  8. shiftie Augur

If you are swarming it is likely you picked up a named with a spell that endurance drains and you might not have noticed it I’d check your fight logs and see the npc list to cross reference
  9. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Just get a sexah AGI tank. Dats all u need brah.
  10. Kelset Elder

Answering your original question, in my experience paladins are a great group class. They can maintain agro, ae agro and most importantly have the tools to stay alive tanking while the rest of the group does their specialties. In regards to moloing, there are other classes that I'd pick over the Paladin, but id also say that about warriors and sks. As an alternative you can consider boxing a f2p 2nd account and do well as someone else mentioned.
    Good hunting and welcome back.
  11. Allayna Augur

Don't believe the hype on warriors and shadowknights, paladins are doing fine and have great utility in a solo, group or raid setting. Like always, it has come down to knowing your class and what role you will be fulfilling.

mmats, kizant and Drogba like this.
  12. Zaviere Augur

Literally the first thing that came to mind was...

"Hello? Yes, this is D(r)og(baa)."
  13. Dreadmore Augur

Solo a non-undead! :p
  14. Lianeb Augur

Try either with a warrior
  15. Teldiin New Member

so....many....buttons. Is this what most peoples screens look like at max level?
  16. p2aa Augur

Paladins can solo RoS non undead named too. Will take a longer time, but can be done. As long as the paladin has enough mana to restore his HP pool and he kept his DPS disc to use on this named, this should not be a problem.
    As you can see, they can use the DPS stance, 2H proficiency, to tank named, this stance has a big mitigation drawback but it's not a problem for knights as they can refill their HP bar at will.
  17. shiftie Augur

Maxed out Raid geared player kills group mob news at 6

Not diminishing the achievement for the player but this has been happening for how many years?
  18. Wulfhere Augur

Truly, I think it's also a matter of tuning. We're at the low end of player power in RoS, being the first level 110 expansion, so mitigation AC is at its weakest point vs mob ATK.

Penalties like last year's nerf to 2HWP with Combat Stability are less meaningful right now. You're often getting hit for max so might as well break out the DPS. In other words Devs, players will adapt by L2P better or more creatively.

By stacking offensive and defensive abilities, a 2H knight can still mitigate percentage damage while shortening a fight. The drawback here is that lower mitigation AC can reduce active ability/spell time as DMG thresholds are reached faster (if the timers and hit counts don't fade em first). Short fights for the win.

@Allayna, great solo and encouraging to see! Btw you're working harder then you need to. I see you triggered Deflection while in 2HWP stance. Deflection and Shield Flash require a shield be equipped in order to work (and they only work from the front).
  19. Allayna Augur

Ty, must've forgot the swap back before hitting deflect, think I engaged with a sword and board/shield flash though. It isn't often I use deflection anymore and only on raids that I'll pull out the sword/board. There were some oh s*** moments for sure. I was only trying to encourage the OP.

@Dreadmore: It's undead. But has a lot of dmg output. And as was noted by others, was tanked with a 2HS.

[45493] Fink's Diseased Touch
    Target: Single
    Range: 1200'
    Resist: Disease -875, Min Resist Chance: 5%, Max Resist Chance: 10%
    Reflectable: No
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 90s (15 ticks), Dispelable: No
    1: Increase Poison Counter by 45
    2: Decrease Current HP by 88888 per tick
    3: Decrease Movement Speed by 87%

[45495] Malignant Mana
    Resist: Magic -875, Min Resist Chance: 5%, Max Resist Chance: 10%
    1: Decrease Current HP by up to 118170 (15 HP per 1 Target Mana)

[45525] Hemofax
    Resist: Disease -900, Min Resist Chance: 5%, Max Resist Chance: 10%
    Duration: 24s (4 ticks), Dispelable: No
    1: Increase Corruption Counter by 25
    2: Decrease Current HP by 102222 per tick
    3: Decrease AC v2 by 233
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Aye! I think you did an several fronts. :)

Notice too that the debuffs you faced included decent AC v2 hits. Again mitigation doesn't matter that much in the high end game since we're all below the tuning level.