Daybreak and GDPR

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Murrin-AB, May 24, 2018.

1. Vaeeldar Augur

It is far more complicated to implement then people realize. Everything from the syncing of systems and how it's all stored, legacy systems that are built on monolithic applications and just the sheer volume of data collected in multiple areas - it's actually a nightmare for the technologists to implement. I mean if your data is stored across 15 different systems at a company - the implementation of the delete function alone is complex. Especially when you have some systems that are ancient in modern terms. Then there is the actual data privacy agreements....

Simple in terms of summing the focus... sure. Simple in reality, not even close.

I'm not usually big on govt involvement but in this case I agree. Do some research on digital twins and how much data organizations have on you. Do some research on the work Troy Hunt has done in just collecting hack data. Most companies have no clue they have been hacked, in the last 6 months alone he's had to notify big corporations they had been hacked.

Sorry but companies storing insane amount of data just because they can, and one day might find use for it, is not a good thing.

Hacks are so prolific that I have literally had a credit card hacked that had not even been activated by me yet. SO no the storing of large amounts of endless data in the way companies have been doing it is not good for us not at all.
    Feldon likes this.
  2. Quatr Augur

It's a common scenario. A few years ago I was managing an IT project which was driven by new government regulations and requirements. They were actually cleverly written: a gradual rollout, a mix of incentives and disincentives and so on. They were certainly well-meaning and, once implemented, potentially useful. (I say "potentially" because the feedback from end users was "I can see how I could benefit from this information in theory, but the data as currently structured is almost unusable".)

However, the cost to implement them was high. My project alone was well in the seven figures range and there were other concurrent projects addressing other aspects of the new regulations. It wasn't too bad when you could spread the cost across a multi-billion dollar organization, but it was a non-starter for most small business owners. When I talked to some of them, they just shrugged and said that there was no way they could implement the requirements, so they were going to have to live with the penalties for non-compliance, which made them less competitive.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If you have an IT-company and don't really want your users(and/or their acquaintances) to know what the hell you are doing with their data, or give them any choice in the matter. Then maybe you don't deserve that business in the first place.

The only bad thing about GDPR is that they weren't around 20 years ago imho.

The "wild west" era of the internet is ending, deal with it!! :p

Some compromise during a transition phase would be ok though, just to get companies some time to adjust.
    Im not sure how much warning they got?
  4. Riou EQResource

It's been 2 years since they were told :p
  5. Rolaque Ancient

Does DBG have more than 250 employees? GDPR doesn't seem to apply if the company has less than 250 employees according to the Bloomberg video in the OP link.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

A bit shorter than the Y2K-bug-warning, but It should be enough time to react imo...
  7. Vaeeldar Augur

Except the details weren't finalized. It was just coming. Even now there is a lot open to interpretation it's not as blck and white as people think.

The first few fines will help companies figure out where it all falls though.
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

But small companies does not have these (over)complicated IT architectures, and can oversee their BP much easiwr, as well as rely on Cloud solutions that inherently will have the scale to secure compliance on the sysrems side.

I have been in the same corp for 18 years, and most of our IT architecture is permanently outdated. We have accumulated tech debt like there is no tomorrow, which means that there no longer is a thing such as a small change. The enterprise IT mdel is obsoloete.I am attempting to introduce pockets of change, building DEVops(emphasis on dev) that can own the value realization and all tech, end to end, cuttng aeay all enterprise middlemen ncluding suppliers other than basic infrastructure and AWS. Basically trying to learn from startups, and cut away all the corporate waste that exists today. It is hard, the composite of people and technologies that make up corp IT and suppliers are a selfsustaining life form that is very hard to get rid of.
  9. Vaeeldar Augur

Fair point on the small company. Considering we've seen some close or stop business in EMEA all together - I don't think it's quite that simple but your right.

The second point is very interesting. I'm in tech obviously but on the sales side. And it's funny how few of the big corporations are really doing what you are doing even though they should be. Finserve, retail, are the only industries that seem to be completely moving. Then it's one off companies like Dominos, GE, etc... that are modeling themselves after the digital first startup. You think the average lifespan of companies on the S&P 500 being 10-15 years now would tell them something but some organizations haven't gotten it thru their head that they all can be disrupted.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  10. Vaeeldar Augur

Even funnier, looks like the first lawsuits have happened already. Way too early for this.
  11. Angahran Augur

It's already here.
    Any company that deals internationally should have already implemented GDPR.
  12. Vaeeldar Augur

Huge difference between that and it applying to all US citizens which is what I was talking about.
  13. Murrin-AB New Member

According to a quick Linkedin check, 375 registered employees there say they work for Daybreak game company. There might be more, since having a profile there is probably optional.

None the less, after having read a bit more about GDPR I learned that the 250 workers limit is a bit more complicated. It seems that small businesses are only exempt from article 30 of GDPR in some cases. You can read more at: https://www.jordanscorporatelaw.com...bers-of-staff-gdpr-doesn-t-apply-to-me-right-

I hope Daybreak is taking GDPR seriously and working on implementing it. If not, they could get a huge fine and be forced to close down all business with their European customers.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

EQ charges you on your credit card. They aren't selling your info like facebook is.

Beyond the generic they have to add stuff to deal with the rules, I can't see it being a big issue at least for EQ.
  15. Murrin-AB New Member

Update: I just found out Daybreak have some info on this topic on their web pages!

https://www.daybreakgames.com/privacy-shield

Instead of calling it GDPR (European thing) they use the term "Privacy Shield" (US framework: https://www.privacyshield.gov). It was last updated 25th May too, they day GDPR went live!

No wonder I could not find it when searching for “Daybreak and GDPR” on google.. :p
  16. Khat_Nip Meow

We won the war way back when, we can refer to it however we want.
    Sancus and Bobsmith like this.