Daybreak and GDPR

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Murrin-AB, May 24, 2018.

1. Murrin-AB New Member

2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I doubt DBG is storing that much private info anyway. Its not like they are logging all the "cypering" you did 16 years ago, and selling it to third-parties for pennies. :p

I think the only private info they have, are past transactions, creditcard-info, and petitions. I don't think stored characters count as private info?
  3. Brohg Augur

characters are Daybreak property
  4. Elundil New Member

They are storing names and emails, and that means they should comply with GDPR
    Slippry likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, account-info(email/names), are probably the only real issue here. But everquest is from before "big-data" was a "thing", so I doubt their business-model is in violation with GDPR in the first place. Which means the issues might be solvable, unless they are relying on inflexible thirdparty-tools on the subscription-backend. Time will tell...
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have names, emails, addresses, credit cards all of which fall into GDPR not to mention i think they still have servers over seas which would mean they would have to follow it.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If I understand GDPR correctly, it basically means the end-users(thats us :)) have the right to delete all our own data(completely), and have to give explicit permission to DBG for sharing our data with others(their old eula stated they did that with CN, unsure about the new eula). And that DBG are required to inform us about their use of our data.

I haven't checked the account for a delete option, but apart from that I don't think they are violating anything currently, that can't be solved with a simple informative pop-up-message/confirmation-dialog in the accounts-options. Not sure though.

Im not saying they get a free pass, im just saying it might not be a drastical change for them.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Pretty much anyone with information on you should be seeking your permission to hold that information. It is not enough just to tell you everyone needs to resign that it is ok for a company to hold information you.

I've been getting simple emails which just say if you still want to here from us please respond or we wont send you anymore. In a way it is a good way of getting rid of those annoying emails that you get just because you purchased something from someone.

I've signed up for DBG to take money from my account every month for a service they provide to me, so things maybe a little bit more complicated if you are paying for a service. ie Broken contracts if they fail to take payments and not provide the service I've previously signed up for.
  9. moogs Augur

These rights apply only to customers in the European Union.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

Not unless DBG is operating out of EU.

Maybe the AB server is a special case, since it is hosted in EU. There could be some kind of legal entity created in EU to operate it. If this is an issue, they can just migrate AB to the US-server park. (please?)

GDPR is not that hard, not for companies like EQ. If it comes to the US, then a Right to Be Forgotten-implementation, a change to the EULA, and maybe delete old game/chat logs, would be enough, if so, pretty easy to execute.
  11. svann Augur

Read the article but Im not seeing how gdpr would be any different for gaming companies than it is for every other type of business that stores CC information.
  12. moogs Augur

Unfortunately this will never happen until the progressives take over the government, kick out all of the corporate shoe lickers and right the ship. Until then, US legislation is basically drafted by the highest bidder.
    Angahran likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This law applies to any information collected from EU citizens who are in the EU even if it is from a US based company.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes...-affect-your-u-s-based-business/#3eb659076ff2
    Quatr likes this.
  14. Quatr Augur

It looks like quite a few games will no longer be available in the EU, including the following WarpPortal games:

• Ragnarok Online
    • Ragnarok Online 2: Legend of the Second
    • Metal Assault
    • Dragon Saga
    • Requiem: Rise of the Reaver
    • Rose Online
    • Record of Lodoss War
    • Ragnarok: Restart
    I would expect that any changes to AB would have been announced well ahead of May 25, but you never know.
  15. smash Augur

Bad news for you, if you got a compagny, and stores personal data, and you located on Norrath, and you dont handle those data safely. Then you can get a fine of 4% of your turnover or 20 mil Euro.

Think of what could happen to mega Corporations,

It is all European Citizens, but also for Corporations that has a location somewhere in Europe, and they store personal data on Americans, then those would also come under GDPR, which is why Facebook moved a lot of data regarding people from outside EU from Ireland back to USA, to avoid for those people.
  16. Derd Augur

Finding a way to lose jobs and move companies out of your country that's the European Union way :)
  17. Millianna Augur

It’s about time consumer protection laws catch up to online commerce...
  18. Vaeeldar Augur

Something like GDPR is actually a good thing. The implementation of it and the final rules have not gone well though - i.e. it should of ramped up in stages over time to give more companies to comply even the biggest in the world have struggled to comply in time.

Second it truly is giving an advantage to large corporations. For example people are just talking about the tech side - GDPR has had massive impact just on legal and the creation of Data Privacy Agreements anytime you do business with other corporations. There's so much to GDPR that fortune 500 companies literally have had teams of legal/security folks for just GDPR - one call earlier this week had a fortune 50 company with 12 folks on the phone and we are talking a sub 7 figure contract. A small business if they are lucky might have one person who does legal + deal with GDPR.

GDPR has the potential to put a lot of small business in Europe out of business. And god help the first small business in North America or else where that gets fined because they had no idea about the details of GDPR.

Anyway good concept, poor implementation but that is true of all govts everywhere. And I wouldn't be surprised if we see a version in the states at some point - Marc Benioff (salesforce CEO) was interviewed recently stating how we needed something like this. IT will come to the US It's a question of timing.
    Quatr likes this.
  19. Angahran Augur

GDPR is not complicated. There are basically 2 things companies have to provide.
    1. The option to provide a customer with all data stored about them.
    2. The option for a customer to request all data be removed.
  20. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Too true. Relying on the government to keep your data safe through legislation is a fail for everyone.