pet gear weirdness

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by moogs, May 15, 2018.

1. moogs Augur

A level 25 pet is able to visibly equip up to max level summoned pet gear. The pet accepts it and upgrades new equipment as expected. In battle testing, there appears to be no actual benefit provided by the weapons or armor, though.

Are they supposed to accept and equip such high level gear in the first place?

Does the pet at such a low level receive a benefit at all? If so, is it scaled down so much as to have no effect?

Is this a bug? I spent 15 minutes trying pet gear from level 60, 70, 80...my mind was blown while I was trying to figure out what the pet would actually equip. I don't recall pets being able to use these items at all. Most of the summoned items have level requirements but low level pets do not reject them.
  2. Captain Video Augur

Did you check to see if your pet was running a trader in the pet bazaar?
    moogs likes this.
  3. Boze TLP complaint factory

They won't reject them, they'll just eat them and not use it if they're below level req for weapons. Rec. level matters for procs as well.
  4. moogs Augur

I started with low level daggers and continued to upgrade with the mage summoned swords. The items are not eaten. They are visibly equipped, replacing the lower level items. If you try to then equip the lower level items again, they will be rejected.
  5. mmats Augur

Perhaps pets will accept gear that they dont meet the req level of, but stats wont actually apply. I remember weapons wouldnt proc unless a pet met the req level.
  6. moogs Augur

Right. The level requirement for the weapon procs still works as intended. But the items themselves sometimes have level requirements, and those are not being respected. I'd like to know what is going on, because I'm pretty sure that it's not intentional.
  7. niente Developer

Nice catch.

When pets equip a piece of armor they examine the item's total stats value (heavily weighted by AC). They don't care about the required/recommended level. For weapons they look at base damage. They use fists to compare if they don't have a weapon equipped.

Once they're wearing the high level armor, they get 0 stats from the item since they don't meet the level requirements.

Edit: In the upcoming patch your pet will give you some more information about what it actually equips or not. :)
    Sumonerr_Tunare, Quatr, Gana and 7 others like this.
  8. Boze TLP complaint factory

You're such a tease. I must know more!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

Ohhhh.

Lowering expectations for self: probably just a text message that says whether it accepts it. *takes a cold shower*
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sancus like this.
  10. Numzan Augur

AH cool a pet inventory?? cant wait.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Old timer New Member

I summon and equip my level 106+ mage pets with summoned focus items. It only accepts 4 of the 8 items you summon in the focus bag, so I assume they actually equip it. I was told that they accept and wear these items and get the benefit of the stats on them (which can be significant). Would be interesting to get this confirmed if possible (and the upcoming patch change might or might not do that)
  12. Numiko Augur

Wish we had a Pet tab similar to the Merc one so this stuff would be clearly displayed and eliminate the guesswork.
  13. moogs Augur

14. Bumkus Elder

From patch notes:
    Fixed all cases where player pets had higher hand to hand skills than weapon skills. This was causing many pets to lose accuracy when they were given weapons.

I hate to ask, but to fix this situation, did you just reduce the pet's hand to hand skill?
  15. Boze TLP complaint factory

I have parses from before and after. H2H was untouched and the other skills now match it, so it's a true fix.
    Quatr, Gyurika Godofwar and moogs like this.
  16. Bumkus Elder

thanks Boze
  17. Outlander Engine Elder

And this is exactly what we got.

/sad trombone

/rant on
    While I respect that sometimes the answer to a request is "No, for game play reasons", the request for a pet inventory / stats tab has been essentially ignored since the game came out. The amount of work players have had to do just to troubleshoot pet issues should put this near the top of the list. It's like the addition of the "go home" button on the character select screen... A no brainer that helps the community.

/rant off
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  18. moogs Augur

The request has not been ignored. As you can see, it has been copied from the community JIRA tracker to an internal ticket.
  19. Boze TLP complaint factory

I imagine a pet inventory window would be an absurd amount of work, and probably would mean a huge overhaul of how pets work in the first place.
  20. moogs Augur

Rather than a conspiracy against pet classes, I suspect that the delay is caused by the fact that pets have their own code which dictates which pieces of gear are accepted and rejected. So it wouldn't be quite as simple as just allowing players to equip gear with a click and drop system like the player inventory is set up, although that is definitely the end goal. This is something that could be done in a couple of weeks once someone takes the time to sit down and look at it, but they may not have the project resources budgeted to allow for it.