Monk Alliance question

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Hickers, May 9, 2018.

1. Hickers Elder

Just a quick question regarding the Monk Alliance, as from browsing around I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

For example, in a raid setting, another Monk has cast Alliance, and the debuff is on the mob, counting down its 18 second timer. If I were to cast my Alliance during those 18 seconds, does it overwrite theirs, or does it simply fail/not stick?
  2. Monkman Augur

Ideally you want three monks, with two you can proc it if one monk is running speed focus but it’s not dependable. Monk 1 casts it, when it fires, monk 2 casts, when theirs fires monk 3 casts... the only time it will override another is if all three monks don’t have rank3. We have a gina trigger to tell us when it fulminates. What I’ve noticed from having a misfire is that 90% of the time the first person that cast will get a fulminations but the person that clicked theirs ~5seconds after on top of the other will not get one because the procs were counting for the first one.
  3. Hickers Elder

I appreciate the info, and perhaps I’m being a little dense, but that has still left me confused. The first part of your post tallies with what I understand, that you can only have 1 Alliance debuff on a mob at any one time. But then towards the end when you say ‘on top of’ it makes it sound like 2 debuff can be active.

Let’s assume in my original question, we both have rank 3 Alliance. Will mine overwrite, or will it fail?
  4. Hickers Elder

I’m mainly wondering, on a raid where there are several monks (3 or 4 say), could one monk be selfish and keep casting their Alliance whenever they like, overwriting other monks spells.
  5. Monkman Augur

They could, but if another monk already had the debuff up first, monk 1 will get the fulmination. Alliances really don’t work well if you have people being selfish because you’re screwing up the rotation and losing opportunities to fulminate.
  6. Monkman Augur

With Gina it’s very easy to see how this works, we have a timer bar that counts down until it procs or fades... so it’s easy to see when two monks hit alliance within a few seconds of each other. So to answer your question they can stack but you would need 5-6 monks in order to proc them both, 99% of the time only the first alliance cast will proc, the second almost always fades
  7. Monkman Augur

If you’re not using Gina there’s an alternative method which is not as efficient but still works..

In your monk channel...

/tell monkchannel Soandso has clicked alliance
    /tell monkchannel Soandso2 is next!

If you have time stamps on your chat channels just wait 18s then the next monk can click..

Again it’s not as efficient because often times alliance can proc well before the 18 second mark but at least you know you’re not going to click to early
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. DaciksBB Augur

isn't that what audio triggers are for?
  9. Monkman Augur

I don’t play with sound on at least not eq sound.. typically teamspeak / music... my recommendation was for the OP who from what it sounds like doesn’t have Gina running
  10. Cicelee Augur

To my understanding, if monk 1 casts alliance and monk 2 casts theirs 3 seconds later before the original one culminates, then monk 2 alliance bounces off and does not work.

At least I know this is true for magicians and other classes...
  11. Symbius Augur

It will, quite often, break the original Alliance cast as well, which translates into nobody getting a fulmination.

Since the Monk one is completely proc based and the Monks cannot ever control when it fires, it's imperative that your Monks work out a rotation and stick to it. Wasting alliance fulminations because of stupidity is a sure fire way to be buried on the parse.

With looking at how many of the other alliances work, it would make much more sense to have it fire after X number of Flying Kicks land on the target, which would make it completely controllable by the Monk, instead of that proc nonsense.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Hickers Elder

So if 2 monks do overlap their Alliances, would you see 2 debuff symbols on the mob? Last Prince raid I was watching his buff box, pretty sure I only ever saw 1 monk alliance symbol at any given time, but given my audio triggers, people were definitely overlapping.