Phinigel: TSS Exp Boost Question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Barudin_Phinigel, May 1, 2018.

1. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Since TSS is the last exp boost for progression servers, will this make Phinny the same as live exp or will we always be perpetually lower?

Source:
  2. Machentoo Augur

Phinny will always be slower than live.
  3. Kahna Augur

Wow, when did DBG hire you Machentoo? I didn't think they were hiring right now.

You have no idea if it will always be slower or not. Devs have never stated it will always be slower, same as they have never stated it will get to live levels. It may, it may not. The TSS boost may bring it to live levels, they may do another boost later. Point is, you don't know, none of us do. You are speculating at best. I'm not against a little educated speculating, but you have nothing to go on here other than random guessing.
  4. Machentoo Augur

They have actually stated it will always be slower. I'm not going to dig the post up, feel free to use search, but they stated unequivocally that Phinny will always have slower xp than live.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Machentoo likes this.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

The word 'always' is quite powerful! And the linked post certainly doesn't say always. Just that it will continue to have slower xp (for how long, who knows). That said I'd trust Machen's prediction more than most any other!
  7. Kahna Augur

Meh, that comment could easily just be comparing Phinny to the other TLPs. It is a stretch to say it will never reach live levels due to a comment specifically directed at the GoD exp bump. Especially when you consider that, as of right now, Phinny and RF/LJ currently have the same exp rates. So that comment doesn't even hold true now, let alone after the TSS bump.
  8. Machentoo Augur

Context matters. Scroll up in the thread, and you'll see he was answering the question, "Will Phinigel ever catch up to live xp rate?"

You can't separate out the two parts of his statement. Phinigel will continue to have slower exp than other servers, even while receiving all the same boosts that other servers receive.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

It's also not like Phinny is still slow. It's SLOWER, sure, but I honestly can barely tell the difference in exp rate now compared to what I can remember back when I did this live 10+ years ago. The rate at which you can clear/grind content with the dps increases seems to more than make up the difference.
  10. Kahna Augur

He's not, actually. If he was he would have quoted your post, instead he quoted someone else's post and you are assuming he was answering you. No reason to assume his statement was referring to anything other than the GoD boost. They don't, often, make statements projecting the exp rates of a server out several years in advance. We are all still guessing until they answer definitively, yes or no, Phinny will reach live rates. Or we wait till TSS comes out in a few weeks, the theoretical last exp bump, and we can test it against live rates.
  11. Ryak Augur

There is a point where it becomes silly for Phinny to have slower than live exp. You could argue exactly when that point is, but eventually the server will be caught up and BE a live server. Will it still have slower "classic" exp when it is not even a progression server anymore? o_O
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

From a development perspective, I would think that a few things are likely:

#1 The base exp rate of a server is set per server.

#2 The exp increase amounts for expansions are fixed values and not set per server.

This is based on how era locks work, and the variance in exp rates for progression servers. With that said, and if this is true, the base exp rate of the server determines where it will end up. That means that if the TSS boost doesn't bring Phinny to the Live exp rate, then it likely never will be at that rate.

The potential hole in this logic is that the Live servers all started at way worse exp rates than Phinny did. Without knowing how all that got revamped over the years, I can't say if that breaks the assumptions I made above. But that unknown only matters until TSS launches, as then we will be able to determine it for ourselves.

TSS has been stated by a dev as the last exp increase, so for Phinny to increase past that it would take a change in DBG's plans. So really, anything could happen. But my money would be on Phinny at TSS being slower than Live, if I were a gambling sort of person.
  13. Ngreth Thergn Developer

At TSS, slow experience servers become "Normal" Server experience. I.E. the server-wide base multiplier is set to 1.

This is true for all progression servers at this time. (No telling for sure what we will do in the future! What crazy things players want or we decide to do)

Of course, plans can change. But the full "normal" experience is curently what is in the script.
    Punchu and Boze like this.
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

So at TSS it's not a rate boost based on a percentage, but a change of the base server modifier to match a "Normal" server which I assume means a Live server?
  15. Trevalon Augur

All EXP rates are based on a percentage of "normal" EXP. So on Phinny at Launch the EXP may have been .3 X 1 or 30% of the EXP, then when GoD hit it was .6 X 1 or 60% and now at TSS it will just be 1 X 1 or 1 aka Live/Normal Experience.

So I guess Bobby and Machen were wrong! :)
  16. Zanarnar Augur

Thanks Ngreth. Its always nice to have a peek behind the curtain.. so to speak ;)
  17. Derd Augur

Mach, definitely wrong. Bobby read the dev post and while I can see how he took it that way, it doesn't in my mind read as an absolute.

And yes normal is live servers, tlp is in no way normal... lol
  18. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Thank you Ngreth.
  19. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Definitely not how I took Mepps' comment last year but a welcome surprise, anything that makes it easier for new people to join Phinigel is great.
    MaxTheLion likes this.
  20. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I've never done 70 to 75. With live xp, and various pots, what is the expected time to cap? 8 hours in a hard grind?