A Formal Dinner Party is broken

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Funkymusik, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

IF you collect 2 clues and know who the murderer is, find the food from in the room of the muderer and therefore know all the information.
    Can you hand in the correct food, 2 clues followed by 2 wrong food and still finish the quest with the reward?

Or does it have to be all 4 clue drops?
  2. Thunderkiks Augur

It's actually 5 turn ins, 4 drops and the correct food from either the table or the room. If you turn in the wrong food you won't get the aug, is my understanding. I don't have experience doing the mission the wrong way.
  3. Zhaunil_AB Augur

You have to deliver the 4dropped clues afaik.
    That is the step back imo, that we "pay" for how easy this is now.
    Even if the first thing you get is single-Class only, you still have to get the other 3, in order to get the prompts for class+room.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

No you still have to turn in all 4 class items. If you turn in any wrong food items you wont get the reward. You can only turn in ONE food item. Otherwise someone in theory could just zone in and grab a random item from the table, turn it in, if they guessed correctly they could bypass the whole quest and they are done basically. Yeah not great odds but if you did this with half a dozen toons in separate missions at the same time it would probably result in a quick lucky guess. Everyone could drop their task and join the person who got the correct guess and you are done in minutes like the old exploit which is what they don't want people doing.
  5. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Ah. That's the Paladin fix I mentioned I'd already done :)
    Clue was absolutely the inspiration, even if we couldn't exactly match Clue.
    Yeah. Like that.

Yes. All 4 are required, even if you get the berserker where only one item is required to solve it if you get that one item first.

The basics of it are the scripting is already massively complex. The "random" nature means that scripting it to be able to take 1-4 clues + food would add another level of complexity and difficulty in the scripts. While I can think of ways to do it, in the end, it comes down to time. I was already late with the completion, as the bugs it had show, and I did not have the time to add that complexity.

On a secondary consideration, keeping it at 4+food adds a consistency to the execution that is good from a design side, even with the randomness of the setup. There is already randomness in the difficulty. Getting the library means you have a harder task than say getting the bedrooms. Adding an additional level of random difference in difficulty is not great.

Also, consider it like a court case where even if there is one conclusive point of evidence, MORE evidence is good. M wants all 4 pieces of evidence.
  6. EnchFWO Augur

So demanding for Melion just being a minor functionary! :p
    Prathun likes this.
  7. Stephen51 Augur

I've done this mission 4 times over 4 nights, 3 of the 4 went fine, but tonight's we only had 3 of 4 drops. All mobs dead, nothing on track, all 4 weapon racks in the study destroyed.

So either there is still a chance a drop cannot drop, or I am wondering whether maybe we killed a shadow man that died and fell into a wall and by the time the fight was finished (in fights of 2 and 3, the corpse of the first mob often rots before the last mob dies) we thought the corpse had gone.
  8. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I feel like we're beating a dead horse by now, but I'm interested in the way you phrased this. It implies that if the library is the room that the murder took place in, then the library is where you expect to find the dropped clues. This is not the way the mission currently works. The clues can be found on any mob in any room, regardless of where the murder took place.

Not sure if I misinterpreted your statement or if design intent is still not matching mission implementation.
  9. Ghubuk Augur

I think he is saying that clearing some rooms are harder than others. So if one of the clues is in a harder to clear room, then the mission is harder.
  10. smash Augur

Imo, you misunderstood, i just think Ngreth meant that library is harder in general for the splitting part. So best is to wait with lib til you done the other rooms and have to do lib for final clue.
  11. segap Augur

I took "getting the library" to mean as a room a clue drops in. It could also mean as the room the food is found in assuming that people don't have other means of exploring populated rooms other than by clearing.

The level of difficulty on this really comes down to your tank. With a strong tank (even group geared), haphazard pulls of 8 aren't a problem as things don't hit all that hard. It's taking your time to split out singles/twos which can make this take a long time. Especially since some pulling methods are harder without line of sight of all mobs that might aggro or without more space to fd/fade in some spots. Once again, I think that "time spent" is being equated with "difficulty". And even Ngreth is making that mistake.
  12. svann Augur

Try using advanced loot. It really is a fine addition to eq.
  13. Daedly Augur

Can you add the berry paste turn in NPC to the hidden room in the library hotfix?

I really dont want to run all the to the original zone. Please and thank you.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. smash Augur

Why use the paste, and not put aug directly into chest
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The explanations by others I included is what I meant. If one of the 4 dropped clues is in the library, the mission is harder than if the library is not one of the locations. The bedroom is an example of a relatively easy. Sure there is a probably 3 pull, but you guys seem ready to handle it. Of yourse, you can get both rooms, since there are 4 dropped clues and 7 rooms.
    Depending on the difficulty of sneaking around in the libraray, having the food item in the library is no more difficult than other room since it is a ground spawn.

With 4 drop rooms. The difficulty evens out SOME but luck CAN give you the four hardest rooms for your group build, or it could give you the easier 4 rooms for your group build. And easy will depend on group build.

I'm basing difficulty here on player comments in these threads. From these player comments, It sounds like the most difficult room is the Library, but that careful play can reduce the difficulty.

Tradition. The anniversary quests give "Bonus Loot" as an item and it's up to player to figure what to do with that item to get the "real" bonus.

While I *can* I won't. It's also part of the tradition of these tasks. Even if it is a relatively trivial extra effort, we want you to make that extra effort.
  16. Sissruukk Rogue One

Because then you will deprive some batling of his dessert.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I know. People are so greedy! Poor bats. Leaving them to starve because you're busy!
  18. smash Augur

You should have let the bat fly away and during the flight it should have dropped a dough as a gs, and people would have to pick it, however they would risk other people getting to it first. In the dough is the aug.

THAT would be evilness.
  19. Zarzac Augur

Be happy that the bat doesn't take the paste and leave guano behind which then must go through 13 tradeskill combines to "clean" in order to get the aug.
    Ngreth Thergn likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I hate this mission *sighs* down to the last three rooms only one drop so far. I really really hope the next three have drops. :)