Necromancer Epic

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ilyanir, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Ilyanir New Member

Are the developers ever going to address Necromancer's epic? We're the only class in the game that I know of that is still stuck using our Epic while playing for the DoT crits. There should be a way for us to convert the Epic into an special augment slot for Necromancer's that would fit into any of the new weapons, etc. in the primary slot within the game. It's ridiculous that every other class can use all the new drops of weapons without sacrificing their DPS. Any chance of this ever happening?
  2. moogs Augur

You have the option of not using your epic at all. For druids and other classes, our epic 2.0 doesn't do anything at all at max level.
  3. strongbus Augur

as a necro as much as I hate to say it is the epic even doing much anymore.

grouping mobs die so fast we barley do any damage at all so that 18% is not helping much.

raiding depending on the raid make up well during burns your over 100% in one way another with other adps. and for the rest of the raid its going depend on who doing what. for example my guild runs between 8-12 rangers on raids. They have Auspice of the Hunter going all most non stop witch even without epic put me at 95% crit chance

solo/moloing is the only area that it really help during non burn points.

I have wondered many times if I could get more dps on raids with some newer weapon with a big dd proc on it under burns or such.

I mean the ros ts weapons have 9k dd for each time you cast a spell. The raid ones are 11k. I have though bout doing some long pars and see what the difference is under full burn using a weap with a proc on it insteed of the epic.
    Kaenneth and Boze like this.
  4. segap Augur

You're not really missing much by not upgrading that slot. Heroics, spell damage and a couple points of mana/hp regen really don't do much for casters. You're losing some HP/Mana, but in the grand scheme, missing one slot's worth doesn't break the class. You do have one less slot per expansion to worry about upgrading though.

Of all the things to complain about, I don't see this as really being all that big of a deal.
  5. Raltar Augur

I think it would be pretty awesome to have an item that is best in slot forever.
    Spellfire and Andarriel like this.
  6. fransisco Augur

How should they?
    At once time, devs were seriously looking into addressing it, but the necro community freaked out like no tomorrow. So they quietly walked away and have never looked back.
    And granting all the bonuses of the weapon so you can just equip another has never been an option.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Best guess if and when they finish the Dot consolidation they'll nerf the epic. That's basically their window of opportunity to address the issue once and for all.
  8. Kolani Augur

They've made attempts to address it in the past. Necromancer responses and solutions were for the most part unreasonable. No compromise was possible, the devs moved on. Anyone remember when the Necromancers wanted the epic focus to be put on the An Epic Request aug, but only for them and NO OTHER CLASS?
  9. strongbus Augur

i have always said to remove it form the epic and put it on our hands. as for most exp there was no focus on the necro hands
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Which is not an acceptable solution to the devs.

The Dev position is that Necromancers shouldn't be getting the benefit past L75-ish.

The Necro position is that they want the bonus forever.

These are diametrically opposite positions.

There is no simple compromise possible. The best way to do it is nerf it at the same time they rebalance the class with the dot consolidation.
    fransisco, Yinla and Bigstomp like this.
  11. strongbus Augur

giving that they don't want us to have it have always wonder what just stop them at any time putting a level cap at some new level increase exp and just doing the new spells without it
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That doesn't fix the problem for Necromancers on TLPs which will have the benefit for 15 expansions worth of content.
  13. Sancus Augur

A big part of the issue is that there are pretty severe balance implications when transferring power from passive crit chance to base damage. One scales quite a bit better with burns than the other, which is a bit problematic for a class that's focused primarily on sustained DPS. Especially considering how well DoTs in general scale with crits because foci crit.

I think the smart solution for the devs would be to make it passive (via AAs or gear or whatever) to avoid that balance headache. There are other ways to solve it, but it doesn't really feel like it needs to be solved in the first place.

The devs do what the devs want though.
  14. Sancus Augur

Also wut
  15. strongbus Augur

small family style raiding guild(we just getting into ros t1.) and not much for raiders on the server(only 3 raiding guild total) so we take what we can get for dps.
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Which is why they have a unique opportunity now. The DoT consolidation changes amount to a full rebalancing of the class for Necros. It is the perfect time to make adjustments.

How *well* they do that is debatable.
  17. Foliax Journeyman

What is so terrible about just making it an AA earned from doing the questline / turning in the epic and aug to an NPC like the DoN Dark Reign AA works (based on quest progression)? Remove the effect from the epic and aug, and give the same abilities to the AA. Maybe someone can point out what I'm being so blind about because I can't see a downside to this, unless there's some esoteric code that is checking what mainhander is equipped for focus effects and the epic crit chance is hard coded from that.
  18. strongbus Augur

its cause they have to do the same to all the players epics. the dervs though we get ride of it after a few exp for better stats. They don't want us to even have the effect at all or they just give it to us via aa or as a standard focus on some other slot.
  19. Siddar Augur

The devs decided they want to cap necro epic at level 75 when level 85 was already in game. There was rather predictable out cry by necromancers over this. It ended up with the promise that necromancers would be compensated for the removal of epic focus. Because it had been factored in when determining the level of necromancer DPS for 15 levels then and 40 level now.

Both necromancers and dev's both hate and love necro epic for various reasons. Necro's like that it is the most powerful primary item in game and hate the lack of stat as compared to ther available primaries. Dev's hate that it doesn't become obsolete like all other primaries and that necromancer are always complaining about the lack of stats compared to others. They love the necromancer epic for it effects on the necromancer classes DPS though some may not have been aware of it. It does exactly what Dev's have said they want the necromancer to do DPS wise.

The necromancer epic modify's necro DPS in that it boost sustained DPS while not adding to necromancer burst DPS on raids. That is the thing that dev's have to figure out and why the idea of capping epic at level 75 has been around for such along time and not been implemented.

The idea that dev's have wanted to level cap necromancer epic and have just been afraid to make that call. Ignores the promise made to necromancer that the change would be compensated for. It also ignores beneficial effects of necromancer epic on the nature of necromancer DPS from the dev's perspective.

They will probably use DoT changes to necromancer class to slip the nerf to necromancer epic in that we agree upon. If not then I doubt there will be change ever to necromancer epic and it will mean dev's have reconciled toit never being nerfed. They will have learned to love necromancer epic.
  20. Foliax Journeyman

Is everyone blind to the fact that SKs and Shamans use their 2.0 epics at 110? That it's part of their rotations? Especially the people saying that devs wanted all 2.0s to stop working at level 75? Where are these crazy pills so I can take them too?! I mean jesus, we're still clicking Blightbrinfer's Tunic of the Grave every 5 minutes.