Progression Server Spell Guide site coming down for move.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xanadas, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Xanadas Augur

The site at destef.dyndns.org/spells/ is coming down for awhile. I sold my house I'm moving to South Carolina.

Probably down a month or more. Please don't ask me about hosting a mirror, thanks.
    snailish likes this.
  2. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Thanks for the heads up. That site is a godsend for spell hunting.
  3. Brunnt ForceTrauma Lorekeeper

o_O

That's... an.... interesting approach.
  4. snailish Augur

I'm a fan of Xanadas work.

Enjoy your move, hope it is a good one. Look forward to seeing your site return.
  5. HappyPanda Augur

I figure 6 weeks is a good time to check in.
    How is the move going? Getting things fired back up soon?
  6. Adonhiram Augur

Thanks for the effort you did for the TLP community and have a nice, peaceful move !
  7. Gerhart Journeyman

Bless this human being.
  8. Poledo_EQ Elder

I've been dying without this.
  9. Brunnt ForceTrauma Lorekeeper

Someone needs to replicate this. OP is a jerk for not just passing along the data.
  10. Vanrau Augur

He's not a jerk. He was running the site from his home PC which means his ISP opened up port 80 to his web server. I don't know of many ISP's that allow this without buying into a business package so he probably can't afford the business package right now on his new ISP.

To the OP, you can host your website for free on amazon aws ec2 free tier. You have to set up mysql and apache/nginx however as your basically root on a VM. Let me know if you need help with that, I run two sites on amazon.
    Krezzy likes this.
  11. Krezzy Augur

It was great while it was available. Nobody is entitled to someone else's work on a free site.
  12. Brunnt ForceTrauma Lorekeeper

"Probably down a month or more. Please don't ask me about hosting a mirror, thanks."

^ The height of vanity. No reason this should not be mirrored. Are we entitled to it? No but having to replicate this work is a waste of time.
  13. Brunnt ForceTrauma Lorekeeper

Plenty of people offered to mirror it.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Pot, meet kettle.
  15. Brunnt ForceTrauma Lorekeeper

You say that like it is news to me...
  16. Krezzy Augur

Here's the apparent situation.
    1) Create a useful site.
    2) Refuse offers to mirror the site when you take it down so that you retain control of your creation.
    3) Change your mind(?)
    4) Strangers around the world rage on the internet and make personal attacks.
    5) Other strangers chime in, helping the matter in no way whatsoever.

There's gotta be something better for us all to be doing.
    Poledo_EQ likes this.
  17. -HT- New Member

Try this one instead: http://www.eqstats.net/Spells.aspx

It doesn't list the cities but it does allow you to limit search results to only vendor-sold ones, and once you have that list you can use allakhazam to look up what cities.
  18. Guzzle Augur

Opening port 80 is not at all required to host a website from your home, or any location. There are many technical ways around that.
  19. HappyPanda Augur

It was running via dyndns.org as well, it was likely already using those methods.
    Guzzle likes this.
  20. Vanrau Augur

You can run a proxy or go through a dns service, yes. I haven't had great experience using those those so they are unreliable.