Future Content - Thoughts & Discussion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Niskin, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Lazy introduction?
    I've been there when the trolls lost their hometown and had to seek refuge in Neriak...
    i do not recall it as a "lazy introduction" but a rather elaborate one, but ofc time can blur memories...

And no there isn't anything to them, even what meets the eye is more pretense than presence.
    Frogs are bad and belong in a soup or something but not in an adventuring party!
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Trolls vs. Frogs!
  3. Zhaunil_AB Augur

If kitties took to the one moon, who took to the other?
    That's right - dogs! :)
    Scrap the frogs and replace them with a dog-based race...
    Then the rest of us races at least have a decent choice between pets!
    :)
  4. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

There is so much in luclin. After playing through it on TLP I would love to see it expanded.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

An aspect of this idea is that if this isadopted as an overall strategy, zone scalability will continue to “regrow” the world, and each scalable zone will have replay value each time a level increase is added. It will have the effect that level increase grow the number of zones that are attractive to play in, instead of shrinking them, because old drops need to be upgraded.

It should be introduced incrementally, adding a few zones to begin with, to learn from it, with some iconic zones as lighthouses.

I would suggest that when zoning in to a “scaling zone”, one simply choose which level interval one wish to play, and one is then entered into that interval. Progression quests from earlier expansions only work at the level range of the current max level range, plus the previous level range. So EoK and TBM progression quests would for example be fully availabe at lvl 105 bracket and 110 bracket, while RoS would only be available in the 110. But SoD progression would also be lvl 105, because it would enable revamped SoD stuff. (Quests could function, except for the progression flags).

Of course this is just brainstorming... but expanding level scalability of zones to encompas item scalability really opens up a lot of opossibilities.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

1) There is absolutely no reason why they should spend 1 minute of time making content for level 1.

2) You don't seem to understand how scalable HA's work. It's not a magic cure all. They still have to create mechanics, tune NPC difficulty, create loot tables, create spells, etc. all of which takes time to do. Time that is better spent elsewhere.

3) New starting cities, new race/class combos all take time and resources to do for virtually zero benefit.

4) CR already exists for the purpose of a guided progression through the lower levels. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to make a new version somewhere else and a dozen reasons why they shouldn't.

5) No one cares about Vah Shir.
    Zadune and Metanis like this.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

What I was proposing was to develop scaleability in code, effectively moving a lot of tradictional design decisions to code. This would cost a lot more for the first zone, but would payback when starting to expand. An example given was the level scaling item above, but it could also be to develop level scaling spells.

Iterative automation, continously driving down cost of transferring a zone from old to scalable... this is the overall idea.
  8. bigpapa Augur

need to return to have tier ONE to be an easy zone for casuals , ect. having dps check tasks like fell foliage in tier one is not healthy for the game imo.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I would bet $$ the next expansion will be a re-envisioning on Velious. Placing new zone overlays over existing old zones has to make things a hell of a lot easier to make content in these times. The trends of the last few expansions will continue for better or worse.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Triconix Augur

I would like PoP 2.0, personally.
    Daedly likes this.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Wow, that was a great breakdown of the lore of all the expansions! Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, or maybe I left and came back too much, but I knew basically none of it. Seeing the different arcs gives some insight into how they have planned things in the past. I had no idea House of Thule was part of the VoA/RoF arc.

Given that info, I think it's a complete toss-up as to whether we get a 3rd Combine Empire Kunark Arc Expansion, or the start of something new. I guess technically we could get a continuation of a previous arc or at least something based on one, there's just no way to know.

I have to admit that going back and doing old progression quests will be more exciting now that I have more of an idea of how it all connects. I'll be more likely to follow the arc. I've done some HoT progression and some VoA, but I feel like I need to go back and finish them starting with HoT through RoF and do the same with any others that are connected.
  12. CrazyLarth Augur

would love to see future group missions to have two ways to do the mission.
    1. Monster mission- current level toons who are under-geared can play toons that will allow them a chance to a win and get gear up using it.
    2. normal better geared peeps can do it in their gear using the upgrades they won. same chest loot as monster for the char level.
  13. kizant Augur

I'd like for a meteor to strike Luclin and knock it into the sun. The main consequence being that nobody may create another Vah Shir. Even if most Norrath is destroyed in the process, it would be worth it.
    Daedly likes this.
  14. Beimeith Lord of the Game

If you are interested in lore a good place to start might be here:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ths-lore-guide-1-the-history-of-norrath.2959/

This gives a breakdown of events prior to the "start" of Classic EQ in rough chronological order. I never finished it, (I was going to include a full accounting of what happens during each expansion), and it doesn't include lore from anything after 2013 (CotF+) either.
    Niskin likes this.
  15. Gnomereaper Augur

Ak Anon had it's upgrade done years ago.