Why not a live server merge?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by RandyLahey, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Yimin Augur

Yes two or three guilds doing good until the expac is beat even then that just 150 people so thats not good at all , and thats all at peek times then after they all go to bed almost ever single server is DEAD ...

YiMin
  2. Beggly Augur

Not overly fond of a server merge myself.

What I would not mind seeing is a reduction in the cost of a server transfer, such that is was possible to transfer quite a few characters to new servers. Maybe even a free to transfer server. Vox seems to be a server they want to push. Give free transfers to that. I would certainly take advantage, clear out a few servers I play on very seldom. I would even play on Vox more often if that were to happen. I'd have more reason to play there.

Just a thought.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

They're dead because the expansion has been beaten for months. People aren't all rushing through. Some are working on tradeskills, some are picking at odds and ends they missed in old content. New stuff has been beaten.
    (By months I mean not a ton of months, but it's getting to be older content)
  4. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

No thanks to a server merge.
  5. InnerDruid New Member

E Marr is a ghost town but we still have friends we want to stay with. Put us someplace where it will be possible to field two or three 54 man raids with hardened raiders during primetime.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  6. xcitng Augur

i agree
  7. InnerDruid New Member

Says someone in Township Rebellion. A guild that can probably attract all the players it needs, even across servers. I've seen many folks leave server to try and join one of the few guilds with that kind of notoriety. Doubtless you won't want or need a server merge until even guilds like FoH and Triton are having problems finding enough players that are actually raiders (as opposed to players who go on raids). The game is not getting any new players and the supply is going down constantly.
    Zhaunil_AB and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

So far the main argument against a server merge seems to be that people don't want to have to compete with other people in zones for spots or be bothered by other people in a zone. Granted I box but this is an MMO. It seems some people would be happier with a single player EQ.

And while I agree I wouldn't want to have hyper competiton for camp spots I think proper management of pickzones and perhaps introducing them to more zones could alleviate this concern.

Yeah my server has 400 toons in general chat a lot... take out all the boxes and it's likely much much lower.

I think a larger player base per server would be better for the game as long as it lets people have the space they need to play. As I have mentioned many times before we are getting to be an older more set in our ways group of players as we all age. Any merge IF it happened should ensure it rocks the boat as little as possible. And.... YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!! :)
  9. Intenso Augur

mega sever one server and zone spawns instances = sorted
  10. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

While server merges might be beneficial in some ways, I keep coming back to the nightmare of duplicate name resolution. These servers are old, most have been merged multiple times before. Trying to squeeze all those already merged names together could result in a mess. I think it could potentially upset some people, but maybe not enough to matter. It's hard to say.
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

What issues do you speak of?
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah the name issue could be a big one. In a perfect world, least as far as achieving a merge, I would run a sweep in advance and send out rename triggers to those affected. Doesn't actually help with some people having to change their names or end up with X's at the end. All it would do would be back the merger easier. Would still be tons of inactive toons that needed to be fixed.
  13. xcitng Augur

there have been far to many problems involved in a server merge ... also, db would need to make most of the live servers hella better than the ones we have now to do a lot of pickzones in them ... imo a server merge would only cause more ppl to leave eq due to the problems it would create
  14. jeskola pheerie

In October, they tested a new merge methodology merging two dead servers (Vulak into Fippy). It failed pretty bad, with some major bugs that led to many characters not transferring over. I think it is safe to say that was a test for future merges of other servers, and since it failed, they went back to the drawing board, and server merges went to the backburner again.

Here is how it was supposed to work:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-darkpaw-server-merge-october-18-2017.244011/
  15. Cicelee Augur

FoH? You surely do not mean Fires of Heaven. Do you?

If so, what the halfling???
  16. Khat_Nip Meow

Wrong.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  17. Maedhros High King

I had to check the date on this, thought it was a necro post there for a moment.
    You might want to get a bit more in touch with the game, you seem to be running on information from a decade ago.
  18. Belkar_OotS Augur

The main issues of a server merge in my opinion are:
    1. Duplicate names (would need to have a hidden differentiator like playername.servername on the server side and allows the system and the players to be specific about who/what they are sending tells/parcels to when there are multiple options, or a dropdown list for a name in parcels etc.) I know that something exists in WoW that accommodates people doing the cross realm missions with people of the same name.

2. Contested camps. We would want it to be VERY generous number of /picks, and a very low threshold for new instances. Literally, a new instance for every 3-4 groups tops. I want people to play with, to do the content I want, I don't want to fight people and have hours long waits for a camp.

3. Too many characters. They would simply have to lift the cap. They could be restrictive in the number off accessible slots for free to play members so long as they can pick which slots are free (stead of the top X slots imo), but really..... its not that important to me to keep this restriction.

I like that my server doesn't have tons of obvious botters and griefers, apparently I am lucky in that respect. But I would expect a mega server to be a reasonable future for the game.
  19. Quiverr Journeyman

The Australian guild you're referring to is Wreckers and we are on Bertoxx server.
    We have quite a few of your old friends from Real Faith in our ranks now, perhaps you should make a char on Bertoxx and come say hello to them. :)
  20. InnerDruid New Member

Omigosh, I used one apparently out-of-date example of a top guild so that invalidates the entire post and the person posting it as well. Keeping up with the Kardashians of EQ is essential to knowing the game.

I was making a point while you were pointing at a technicality. I could have just said "top handful of raiding guilds." Please pretend I did. The point was made, either way.

And I am not running down high end raiders. They dedicate a lot of time and effort to the game. I actually knows this from experience. My problem with someone in one of these top guilds opposing a server merge because it might inconvenience them? Google "nimby" sometime.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.