Why is MotM a thing on Phinny at this point?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vrael, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Vrael Lorekeeper

This is a completely outdated mechanic that creates unnecessary grief.

Specifically on mobs that still have Death touch. Having to bring multiple raid characters to down a 5 year old expansion to obtain an epic piece because your class was unlucky enough to have multiple DT mobs in it with this stupid buff is ridiculous.
    Kobra likes this.
  2. Kobra Augur

Once the expansion is released where its no longer used it should be removed from previous expansions.
  3. Boze TLP complaint factory

DT mobs still DT without MoTM. You can't solo a DT mob until like 90+ anyway.
    Kold Hearted likes this.
  4. Vrael Lorekeeper

What does that have to do with anything? Id rather have to ask 1 person to come help on a DT mob then to have to ask 3-5 people because our dmg is neutered due to POTM. DT isnt the problem, its DT AND POTM.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

TLDR: POTM Serves no purpose other than to hinder people needing items from said 5 year + old content.
  5. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I'll contribute that it's called MoTM, and your wrong.
  6. Kobra Augur

What is he wrong about? MoTM should be removed when GoD hits. What is the point of leaving it on after its served its purpose?

You sound mad someone wants to kill 5 expansion old content. Who cares at that point.
  7. Boze TLP complaint factory

Most of the DT mobs in classic have 32khp and DT every 30s, so without motm you'd still need a friend to eat the DT and then you'd have to do more than 1066dps, which I think a couple classes could hit by GoD with solid burns iirc.

Motm 1 effectively makes that 44.8khp, so you'd need >1493dps within the same 30s window. That's not exactly a gigantic difference, and if you can get one friend to eat a DT, you probably have someone else you can convince.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  8. Brumans Augur

His wrong what?

But yeah MOTM sucks top to bottom, no matter the era. Garbage mechanic. I don't know if the way they've developed it allows it to be removed though - I think it's permanently on for all servers, isn't it?

They'd probably have to rework it so that it could fall off depending on the current live expansion (tech we know they can do), but it's probably a hard sale to get time for it.
  9. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Mighty Buff should be coded to stop being applied once a server reaches GoD.

Mighty Buff III, IV and V (Velious, Luclin and PoP), should also no long have the Pet hate share penalty. Nor should those mobs use Mark of the Old Ways on pets. Its Velious where mobs have 200k-1000k HP and hit for up to 1100. Pets are not facerolling these mobs in these expansions.

No one is ever meeting pick thresholds in these zones after GoD so there's really no concern about excess raid mobs spawning from picks.

One of the big points of fun I had in EQ was finding out what my class could solo as far as old raid mobs went. Id like to be able to give that a go again. Right now with mighty Buff I think Kunark dragons are doable at level 70 with Demi gear and max AA. For reference on the Al'Kabor server my Druid with EP/Time gear and effectively max AA at level 65, was soloing the same dragons. 5 less levels, 800 less AAs.
  10. Ryak Augur

I believe they have explicitly stated they can't easily disable MotM based on the current expansion.

Based on dev posts about revamped zones, I assume if they really wanted to do it, they'd have to create two different spawns of every raid mob with MotM and era restrict them appropriately, which they could do if they wanted to spend the effort.

I don't get the impression they want to spend that effort, though. To be fair it sounds like a pain in the neck for limited benfit, especially when you consider they probably would also have to re-do every single AoC instance as well.

Also you have situations like VT (and probably others) where the mobs are involved in convoluted ancient scripts that they might not even understand anymore, so that could also be a big issue.
  11. Prathun Developer

We've changed how Mitigation of the Mighty buffs and stats are applied to bosses so that they are no longer applied when it's 5 era years after the content was introduced.

So...
    Original EQ bosses stop using MotM once Gates of Discord has unlocked.
    Kunark bosses stop using MotM once Dragons of Norrath has unlocked.
    Velious bosses stop using MotM once Prophecy of Ro has unlocked.
    Luclin bosses stop using MotM once The Buried Sea has unlocked.
    Planes of Power bosses stop using MotM once Seeds of Destruction has unlocked.

This coincides to when Fabled activate, so it should not be possible to get a boss that is both Fabled and has MotM.

This should go out with the next full update.
    Taladir, Ryak, Gana and 13 others like this.
  12. Catashe Augur

Just cause I gotta ask... WTH is a "era year"
  13. Boze TLP complaint factory

Holy wow, did not expect this to happen. Thank you!
  14. xaga Elder

Boze - did not see that one either.
  15. Jaera Augur

A teeny, tiny, super minor complaint, but I'm 100% certain that Planes of Power Fabled were added with the addition of Secrets of Faydwer, not Seeds of Destruction. The Combine server had Fabled PoP available to us, and Combine wasn't declared a "live" server until the release of the Seeds of Destruction expansion at the end of that year.

Additionally, except for Plane of Time, fabled PoP raid mobs loot is basically equivalent to Secrets of Faydwer Tier1 / Tier 2 raid armor, while some pieces from Fabled Plane of Time are competitive with SoF Tier 3 raid armor, and all the focuses on Fabled PoP armor decay after level 80 (SoF) not 85 (SoD). Meanwhile, Tier 5 group gear (Korafax / Old Bloodfields) is basically equivalent to Fabled Plane of Time with level 85 focuses.

However, if Fabled PoP is pushed off to SoD, I don't think many people would complain that much.
  16. Karhar Dream Crusher

SoF released Nov 2007, fabled pop was March 2008
    Bobbybick likes this.
  17. Aziuno Augur

You can update/close this now
    https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-1704
    Boze likes this.
  18. malaki Augur

Was kind of hoping to see MotM Fableds. A very disappointing development.
  19. Girth-Matters Lorekeeper

3 years would be way better IMO.
  20. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Where'd the sig go?
    Taladir likes this.