"Grimling Forest - Original population."

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Parsli, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Parsli Journeyman

snailish likes this.
  2. Prathun Developer

Checked this, and I think you're right. It looks like the Progression Server FAQ is incorrect and Grimling Forest is in its non-original alt dataset under all circumstances. We will look into this further.
    Parsli, snailish and PathToEternity like this.
  3. Parsli Journeyman

Dude, you rock!

If we get Grimling Forest 1.0 / Acrylia Caverns 1.0 on Agnarr during PoP or a future patch, I'll buy like... 25 Kronos or something from you guys, because that'd be incredible to have back. I haven't seen that place since EverQuest for Macintosh shut down.
    potatoface likes this.
  4. Vashnoob Lorekeeper

if only we could get freeport 1.0
    Soar, Chatoyan, squidgod and 6 others like this.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Grimling Forest 1.0 definitely still exists and appears to be ready to go / fully functioning. There was (is?) a bug where pickzones of Grimling would all be the 1.0 version at least when Phinigel was in Luclin, I ran around for a bit snapped a bunch of pictures for ZAM and updated some old loottables was pretty neat to see.

I would be pretty shocked if AC 1.0 still existed though but I'd love to see it, looking at the historical data reports it seemed to be a much more interesting zone than the one we have now.
    potatoface likes this.
  6. potatoface Journeyman

If this happened, I would forgive so much other crap that gets shoveled in on these TLPs. Original Freeport is such a good set of zones, coupled with the original East / West separate Commonlands.

I know it's a pipedream. Don't have to troll me about realistic expectations.
    Zavix likes this.
  7. Everrob New Member

There is also Grieg's End 1.0 which would be nice to see as well. Those had existed on the now defunct mac server.
    potatoface likes this.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

the new freeport is actially pretty incredible looking. Nobody said that about old freeport architecture.

That being said, they did recently fix unrest locked doors... so all bets are off. I think they pick fixes the same way Sherwin Williams picks paint color names.
  9. Zavix New Member

Agree. Words cannot express the amount of fail that new freeport is. It's not even necessarily the feel or the ambiance of the new freeport, it's the horrible maze-like layout with no coherency of thought in the design.
    Soar likes this.
  10. Kolani Augur

Old Freeport is incredibly disappointing when you enter one of the instances that still has it intact. In case you don't remember, Old Freeport is basically a bad Doom level with...no coherency or thought in the design past the gates and the Knights of Truth hall.
    Rhodz likes this.
  11. Brumans Augur

Do you remember the original Freeport? Both it and Qeynos are mazes.

I mean, I don't love the new Freeport either, but I got used to it just like the original Freeport. Both are mazes.

I do like the other zone revamps though, for the most part (Oasis, Commonlands, etc). They're all basically the same just more detailed.
    Rhodz likes this.
  12. Darchias Augur

New Freeport is great, don't listen to 'em devs. To bring back old Freeport would be a sword to the heart of tradeskill-loving players like myself.

Although... if you could fix Ilanon Untitia in the East Freeport Port Authority building I would appreciate it. He has every Banded and every Plate mold for all three sizes as well as the molds for Full Plate... except the 'Small Helm Mold' required for 'Small Banded Helm.' It was really annoying when I was trying to sell Banded in the tunnel when Agnarr was in Classic.
  13. Prathun Developer

Well, there are roughly 400 NPCs up in Grimling Forest 1.0, but... about 100 are invisible men. The ones that aren't invisible men aren't spawned normally and the NPCs I killed didn't respawn. Since this is unconventional functionality and Grimling is a Luclin era zone, it uses some combination of invisible men, invisible shouts, NCDs, and voodoo magic to function. It will take quite some time to follow the complicated network of old-world goofiness to determine if the zone is fit for public consumption, and there's a good chance that it just doesn't work. We could push it out to Test for a while and let testers put it through its paces.
    Rhodz, eepok, Kattria Minx and 5 others like this.
  14. Dadcop Lorekeeper

Prathun I am sorry for what I said about the Everquest lore writers.
    Sumonerr_Tunare and Prathun like this.
  15. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

I imagine most early expansions are only working by some kind of ritualistic blood magic at this point.
    eepok likes this.
  16. jiri_ Augur

I imagine the server maintenance process involves prying the motherboard out of a 2000-vintage eMachines and smashing it on an altar.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  17. Darchon_Xegony Augur

This would be amazing.

While you're looking into this... Acrylia Caverns 1.0 would be an amazing thing. There were quite a few events in the zone. Ring of Fire near the front, the Trondol/High Priest event which provides the 8th piece to the inner acrylia key. I think several of the inner AC events were bugged on Al'Kabor but would be very intrigued to see what their loot tables were and if they were close to functionality at all.

Plus yea Griegs 1.0 was fairly empty as a zone just a lot of random traps iirc. It also had a very weird set of drops from these mobs.

Would be great to see all of these zones on Agnarr forever. A little homage to Al'Kabor. Offer similar content to what was originally available on the Mac server on the server with a similar time lock.
  18. Xandollf New Member

The invisible grimlings are probably from the triggerable grimling wars that were part of the original keying for IA. If I recall they had some weak/mediocre stat items that also had flowing thought on them(like 5 int/Wis ft3). The wars were extremely buggy and thus time consuming. Original IA was unitemized or very weakly itemized at best. It was "sold" as an alternative to ssra/vt, but substantially under-delivered given the time involved.
  19. Barallron Journeyman

Dont forget it wasn't even finished when guilds got into the end zone. Items were dropping that didn't have stats and placeholder names.
    Xandollf likes this.
  20. Xandollf New Member

I'm pretty sure the items dropped were bones getting thrown in by a Dev watching the fights - not real itemization. I was trying to be nice.