Changing font type

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cstoner187, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Mendel Journeyman

Certainly, this 'joke' fails to register for those of us with visual issues. Poor decision making, at the very best. Certainly there could be a more productive use of the developer's time.

At least my discomfort amused others. Way to go, everyone without keratoconus or other eye conditions. Don't blame me when someone makes fun of you for having a brain aneurysm.
  2. Lianeb Augur

So you're telling me you can read the chat with an ariel font but can't read the chat with a comic serf font?
    You do realize the fonts are still the same size?
  3. Tornicade_IV Augur

Yes cause changing a font setting in the loader is really time consuming.

the main problem with the font they chose is its font size 2 displayed set to a fontsize 4 an some resolutions 5 is just too big.

personally I think its an educational joke as it teaches people some tool s they have forgotten and maybe people try out a few fonts along the way and improve their overall game experience.
  4. Sazxus New Member

Gives these guys a break. They're trying. You're like a bunch of old wives that can never be pleased.
  5. Tornicade_IV Augur

they actually aren't on some resolutions. the text appears smaller regardless of font size

if you change it to the next size up it gets substantially larger
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Pretty sure if they did nothing at all, the same people would be here going WTF, it's April 1st and nothing was done to make people laugh?
  7. svann Augur

LOL, did someone actually say they were cancelling? I missed that.
  8. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

DougyFresh likes this.
  9. DougyFresh New Member

Bye Felicia.
  10. Sad Panda Elder

If you use Higher res it is basically unreadable until you make the adjustments every time you zone or rez or whatever. The joke was great the first time, but having to constantly keep resetting it is not a joke, it is a bad planning.

tried adjusting the font size and it makes the text just absolutely huge.
    Quatr and Ruinedmyownlands like this.
  11. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Old people are the worst.
  12. Elizabeta Augur

What ever happened to the eqclient entry of "nofun=1" or somesuch?
  13. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

14. Cahal New Member

What stupid idea to implement. What is the logic behind this? And having them change back to the stupid joke font after every zone? You're just annoying people with this, its not fun or funny.
  15. Silvara Elder

/font arial, hot key and spam on every zone.

Thanks to whichever unpaid intern thought this would be a good april fool's joke.
  16. Potsos76 Augur

I actually thought it was pretty amusing. :D
  17. Lorilei Journeyman

Numerically the fonts may be the same size, however physically
    they are not
    the same size. If you don't understand this, go play with the concept in Word. Type out the same sentence multiple times, and play with variations. Keep the same numerical size, but change the font style, and you will see that the actual size varies widely between fonts.

As I said before, this was a funny prank. But it needed to be tested first. All of this hubbub could have been avoided.
  18. Nolrog Augur

EQ players are infamous for complaining about EVERYTHING
  19. Nolrog Augur

This could not have been avoided. If they changed the font and made it to the exact size you had before, people would be here complaining. And if they did nothing, you guessed it, the exact same people would be here complaining (April Fools and DBG did nothing. Don't they have a sense of humor there?)

Some people just like to complain and look for excuses to do so.
  20. Mendel Journeyman

They font size is different. The font is used to display other things besides the chat area. Buttons, spell descriptions (both book and rclick menu), menus like the EQ button, and others. These various elements don't even use the same fontsize when displayed normally.

My issue is more about the attributes of the comic serf font itself. The slant causes aliasing and makes the individual letters more difficult to read at any fontsize (before that is pointed out again and I have to point out that /chatfontsize doesn't impact the text on buttons or menus again).

It isn't an issue about how much time it may have taken. It's more about how they aren't considering issues that their customers may face. The developers made a decision, acted on it, all without appearing to think about how that might impact some portion of their player base. That is what is the most annoying.