19th Anniversary: Dreadspire Time Sink

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Poyzen Frawg, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svann Augur

As a puzzle its kind of lame. You find a food on the ground and thats the answer? You give him food and the one he takes is the answer? Thats no sherlock holmes mystery. How did he even know it was the right one?? When I first started this I thought there would be some logic involved in the answer.

As a puller though I appreciated the challenge of getting single pulls here - if you dont have a raid geared tank that can handle 2 long enough to get them mezzed (or not even needing mez).
  2. Riou EQResource

Imagine the food was probably supposed to poof from the table as the guest dropped some in murder room, but since it never poofs from table
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Rickate Augur

Task locks as soon as you start it.

1) Deal with 2 or 3 orcs (one is a wanderer) just past the door, there may be a g-spot where you can turn in invite without aggro
    2) Hail all the guests, some of them have 2 keywords adding to the challenge
    3) Turn in food items on the table one at a time, or 4 at once for added challenge, the food that updates the quest was in front of the murderer
    4) If the food is Fancy Ham or Fancy Drumstick you may want to drop and try again, seeing either with an Eye of Zomm or similar adds extra challenge, alternatively drop the mission unless the murder food is ham or drumstick
    5) Look for the ground spawn with an Eye of Zomm or similar, ideally a SoS and fade Rogue, you can at least search Ballroom, Library and Labaratory with a Stalking Probe, guess any other location if you don't find the ground spawn
    6) If quest updates on first guess (no 'the' for room) then say "the class_of_murderer", kill the murderer, hail Melion and off to Dreadspire for up to 6 augs
    7) If quest does not update repeat Step 1

A) Complete the mission, hours of mindless killing which at high levels pretty much requires a puller/CC, you might get 4 drops from the mobs and Melion might accept all 4 drops

I) Get a Level 71 character (70 might work, pretty sure it's req 71 for most buffs), preferably a pet class, a naked Level 71 SK can crush the mission but gate is also useful, not sure when Enc get a controllable pet
    II) Shroud whoever wants the aug to 70 (not necessary if that character is 101 or lower) and get mission
    III) Unshroud anyone that is needed to buff the Level 71, ideally you have an Enc for Rune and a Mage or Druid for short term DS but simply grouping them with a 110 merc for Assurance and whatever other buffs you can scrounge up also works, just slower
    IV) Mindless clear with Level 71, make sure XP is set to AA, gaining levels makes the buffs less powerful relatively speaking, you can simply pet bomb (rune and short term DS), merc bomb (healer merc will heal pet while mobs chew through Assurance), gate and rebuff, pet bomb, gate and rebuff and repeat or you can pet bomb, merc bomb, self bomb, rez, rebuff, pet bomb, self bomb and repeat (5min revive timer on merc)
    V) If you've killed every mob that might have a drop and only have 3 you can wedge yourself in a corner and AFK on a Weapon Rack or restart the mission
    VI) Rebuff one more time, suspend merc on 71 if full group, reshroud and zone in, this might not be necessary but I had everyone in zone at time of update, kill the murderer and complete the mission

You can also combine shroud and buffing with Steps 1-6 if you're having trouble killing the murderer.
    Monkman likes this.
  4. kizant Augur

The quest itself is pretty good imo. I'd just make these changes for next time:
    1. Make you have to guess a room before the npc responds to the class phrase.
    2. Make you get at least half the quest updates from the ground spawn/drops before allowing you to make a guess.
    3. Lock the task when you make a guess for the room.

Although, if you play on FV there's going to be enough augs in existence for everyone who needs one for the next 5 years by Monday morning when devs read this.
    Kolani likes this.
  5. Kolani Augur

It's like Oprah is running the mission up on FV.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. gnomeboss Augur

I will build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me --and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall around Dreadspire Keep, and I will make Mayong Mistmoore pay for that wall. Mark my words.
  7. Kolani Augur

Dreadspire Keep is not going to build it [a wall], we're going to build it. And it's going to be a serious wall. It's not going to be a toy wall like we have right now where enchanters levitate over it loaded up with KEI and they sell the KEI in our zone and then they go back and, you know, we get the KEI, they get the plat, okay, and that's not going to happen.
  8. Evurkvest Augur

Rather hard mobs for this much clearing, my grp geard tank pretty much go squish on anything but single pulls. Hard mobs plus need to pull singles makes this very slow. Mobs with RoS trash strength would be enough imo.
  9. Rickate Augur

In an added twist, no Commemorative Coins for completion.
  10. TheStugots Augur

Strange...I got coins on completion.
  11. Rickate Augur

Two Level 76 in zone at completion, one had no Coins, only reason I noticed, the other had 85 when I checked so can't be sure if the group and task leader who did the hail got 10 or not. Four Level 70 Shrouds, at least one of those didn't get any Coins.
  12. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Thank you so much!
    That would be the SI orc servants then for example - in the base they do not SI, only stuff behind the doors to the rooms does.
    That would be the rather large assist radii - in the base zone, at then-current level, we only had ballroom adds if you did something REALLY stupid. And even then they didn't hit like a truck each so 5mobs were an ensured wipe.

lol

I said it above, and i happily repeat it:
    I like the mission design/idea - what i don't "like" much is some of the "circumstances"/implementation. Especially where "scaling" is involved. But that is, i'm afraid, not a fault of this mission but of the underlying mechanics.
  13. Zhaunil_AB Augur

That's what i thought too, but then it also never even crossed my mind to try and exploit the cactus mission, so who knows what people looking for loopholes might have found?

That sounds like a good way to do it within the bounds of design/idea.
    My only issue with this is that it should not be "needed" imo. And it wouldn't be, if the scaling were... well.. scaling better (as in less) i guess. I think that is the underlying issue people "complaining" about this mission and it being a "timesink" are having; at least it's mine.
  14. Critts Augur

The difference is you have to maintain (the same) group for the entire mission. It’s a lot to ask people that only play pick up groups to be able to do that. Top geared hardcore raiders may have a hard time getting something corrordinated for that long on an off night. The examples you have given can almost entirely be done at leisure by a single player now. Those things are time sinks for sure, but if you only have an hour to farm unicorn butts then that’s ok while this mission takes at least 2 1/2 hours to do as intended. Throw in that some groups can’t get it done in 6 hours and it’s just unreasonable. The only Comparable missions in the game I can think of are the OMM missions and those can actually be two boxed if you know what you are doing. Holy crap they are a time sink tho.
    kizant likes this.
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We do consider skipping steps and doing only part of the mission to get the reward exploiting. I will make no comment on anything happening to anyone about that. I'm not allowed to comment on it. (We never are, which is why we often say nothing when asked.)

The Study is the room with the weapon racks.
    The Ritual area (Note It says area not room) is the room with the altar and lab like area next to it. Bot these rooms accessed through the study.
    The other rooms should be obvious. (The crypt has 2 sides)

And again. You don't have to kill every mob, only mobs in the designated rooms. There is only ONE drop per room. So if you get the drop early... you can skip the rest of the room if you can get by the rest of the room with crowd control or invisibility.

In a hotfix coming soon, I did find a way to get past one of the things that the Heroic Adventure system did to me. I *DO* have a setting set on the non-important mobs to spawn only 20% of the time, but the Heroic adventure ignores that setting and spawns them 100%. I managed to make the non-important mobs spawn 20% using a different method (they spawn, since I can't seem to stop that, but then roll a die to despawn 80% of the time)

Also, while fixing this, I did manage to get a Ranger as the Murderer (didn't happen in my 20 or so other tests) and found that though you can still "/say the ranger" and get the credit, the text link for ranger does not show in the dialog as one to click on. When it was the ranger, the dialog text said necromancer :/ (And if one of the other guests was a necromancer... it would say necromancer twice!)

And yes, the hotfix fixes the exploit as well as the dialog bug and making the task easier by removing 80% of the trash.

I would not advise rushing to use the exploit before the hotfix goes in.
  16. enclee Augur

Thanks for the information, Ngreth.
  17. Sissruukk Rogue One

Thanks for the communication Ngreth. This is what we would like to see going forward on issues. Tell us what you can tell us, let us know what is being done, and keep us in the loop. Good job sir.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Caell like this.
  18. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

Thanks for taking the time to speak for everybody. Gosh golly, you sure have an incredible way of knowing what everybody else is thinking.
  19. redline Lorekeeper

You have always been able to do Bonus parts to anniversary quests Without finishing the quest, obviously more than this one quest. Hopefully you look at all the quests and not just this one.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  20. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

^

It’s pretty amusing to be able to make collector crates over and over with the same task. Yay heirloom!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.