19th Anniversary: Dreadspire Time Sink

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Poyzen Frawg, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadmore Augur

And how do you get around having to complete five clue hand-ins before the hail step becomes active?

You don't have to "guess." Laboratories, ballrooms, libraries, etc., are actual types of rooms. Just look at the room when you're in it. Labs have sciencey stuff, ballrooms have people dancing, libraries have books, etc.
  2. Stormrider New Member

One of our officers (Silent Resurgence, Emarr) posted the following summation to our forums. I think that it covers the main points concisely and could help others.

To get the aug, and to correctly guess the ROOM and CLASS: First you need to pay attention to where you're picking up the food and in front of which class. SECOND, you need to pay attention to which food turns into the NPC that food that was accepted by the npc there is another piece of that food as a groundspawn throughout the zone in rooms like the Lab, Library, South Crypt, Ballroom, Study, Bedrooms, or Ritual Area. Either clear zones, or eye around to find out the room, also if you kill in those rooms items will drop, our winning combo was Seperated Spike (Clr, Dru, Sham, Ench, Necro, Mage, Wiz, second Was a Battle worn Wand only caster usable, Third scrap of cloth also caster only, last was a Small mirror - Bard/Ench only. Only similar class was Enchanter.

I've done the quest twice with good groups and both times ended up with no lockout timer. Since it's six hours from the time you BEGIN I think that explains the Timesink portion. There's just way too much time spent simply clearing mobs. It's fun, challenging, and so on, but two hours would have been far more reasonable.
  3. svann Augur

After giving it more thought Id like to say that its not so abnormal to get a bonus without finishing the task. Drunken stein is kind of like that too.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. Sancus Augur

The sad part is IMO this task has character, but it gets overshadowed by the tedious grind.

I really enjoyed the class dialogues (especially the ranger one), and I think the clue system is really cool. I didn't know the devs were able to script something like this. Finding random food littered throughout Dreadspire Keep was amusing too.

The task has potential to be a light-hearted/fun/enjoyable anniversary quest. I don't think anyone cares that much if it's relatively trivial to get the aug. I'd probably reduce the difficulty and quantity of the trash fairly significantly, and maybe add multiple drops of the clues so you won't have to clear them all.

I also agree that it would be cool if there was a reason to go through the trash clear beyond getting the clues. They could have a chance to drop things from the Commemorative Coin vendors (small stuff like Illusions, consumables, w/e), which would incentivize people to re-run the mission. Or whatever the devs want, just something to make the trash clear a little bit monotonous.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Because it's an HA. HA's have always allowed for steps being done out of order. They'd have to specifically code it to not allow for it. Last year's Stein, you could go do the bonus immediately. It's the nature of HA's. Whether or not this was intended is up to someone like Ngreth to comment on.

I had the item to turn in, then did the entire task the right way for... well, checkmarks and it seems too easy to just do it that way. The reward is pretty huge for it. You get decent xp for the kills and [Sat Mar 17 13:11:53 2018] You have gained 48 ability point(s)! You now have 67 ability point(s). for completing it. For me boxing it, it took 1h 45m. Concentrate your kills on the actual rooms. If you have a Rogue, it might even be worthwhile to kill and drag to a safe spot - res and skip the halls. Less time spent killing mobs that don't drop the clues. Though less xp too.

Safe spots are inside the doors at the labs - just don't move around a lot or you will get agro. You can pull lab, library and ballroom all to this spot. Upstairs at the end of the hall way by the bedrooms. I'm not sure for the crypt as I didn't have to go down there. If you don't have really good DPS, you need a good pulling class or a good crowd control person or you're going to be in trouble. Especially the library and ballroom you're going to get 5-6 mobs at a time.

Unlike previous years, it does give the item to everyone in the group. So instead of having to do it 6 times for everyone in your group - you only have to do it once. So there is that...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. TheStugots Augur

Yeah, speaking strictly from a boxed crew, the time required didn’t really bother me. I’ll gladly take the one time of 3 hours for 6 augs vs six times of 30 minutes for 6 augs.

With that said, I do think it should probably be changed a bit if they intend for the average players to do it the way it’s intended to be done.

Also, my entire group got 51-53 AAs upon completion...yet you got 48, Smoke. Wonder why?
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Maybe uses the old school CoTF HA system, and you killed more mobs than I did? No clue, but each of the chars that was under 220 saved got 48 for me.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'd like to get some word from Daybreak before they start banning people for getting the aug without completing the entire quest. After the Fell Foliage bannings/suspensions I am wary about anything.

I'd like a dev to say this is ok. Otherwise, they need to design these things better. Because anyone over three years old would know that we are going to try to find ways to get such a good item without spending an entire day.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. ShadowMan Augur

No way they come out and say its ok. Its a risk and most are betting because you are not skipping any lockout or timers that its not going to mean trouble. But its up to the player whether its worth risking a possible ban. But if they ban for this then they need to ban anyone who has the new collectors case without having completed the mission, anyone who flipped the ldon for tent drops without completing the mission and anyone who has the pok stein without having completed the task.
  10. TheStugots Augur

Yeah, that’s probably it.
  11. Khat_Nip Meow

When I did this mission last night it was mostly to learn it as I was by myself.
    I determined who the murderer was (berserker) by the piece (turkey) that was turned in from the table. I got to my first room (ballroom) and there was a turkey groundspawn there. Now I knew both who the murderer was and the room.

I went right back to entrance to tell Melion, got jumped by the berserker, killed it, and got the Red Berry Paste.
    Since I was alone the mission eventually timed out before I was able to get all the other clues.

DBG may ultimately think differently, and that's fine, but the way I see it I got rewarded (Red Berry Paste) for what I did do and not rewarded (checkmark, XP, currency) for what I didn't do. Naturally I'll have to go back for those 3 things.
  12. svann Augur

Its not like the foliage mission where people were doing it over and over and over....
  13. Rickate Augur

Can Weapon Racks have a quest drop?

They aren't scaled to level of the mission and will take a very long time to kill at Level 76.
  14. TheStugots Augur

It’s possible, yes.
    Rickate likes this.
  15. Nekro Journeyman

When I went in the original zone at level there were 54 of us, raid geared.
  16. Fohpo Augur

Aug takes 15 min, don't have to do while mission.
  17. Zalamyr Augur

The design of this is actually really cool. The level of trash clearing is not. Increase drop rates, remove all the see invis, and you've got a fine mission.
  18. Kolani Augur

Eye of Zomm. Never leave the entrance.
  19. Lily Augur

My grouped killed for about 3 and 1/2 hours, and didn't get a single drop.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

At 110 trash hits too hard, 2 40K hitters when you do the first hand in is not fun, and far too much trash.
    Completion time needs to be reduced by and hour or so if not more.
    Default map also needs updating with all the rooms on it!
    So many don't know what's the lab and whats the crypt and what's the ritualist area, also confusion over the library and hidden room, which we were surprised to discover was not the study!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.