What happened to the potion belt ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I miss the potion-belt too, But I will wait and see what plans they have for hotbar-improvements before I complain. Maybe it will be alright in the end. :)
  2. Warbreaker New Member

Ok Daybreak, you decide for what ever reason to take the potion belt from us. Then you post that we have to wait a full month to get "some of the functionality back". What gives? Since you have taken it away, why not just say that it was causing issues, people might be more accepting, if you just said something.

Since you have failed to give a reason then I am going to assume that there was no legitimate reason to remove it, other than someone just wanted to get rid of it.

Now moving forward, either make a statement that the potion belt was bugged, causing unintended consequences. If this is not the case, then return the Potion Belt to us immediately. If you want to try and make changes to things like this in the future then have the replacement ready before making the change.
    Yinnie the Pink likes this.
  3. Zhaunil_AB Augur

1) right - me, i'm hoping for an update there
    2) /useitem - certainly your bags aren't that much of a mess. And if they are, now's the time for some organization.
    3) EQUI_HotButtonWnd.xml - a rather large file, yes. and potentially quite some huge parts to copy+modify for a mod.
    BUT fully moddable.
    For ME, the potion belt had far larger "buttons" than the hotbars (i never bothered to mod it or to download one).
  4. Derd Augur

If as stated they are making regular hotbars able to function the same or close to how the old potion belt ( in many ways they already do) did. It will actually give you even more flexibility than being stuck at 4 or 5 slots. Imagine every item you have from food and drink including your spam food could be visible, along with different poison's , invis's and undead invis, haste potions, regen, cure potions, rez clicky .. etc and all with the current count of how many in inventory and clickable from any hotbar you want them in.
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I am fairly sure i had used the default potion belt, and for me that was a "tiny" window with huge buttons.
    "tiny" - not really, it was half the width of a horizontal hotbar, and 1.5 times the height, about. For 5buttons instead of 12.
    As i said, i never got around to mod it, i never felt annoyed enough.

in the EQUI_HotButtonWnd.xml, there's the entry for the 11th hotbar (alternatively take the next you do not use or whatever); and even though i did not try it (i just took a quick look into the new file), i am fairly sure that there you can just put in 5buttons instead of the usual 12 by coyping+renaming the <TileLayoutBox item="HB_HotButtonLayout"> and modifying it to your liking. iirc you can also set the buttonsizes in-game, but if you feel the need i am sure you can do the same with <HotButton item="HB_ButtonYourButton01"> instead of the default <HotButton item="HB_ButtonNN">

Some word on the "why" and "how" and "the future of this" would be nice though, i doubt any of the major modders will mod this window just now. Instead i assume they will - unless we're given more info on it - wait a patch or two before they tackle it, lest some further change negates the effort.
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Zek is dead - who cares ;P
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

1) Since some functionality is coming back, it is not an evil plot to make players grief and whine
    2) UI consolidation removes complexity, making the code base manageable, making the game improvable; this is a benefit for all
    3) It is not healthy to have a deafult behaviour to feel victimized, wronged, and disempowered by change. Change is a continual part of life, and if you can coping mechanisms and strategies, you will not only be more successful, you will also be happier. Save your grief for what matters
  8. Samatman Augur

I logged in just to put this kind of stupid post on ignore.
    Slippry and IblisTheMage like this.
  9. Azorin Journeyman

Solution: a very easy fix is to make potion/summoned clicky only bags (like Quiver) so that mages and others can use the /useitem command to use potions and other potion belt items such as pets, mod rods etc.

Restricted bag type is needed so that /autoinv would work to put these items put into this type of bag. This would make the loss of the potion belt bar a non issue and retain function of these items.
  10. Yinnie the Pink Elder

Font even need the restrictions. Just put small bag in last inventory slot. Lock it to UI turn off close with esc Key. Put items in bag directly as you would with the potion belt.

Works far better than the hot key bar and doesn't mean you have to rearrange your UI For a large hot bar to fit.

Just need them to let you be able to see how many charges an item had when in bags.

Then all fixed. Still won't show total number of options but I can live without that
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

At least he cared :-D
  12. Moege Augur

Let me do that right now, swapping out a 40 slot bag for a 5 slot bag sounds so good !
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Daedly and Yinla like this.
  13. Jalelorf Augur

https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-49991

If you purchased Dragons of Norrath expansion you also purchased this feature. Now they have taken that feature away (even though its still advertised). Basically this means they have stolen part of a product without asking. I haven't received compensation for this feature which I paid for back in 2005.
  14. Horyuken Augur

15. Shaded Journeyman

not even an apology for this theft let alone compensation for it
  16. Zamiam Augur

I'm sure i can scrounge around somewhere in the DBG site to find something stating that they have the right to change so called digital media whenever they want ..

just like from past expansions with the illusion and familiar key rings .. when you purchase current expansion you DO NOT get those features with the upgrade expansion even though your buying all past expansions .. they do however make it possible to purchase said rings via the marketplace.. and I for one would like that option available for the potion belt now ..
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Consumable keyring.

• Limit it to clickable items that are expendable.
    • Allow positions in the keyring to be fixed. IE when a slots charges/items/potions are exhausted the slot doesn't disappear it just shows as 0 charges remaining
    • Give every player 5 free slots to go back to potionbelt status.
    • Offer 5-10-15 additional slots in marketplace.

This is a much cleaner implementation of replacing the potion belt. Roll it into the same code that you have for Illusion, mount and Familiar key rings. I am assuming those keyrings perform some check of the item or the spell to confirm it is allowable to put said item in the respective key ring. I would hope the same check could see if an item is a clicky that is consumable. But possibly it's more complex than I'm suggesting.
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Well, i'm not too sure how it works atm, with the hotbar-based stacks going from one /useitem slot to the next of the same item. (it looks like it were changing the /useitem automatically, as there is a flickering between empty hotbutton/new stack as the previous one is used up and it's switching to the next)
    But what if the hotbar would "simply" store the item-ID and not the /useitem in the future?
    And i am sure the grand total over many stacks (e.g. of cloudy potions) can be made to be displayed too (and easier mostlikely) if the "focus" were item-ID-based instead of slot-based as it seems to be now.

I am sure there's room for improvement and yes, not all the "features" of the potion-belt can be had right now.
    But i think these are all minor - and i honestly don't quite understand why some people seem to be so upset.

To ME, the far bigger issue factoring in here is the loss of some assignments in ALT+O => Keys - things i used to be able to assign keys to (like the Xtar-slots) are missing. And for the 11th hotbar, which seems the "natural" replacement for the potion-belt i'd have to assign some hotkey too, to call this one up specifically - currently i just used a 6th hotbar for an on-the-fly replacement for last night's XPing, but i guess the ALT+P that brought the potion belt up can be assigned to that hotbar now too.
    Between that and the modding that is possible, i see no loss besides that the grand total (over many stacks) isn't showing currently.
    Something i am missing, but can sure live with.

Currently, i am using that newly called-up hotbar in a 3*4 layout, did reduce my main chat window's width a bit and actually gained visibility and accessibility compared to the potion belt:
    Going from
    [IMG]
    To
    [IMG]
  19. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I have to ask....

Why is #1 on your main hotbar autoattack for a Cleric?
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

For when a healer merc is available!

At least he uses decent spell gems. :)