Test Update 03/06/18 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Maraithi New Member

I can see no real reason for this beyond sheer laziness - whatever they wanted to update they only wanted to update on one thing (hotbars) rather than updating two things at once. The hotbars are a useless replacement for the potion belt since you can't see accurately how many potions you have left, and the hotbars are jammed at 12 icons that creates a space issue on my UI if I open another one to handle the potions.

Who removes a function before adding in the replacement anyway, that breaks every known approach to project management.
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

You have to agree that this doesn't seem their strong point anyways.
    It feels like a bunch of (meanwhile old) enthusiasts doing something they once liked to do, but without the professional background beyond coding.
  3. Roartyger Smoot Elder

4. Natal Augur

You did not provide a reason. You just said that they weren't allowed and that there was no time to fix it in time for the event. That is not an explanation of WHY mercs were excluded in the first place.

Missions AFAIK do not have this restriction at all, which means that this is different from everything else. It suggests that either it was a deliberate choice for unexplained reasons, or a raid was used as a template and whoever did that was not aware that mercs are not allowed in raids or didn't think about that exclusion as a potential problem for casual players who the mission was intended. Or maybe something else, but an explanation for why it was this way was not provided.

No one is saying that it should be a solo thing, but just because something is a group thing doesn't mean that groups don't use mercs. Mercs are commonly used in groups for a variety of reasons, and I would suggest that MOST groups actually use them because of the flexibility it provides.

It just seems odd, as though game design in the current meta in the RoS era is out of touch with the way the game is actually played by most people.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Natal Augur

Actually, it will still do that. No matter what you do, unless you get timing down exactly right (the time between spawning and fail is apparently about a second) the event will reset. It is very frustrating and basically is blocking progress, because you have to be able to do this not once, but twice in succession to get into the second wave.
  6. kizant Augur

Gyurika Godofwar and Sancus like this.
  7. segap Augur

I read his response as it was a mistake. No nefarious reason. Just an oops. One that unfortunately was found too late for their code freeze.
  8. Natal Augur

Why were they removed before the replacement system was fully implemented then?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Natal Augur

It is not just an "oops". Missions presumably use a basic template, and mercs being allowed would be part of that. If they were being prohibited then it must have been a due to some other reason. It seems weird that they would set up a system that required a routine element to be flagged as "on" each and every time when it is always "on". "On" would be the default setting, any toggling would be to set it as "off", which means it was done on purpose.

Is there any other mission or solo/group instance where mercs are not allowed? I can't think of any, outside of raids, and even then that may be a property of being in a raid itself, not the instance as such?
  10. kizant Augur

I haven't done one in a long time but I don't think any of the dodh missions allow mercs. It was probably a copy/paste error. None of what you said changes the definition of the word 'oversight'.
    Gyurika Godofwar and gotwar like this.
  11. Hludwolf Developer

Because I love the taste of tears? What full blooded Iksar doesn't?
  12. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I don’t throw around the term hero lightly.

But you, sir, are the greatest hero in American history.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. Yinnie the Pink Elder

While we have someone actually talking to us about the potion belt why was it removed?
  14. Prathun Developer

Seriously? o_O
    assumption, assumption, assumption, assumption, assumption, poorly drawn conclusion
  15. Zaviere Augur

See? Proof that Iksar are the scum of Norrath. Burn them all!
  16. Boze TLP complaint factory

Now that the March patch is out, are there any plans to add PoR AoCs before TSS releases on Phinigel?
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

This.
    Your other post later, that Prathun commented on, IS making assumptions about what we have to work with, how we do things, etc.
    It was an oops. Simple as that. It's not an indication of things planned forward. It's not an indication of intent for this mission. It's not a plan. It was a mistake.
    The REASON is I made a mistake.
    This is actually exactly what it was. I changed the other field I needed to change but missed that.
    What I copied was the raid zone, because it had more of the correct information than any "template" would have had. I simply missed changing the "DISALLOW_MERCENARIES" flag.

BUT. I also don't consider it a showstopper that requires us to bring the server down, delay the patch, or add more time to the anniversary. The mission is FULLY completable as is. The only thing the incorrect flag does is strongly encourage folks to group and play nice with other players.

And as I said, that my opinion. It's possible I can be overridden.
    Greymantle, Ssdar, Ryak and 8 others like this.
  18. Ghubuk Augur

Chuckle, not much chance for a dev to win. Don't say anything, get yelled at for no communication. Come in and say, "sorry guys, I messed up but it will be fixed", and still get yelled at.
    Gyurika Godofwar and kizant like this.
  19. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Hahaha! Hludwolf with the comedy goldl
  20. Yinnie the Pink Elder

Fixed for the April patch?

These don't go away until May