Have Power Source Drop Rates Changed in RoS?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Micaiah, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ~Mills~ Augur

The rates might be the same as TDS but being that they drop all 4 you can go months worth of named without seeing the drop your actually after. To me thats awful.

They have never been a guaranteed drop even when they could drop 2. You could kill 10 of those harder named and not see a single ps or you could kill massive amounts of named and get 50 of every other ps but the one you want. To me thats awful.
  2. svann Augur

If it was expected that 1 was guaranteed and you might get lucky and get 2 then that would make sense that they would think it needed rollback. But its not like that and never was.
  3. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Yeah. It was a misunderstanding. it used to roll twice... now it only rolls once. My bad.
    Sancus likes this.
  4. Triconix Augur

4 named in Gorowyn. 2 tank power sources.
  5. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I think the randomization of which PS drops is a good idea. The only tweak I would make is to have the Tank PS have a higher chance to drop then the other 3. I could be wrong, but my guess is if a named does drop a PS all 4 PS's have an equal chance to drop. The Tank PS is by far the most desired one. Not only do all the tanks want it, but you have certain priests, melees, and casters that all want it as well. I've seen every type of PS rot already except for the Tank one, not once have I seen a tank PS rot.
    Wulfhere, svann and menown like this.
  6. Wulfhere Augur

Power sources are way under powered for current content and the non-tank PS's put points into stats that are so under tuned (or capped) that the stats don't provide any parsable improvements.

So every class goes with noticeable gains in AC and HP.
  7. Mezz Lorekeeper

I think it is better if players know what PS a name will drop instead of making it random. As it currently stands, it makes it pretty impossible to farm for the PS you need. Maybe keep VP as random.
  8. Cicelee Augur

Then players would just congregate to the easiest named that drops their PS and repeatedly farm that. I personally love that all named across the expansion have a chance to drop any PS. Makes players do hunter achievements and explore and do things except for the same ol same ol...
    ptah likes this.
  9. Sancus Augur

Why wouldn't players congregate to the easiest named to farm period with the current system?
  10. smash Augur

I disagre there. Only result would be that if 1 or 2 named drop the tank ps, then those named would be camped 24/7, destroying others chance of getting it.
    Lorai likes this.
  11. Cicelee Augur

The current system drops one of four PS. So you could spend an entire week at the easiest named, get 30 PS... and none of the one you wanted.

I responded to someone saying they wished each named dropped a specific PS. In which case you would find the easiest named that drops your PS, spend an entire week there, get 30 PS... all of which you wanted.

So yes, I suppose you could spend an entire week at the easiest named. No guarantee you will get what you want, whereas previously if you spent an elite week at a named you were guaranteed what you wanted...
  12. Lorai Lorekeeper

I've been grouping in VP since Jan when I got keyed. Before the last patch, a few named would drop two random Power Sources each kill, other named in the zone would drop one, or none. After the patch, a few named will drop one random PS, all the other named drop none. I have only seen one Healer PS drop in VP since the patch, and I lost the roll on it last night...
  13. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Lets look at T2 zones

Sathiers Tomb, 5 named
    Howling Stone, 13-15 ish named...
    Gorowyn, 13-15 ish named
    Veeshan Peak, 10 named? 5 on a timer, now faction issues, gonna be even more empty.

What I feel is good for the gander... just my opinion. VP keep it random. ST - cliff stone’s, HS/Goro maybe split it so caster, healer, dps ones drop off certain mobs only. Example: Deka the Reaper drops the pet ear, so Beast, necros and Mages will be camping that... make it drop a healer PS drops from that.

I dont know what kind of work that would involve but I killed around 9 named in HS the other day and saw zero PS’s. I’m not in need of any but stock piling is in my nature also.
  14. Sancus Augur

And you could spend an entire week doing hunter, or an entire week killing named in way X, or an entire week of killing named in way Y and not get the one you wanted. The easiest way to get the one you wanted is still by killing the easiest named...

The current situation just makes it more difficult to get the PS you want. It doesn't incentivize people to not camp the same named or to camp harder named.

That's not to say there aren't benefits to the current system, I just don't understand how this changes the risk vs reward of camping named at all...
  15. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I liked the 1 ps type per zone + 1 zone where any could drop thing.

Lol @ priests being stuck revisiting caverns and int casters going back to Degmar, tho!
  16. svann Augur

17. Ghubuk Augur

That way sucked. Random is definitely better because as long as there are named up, you have a chance. Before, it was too common for the ones that dropped the tank ps's to be all camped.
  18. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

That way at least gave the player after a specific type the choice to narrow it down. And I never experienced issues in TDS finding Combine names camps open...maybe your server is a lot busier than Drinal.

Pure random can be silly, my mage has just shy of a 40slot bag of int caster power sources from VP mostly because the RNG has opted to drop 3x more of those than any other type. I prefer having multiple options for when the RNG is unkind, ie a few zones with a dedicated or higher chance for one type and then others random.
    svann and Sancus like this.
  19. Ngreth Thergn Developer

This is only information, not agreement with any particular opinion here.
    Yes, the table is even. There is a 25% chance for each of the 4 power sources.
    Sheex likes this.
  20. ~Mills~ Augur

My 60 priest, 30 caster, 25 melee and 6 tank collection says otherwise.