Have Power Source Drop Rates Changed in RoS?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Micaiah, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Micaiah New Member

We're looking for confirmation on either our bad luck or a potential change in drop rate.

After killing named mobs in VP for six days we've noticed that power sources do not drop as commonly as they did about maybe about a month ago. Specifically we are killing the five 90-minute named mobs.

We do 2-3 full clears a night and have noticed a drop rate of about one power source per 2 full clears. We have yet to see the caster power source at all in that time.

About a month ago we had 2-3 power sources per round (of five named mobs) of all kinds of power sources.

Are we that unlucky or has anyone else noticed this change in spawn rate? Thanks.
  2. svann Augur

They used to roll 2x every kill, now only one.
  3. smash Augur

Now it seems you extreme lucky if you get any.
  4. Kaylord101 Elder

There was patch notes about it, maybe last patch?
    drop rate reduced.

I feel like its still better then anywhere else in eq, until a double named weekend
  5. Cicelee Augur

Ever since I got flagged for VP about a week or two ago, I have obtained 7 caster PS for my magician and 2 melee for my bard doing the five named per two hour deal. I did the rounds once a day since I got flagged, a couple days twice.

Had about 3 healer PS rot, and have yet to see a tank PS anywhere...
  6. Ngreth Thergn Developer

It's mostly luck... EXCEPT on the 5 "hard" rares in VP. Those 5 used to drop 2 each, now they only drop 1. That's the only change to the drop rate that I made in February (I made none for the one coming up in a few days)
    Micaiah likes this.
  7. ~Mills~ Augur

And that is why not having specific named or at least zones dropping the various types was bad. You can go 10 named and only see 1 power source which can be hours or even days work. Then have a streak like that repeat 10 times more before you see the type you actually wanted. Have experienced and talked about first hand with many people who have gone through 20 or even 30 power source drops before seeing the tank power source drop. Weeks and a month in some cases of name farming to essentially get power sources for others.
  8. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I’m curious you've referred to the 5x few-hour spawns as “hard” in a couple of different threads. Are they really tuned to be more difficult than other t2 names? They don’t seem to be.
  9. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

I think the 5 “hard” in vP are perfectly tuned. If you don’t pay attention the slightest mistake and you can wipe like a champ. Prior to the great demise of Druid & Shaman DoT’s, I could take my two dorks in with mercs and knock em out. Sometimes I would kill a merc or need a bit extra healing. Either way, with my weak boxing skills I could muster a 75% win on them. Today, I can still will but holy cow do I need to pay more attention and I am usually oom on the druid, and rather quickly...

So leave em as is.

I would look as a few of the dots of some others tho... that dread admerial curse crap tho... destroying groups in HS. Like decent folks that should be able to handle it but that dot is a wrecking crew it self.
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

That’s my point. They don’t seem any harder than most t2 names (can think of multiple others with worse mechanics). The only time I’ve died fighting them is taking a bad round + ae at an inopportune time, and that’s pretty rare/bad luck more than anything. This is with sk rog and 2 mercs.

Not saying change them, it’s just interesting to me that Ngreth has repeatedly labeled them as the “hard” names, so I was curious why he picked that descriptor.
    Sancus and Ofearl like this.
  11. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Well, compared to the others they are harder I think. That racnar tho, he is a PITA...
  12. Sashnia Elder

If you put the changes in with regard to making everything KOS in VP, you should give named a higher chance to drop PS's, considerably higher than they are now.

The zone is add city and it will become a ghost town if PS's are not made more "Guaranteed" there.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Dart Lorekeeper

Guildmates, friends, and myself were discussing last night that we haven't seen any PS'es drop off of named in Gorowyn since the February patch. This was the view of about 10+ people who spend a lot of time in Gorowyn farming named.

Not sure if its just terrible luck or what not, but previous to that patch we were all seeing them very often, since then, nothing.
  14. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I'll chalk that up to luck. I saw *I think* 3 powersources drop while doing VP keying progression killing named - and that was all before the Feb patch. RNG has never liked me very much. :rolleyes:
  15. smash Augur

I think there might some error there. I killed 2 * 2 of those rare and i got 0 ps.
  16. Ngreth Thergn Developer

but the RATE on all rares but those 5 in VP is the same as TDS. The only diff is that it's not specific PS per zone... The rate is actually higher on those 5 in VP (I.E. guaranteed... where it is not guaranteed on any TDS NPC)
    So again, diff is that which one you get it randomized, not the rate of them coming in the game overall.
    In general terms, they are harder with more HP and hit harder. Do I personally think they could have used more tuning, yes. But I didn't have time to tune them, and it wasn't my job at the time.
    I can cut and paste my response if you want. I did look up the data...
  17. Sancus Augur

Hrmm? I'm probably misunderstanding, but I don't think the 5 VP "hard" named are guaranteed to drop PSes if that's what you mean. I've definitely killed them many times without a drop.
  18. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Guessing he meant guaranteed roll on the ps table or something.

They still drop, it’s just not ridiculous candyland like it was before. You don’t want to know how many int caster ones are in Sancusjr’s bags right now, broheim.
    Sancus likes this.
  19. Cindane Journeyman

Two Saturdays' ago (post-patch) - I dragged guildies with me through Howling Stones for a healer PS hunt and looking back at my logs, we killed 164 mobs, 4 named, and NOT even 1 PS dropped (of any type.) Forget VP named - I have only ever seen caster PS drop there (pre-patch nerf only) and I've hunted there a lot. This is crazy-rare. Tried again today, went to HS again, not one drop. These items are just PS, not "game-changing". I had an easier time camping the priest 2HB Jeweled Apothic Hammer! Just frustrating.
  20. Warpeace Augur

I was about to say the same thing.
    svann likes this.