Kronos

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vertegow, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Zalamyr Augur

I like Kronos for the most part. People who are really dedicated to the game can basically get their sub for free. People like me who come and go and get behind and whatnot can at least sell a krono or two and have enough plat for a decent set of bazaar gear.

The only major issue I see with Kronos is the early experience on TLPs. They do seem to go overboard with the amount of people camping stuff solely to sell for Kronos. I haven't seen anything nearly as experiencing ruining occur on live.
  2. Simplefixes New Member

It is really easy to fix the krono issue on everquest, Make all krono's a one trade after purchasing then no drop. Meaning you can only purchase krono from DBG, trade it once, and becomes no drop. This would solve 3rd party sites that enable RMT, and people can enjoy the game. Kinda like people buying group exp pots and selling slots in group theory.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  3. Cicelee Augur

I went into Veeshan Peak yesterday to finish hunter achievement. I spawned a named, but died. Tried again, and died. Tried a third time, and died again. Then I realized I forgot to equip my 40 slot collectible bag in my inventory (I had summoned a partly 12 slot container the previous night with TS trophy and put the collectible in another bag).

Once I got rid of that 12 slot summoned bag and had my 40 slot collectible bag, I was able to defeat the named.

Bags obviously are powerful in this game. Obviously.
  4. Tornicade_IV Augur

fix the kroon issue?
    They are doing what they are designed to do.

There is a reason Chronos are 17.99 when a monthly subscription is 14.99

Their sole purpose is to buy sell and trade.

I don't know about progression servers but Plat farmers are nearly extinct on my server and usually the ones you do find who hit the profile is just some rogue player with too much software.

Kronos is just the currency of the day. restrict it or make changes to it doesn't solve the issues people bring up. they only compound them.
  5. code-zero Augur

So, if you consume a Krono on a TLP you have a sub there but no sub for any other server?

Krono are working EXACTLY the way they are described and as they were intended to work. Driving Krono based subscriptions is a much better deal for Daybreak than the old vanilla subscription model.

Krono aren't going to go away because they've been a huge success and there's not doubt that they'll continue to be so
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

I like the idea of making krono become no trade after one or a few in game trades. It would kill the kronos economy overnight, and restrict it to noble needing players only. Chase loot might drop to max plat limit (2,5 million pp), and the demand for bot-farmed plat would disappear, which would contribute to a lowering of the volume of pp in the game.

Since demand for kronos would drop, the price would also have the potential to drop. The market would be floded for a few years, and db would loose a bit of business, while kronos reserves are consumed. Well, they wouldn’t loose business, because they already got paid... but for a time they would not sell a lot of new Krono.

The trick would be to make them lore as well. If you have a stash, you are fine, but you cant accumulate one.

Krono for subscriptions would be the only supported use case of Krono.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

When EQ first launched... eBay was full of people selling stuff. Then it moved off there to other sites. Krono aren't the deciding factor here, it's people being willing to do it. And they were then, and they are now. It's not going to change.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

I have no idea as I level my own toons but I am sure someone on here has paid for an account or toon and could give you their own reasons.
  9. Aurastrider Augur

Even the lore tag would not work I am afraid. People would literally create an unlimited number of accounts just to bypass this feature.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

Lore + nodrop after trade ;-)
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Exactly and within that topic krono's were created specifically to take some of those profits away from 3rd party sites and give them back to the company so none of the above is off topic. In reality Krono's were created to dip into the profits of those selling items on 3rd party sites and HC's were created to dip into the profits of people selling power levels and characters for money. If you look at the nerfs to swarming, HS, beam spells and all other mass killing abilities they came just before the launch of HC's. Coincidence or a smart business move to cut into PL profits?
  12. Aurastrider Augur

How would this work for big ticket items in game like rare LON cards and chase loot. Everyone would have to convert everything back into plat instead of converting their plat into krono's for trade purposes? I think this would just devalue kronos and we would see more third party sites pop up defeating the whole purpose of why the krono was created.
  13. Tornicade_IV Augur

this restricting Kronos to be anything but they are. wont have the effect your looking for.

I don't purchase trade or really have anything todo with kronos but having returned from a 3 year break its clear that the kronos system has been a success .

ths thread is like the eq loading screen message that says " Paper thinks rock is overpowered " yeah paper can beat rock but paper cant beat scissors. while rock can.
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

Exactly. I am proposing to kill Kronos as currency, and only have it work in the use case where A buys a from DB, then sell it to B, whom then use it to buy a month of full access. It will greatly reduce inflation. I think that the hypothesis thatt Kronos reduce 3rd party rmt is false, I think it increases it, by creating a demand for PP. People can’t use pp for much in EQ, but now there is something that is percieved as inherently valuable, Kronos, which is driving 3rd party rmt, as well as driving inflation. Having chase loot going for 10 or 20 Krono is quite crazy, and clearly indicates to me that there is an unhealthy redistribution and accumulation of Krono and pp in the game.

If you can’t P2W (most items being nodrop, people unwilling to part with their chase loot), the rmt will have a real hard time. Krono was created at a time where there was a lot of pp-P2W options in the game. Very few are left (I am looking at you, Conflagrant). So it is time to kill Krono as a currency.
  15. Aurastrider Augur

Fair enough, I respect your opinion and input on most things on the forums but I think this is one area we will have to agree to disagree on. The power of greed is great and in many cases drives people to do some pretty creative and innovated things. Unfortunately they were only able to overcome their own laziness due to greed and not some other motivating factor. The RMT people only see real profits and they will find any loophole or flaw in a game like this to make a quick buck at the players expense. Unless all gear becomes no drop I don't see them going away regardless of there being krono's or no krono's. I just think the krono system puts it in our face a little more since its something tangible in game while before the only way you would even know it was going on is if you visited one of those RMT sites. I still have old spam in game emails from people selling plat and power levels but those have come to an end since krono's.
  16. Risiko Augur

There is NOTHING wrong with Kronos.

They work exactly as they were designed to work.

This discussion is about as ridiculous as discussing how root makes mobs not able to move.

It's working as intended.

The things people will complain about just make me question how some people manage to remember to breath.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and code-zero like this.
  17. Telkiney Elder

I see a lot of folks in this thread confusing things that are convenience or speed as Pay To Win.

The term Pay To Win, should only have one meaning and not be a philosophical debate. To determine pay to win one must simply answer the following question: "Does X item provide an advantage that is unobtainable through a reasonable period of play with out paying real life $"

If the answer is yes, its a pay to win item, if the answer is no, then it is not a pay to win item.
  18. Fohpo Augur

Seems logical.
  19. Aurastrider Augur

Even within that the term "reasonable" can be rather subjective especially with a game covering several generations of players. You have the fast food generation where anything greater than 90 seconds is unreasonable and then you have some old timers who went up hills both ways in 10 feet of snow just to fetch a bottle of milk from the milk man (he was stuck in 12 feet of snow so he could not deliver it) and then there is everyone in between. I pretty much sum up ptw (my own definition which might be different for everyone) as anything that provides someone with any form of increased power for real money. Even within that the term "power" can be rather subjective depending on each persons own perception. One person thinks bags add power (and maybe they do on TLPs in terms of making in game $$) and others think only gear adds power. Basically I summarize the term power as being able to accomplish more than I was before said power gain. For me this is my own logic and could be completely illogical to someone else though and I accept that. This entire discussion is rather subjective in reality and is based off of everyone's own opinions and very little facts.

(was meant to quote the guy above you I guess that's what happens when you get 1 hour of sleep)
  20. code-zero Augur

Does anyone think that tampering with Krono would have any effect besides changing prices to <x>PP plus <$Y> sent to paypal friends and family?