Hard core vs Casual questions .

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well he does have a point true hard core would be not using any crutches at all. I use gina teamspeak and gameparse so I do like my crutches :)
  2. Fohpo Augur

Surgeon can't operate without the proper equipment...
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Your second paragraph refutes your first (life around game or game around life).

It's not retired, or routinely unsubs, or just logs in to say hi. It describes most of my 18 years in EQ. I was 37 when I started playing, with kids already in the picture. But I loved the game, and wanted to keep playing. So, game time is structured around my life. If that's not casual, then what is?

"Even then, that will wane as the few true friends leave the game for their own reasons. The rest ultimately were just arbitrary green text. Its like being a hard drinker who gets sober and realizing your so called "friends" were just fellow enablers of bad habits."

Well, speak for yourself. The people who brought me into the game quit around 2003. Haven't been in a guild with other folks since 2006. And since then, I've gained 30+ levels, made over 10K AAs, completed lots of quests, and leveled up alts. Playing an hour to 90 minutes at a shot.

Don't project how you would handle things onto others. Or maybe you don't have the constitution to mostly solo, and pick up groups on the rare occasions that it just works out well.
  4. Tiggold Augur

Casuals wear Red and Raiders wear Blue.
    Quatr likes this.
  5. Bamboompow Augur

On the same token, there is no need to get your rear end in a sling about a difference of opinion either. This thread isn't a scientific study to effect some outcome. As others have said, there isn't really a black and white answer. What works for some won't for others and many people fit into multiple categories.

Plus, not all classes can solo effectively. That comment really was kinda -ish, sir or ma'am.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's how I felt about yours, so we're even.
  7. Ghubuk Augur

Dang, haven't figured out how to get those programs to play my toon for me.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Fohpo Augur

But you've gotten them to count for you!
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You aren't using gina properly. It will tell you when named spawn, change the name color of mobs to their con. Let you port all over the place AND play your toon. You just need to find the super secret menu! And gameparse automates all bazaar activities for you even predicting the future price of krono. Its amazing and not only that it will cut your lawn in the RL! I kid you not. Ok I kid a little. Ok... a lot. :) Ok... a real lot.
    Ghubuk likes this.
  10. Ghubuk Augur

Or an even better analogy. Using performance enhancing drugs during the Olympics to get an edge. Hmm, which one is the better athelete? The one that trained/competed within the rules or the "forward thinking" one?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It's too broad a question to give an answer with any meaning.

There are hardcore groupers and hardcore raiders. Then there are hardcore players who do both. Then there are hardcore tradeskillers. Then hardcore achievement addicts. Then hardcore socializers (is that even a word?).

They aren't mutually exclusive descriptors, either. One can be a hardcore raider but a casual grouper. Or they could be a casual raider and a hardcore grouper.

I don't know that it matters how we define these descriptors. I think what matters most is that we try to include everyone in the fun. :)
    Quatr and Tatanka like this.
  12. Fohpo Augur

To be fair, that's kind of a straw man argument. In your example, you're taking someone who intentionally broke stated rules while the other operates in a gray area that has been intentionally left gray by said "committee" in charge. I agree, the person you were responding to also used some pretty fallacious logic - this will end up being a never ending debate until DBG steps in and makes a call. Until then, it's left to self-governing and no one forces you to play with a boxer if you don't approve of their playstyle. Just like no one forces raiders or groupers to interact, but we'd all benefit from learning to tolerate each other.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You know I think the Russians said the same thing.
    Ghubuk likes this.
  14. Fohpo Augur

The Russians tried to claim they weren't doping at all, or that their "miracle" drug shouldn't fall into the category of illegal. I guess you're right, they're both semantic arguments but that's what most debates boil down to online.
  15. Tucoh Augur

I was just thinking that this complex and varied topic really needed a PED analogy to help light the way to reason.
  16. mmats Augur

Hardcore players dont look at explosions.

[IMG]
  17. Cicelee Augur

OP is hardcore. The rest of us are casual.
  18. Tachyon Augur

Agreed! But I stick by my original comment. If you are hardcore (of any kind) you play a lot! And there is nothing wrong with that.

On the flip side you can be casual and play a little or play a lot but in my 19 years I have not met anyone who would *currently* be described as hardcore by anyone that play 10-20 hours a week.

If you are hardcore, you are obsessed by the game. Admit it, embrace it!
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  19. Aurastrider Augur

Not even the same thing. Performance enhancing drugs are illegal using said boxing software (on non true box servers) within the scope of the EULA is legal. Just because you dislike technology it doesn't make you better. Again forward thinking vs primitive thinking is all this is not hardcore vs casual.
  20. Bamboompow Augur

In today's world, coming up with the better cheat/hack = winning unfortunately. Many probably side with Russia these days.