Kronos

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vertegow, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Vertegow New Member

I have a simple question, that may seem trolly. In other mmo communities cash shops are quite the controversy. I'm genuinly curious what the community of Everquest thinks about the cash shop and specifically Krono's.

Are you for or against?
  2. fransisco Augur

There is a difference between the way Krono exist in the game and the cash shop.

The cash shop has been handled MARVELOUSLY! Cannot say enough good things. There is no concept of pay to win in the eq cash shop. At 110, I can buy a mount that gives me a few ac or a like 200 hp. No big deal. There is no feeling that you must purchase items to play your character.

The krono is different though. Many "players" use it for rmt (real money transactions). As a result, TLP servers have serious economic issues. Many people make box groups to farm big ticket items simply to sell for kronos. They are not there to play the game, just to sell items for kronos.
    The ability to trade kronos between characters makes it an issue.
  3. YellowBelly Augur

Experience potions are pay to win,Heroic characters are pay to win, stat mounts are indeed pay to win, and of course the LoN slot machine is pay to win. What universe are you living in lol.

To answer the op. No, the community that's left seems to have no problem with it. Those of use who know better gave up caring years ago. SOE won the RMT battle in 2007 against fierce backlash from the community at the time and EQ has not been the same since.
    WorriedinNorrath likes this.
  4. Maedhros High King

I guess your idea of winning is a bar set pretty low. A level 85 heroic character is winning, who knew?
  5. YellowBelly Augur

To someone brand new to the game it's a huge jump.
    Edit: language
  6. Boze TLP complaint factory

XP pots don't change your actual ability in any way though. They speed up the leveling grind, and that's it.

The stat mount benefits are extremely minor. You're looking at something around the benefit level of wearing an extra augment, which isn't going to make or break any character. Maybe that AC/HP mitigates one extra hit on a raid that happens to save your toon once a year. Most of what the mount gives you is similar to XP pots, in that they cut down travel time. If you're a caster and you want one to med on, you can get them in the baz for trivial amounts of plat.

Some of the other benefits from the store are so minor (e.g., 10 damage DS aura) that you could parse them for days and see no difference simply due to RNG.

I think EQ has done the cash shop really well. It's 99% cosmetic, and nothing in it feels essential in any way. If you're all access you get enough points to get regular XP pots/mounts anyway.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Draught of the craftsman does give a significant advantage when leveling up tradeskills though.

Apart from that you are right, there is not a lot of pay to win in this game, even those mounts you get for buying the special edition expacks can be obtained with ingame means(or atleast something equally powerful). DBcash is pretty much just for cosmetics. I just buy bayle-marks myself...

Im not too fond of the RMT/krono concept though, It has basically transformed the valueable chase-items, into a way of keeping a subscription going. Having a botfarm running should never have been a way to pay for subs...
  8. fransisco Augur

Perhaps some people don't realize what pay to win is in other games.
    You cannot buy raid quality loot in the cash shop. You cannot buy access to a zone that can ONLY be accessed through the cash shop.
    You cannot buy skills that only exist in the cash shop. Heck, entire classes you need to pay extra to play.

MANY games are like that. Everquest is an exception. You can be the best player around without ever entering the cash shop. That is the difference.
    Rolaque, Corwyhn Lionheart and Niskin like this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

40 slot bags drops in raids.
    40 slot bags can be bought in the cash shop.

So in a way you can buy raid quality loot in the cash shop....:p
  10. Bigstomp Augur

You used to be able to.
  11. Raytan Augur

I don't think any of those help you to "win", but more quality of life. Even the craftsmanship potion won't help you to win, really, unless getting up your trade skills slightly faster to make better gear counts. Still, you can get the same without the market potion. Just my 2 cp though :)

Edit: My bad though, you didn't say pay to win, just raid quality loot. So in that, I guess you're right. :)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Febb Augur

The wedding zones can only be purchased through the marketplace. They are needed for travel achievements.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The wedding traveler achievements are optional, if you just care about maxing the compass though. :)
  14. Millianna Augur

Kronos are they people “cash out” after they get a rare skin from a loot box.
  15. Nudia Augur

I don't love the draught, but I don't mind the cash shop for the most part. I think the way they handled it with the 500 monthly cash was done well.

I don't care much either way about Krono, but I do wish there were an easier way to track Krono pricing for those of us that don't live and breathe that type of trade. With plat, I can keep a general idea of what things cost. With Krono, I've got zero historical perspective. What is this stupid Skybarrage (EOK chase Ranger bow) worth? :(
  16. Zamiam Augur

40 slot bags are also rewards for finishing expansions without the need to do raid stuff iirc
    an example TBM expansion Mirror Slayer Ach .. rewards a 40slot coffin container
  17. Maedhros High King

A heroic character is paying $35 or however much as a convenience fee.
    You do not have to purchase a heroic character, it simply speeds up the process of creating a new toon.
    You have no clue what pay to win is.
  18. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I guess the question is how you really define "pay to win." Imagine an EQ player (term used loosely) decides he doesn't want to kill a single mob, or do a single quest, or combine a single tradeskill item, attend any raids, any of that stuff. The only thing he wants to do is pay as much real life money as possible for the strongest, coolest, character he can get. Then he'll stand around in Guild Lobby all day showing off how awesome he is.

What would he end up with? A level 85 character with a few thousand basic AA's, a set of level 85 gear, and an absolute ton of fancy colored mounts, illusions, familiars, and ornaments. He'd have a bunch of sets of Hero's Forge gear to change his armor color whenever he wanted. He'd probably buy a bunch of Kronos and resell them for plat, so he'd have millions of plat to spend on nothing since he already has his level 85 gear. He'd have a bunch of xp potions, not that they help since he won't be actually killing anything. He'd have loads of Perfected Aug Distillers ready to remove the augs he doesn't have, and Draughts ready to skill up those tradeskills he won't bother doing. He'd have all the largest bags so he can store the loot he won't be accumulating. Would you say a character like this has 'won' the game? Or gotten somewhat close?

Then imagine that same "player" took his same plan to some other games.
  19. YellowBelly Augur

There is no mention of a heroic character as a "convenience fee" anywhere I look. Mind posting me a link with this "convenience fee" description? You can't because you are wrong. They are not a
    "convenience fee".
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, there are many 40-slot bags obtainable ingame, you would most likely be able to fill your character inventory with 40-slot bags without visiting the marketplace even once(with some effort/luck).
    40 slot bags are not exclusive to raids at all.
    It was just a tongue-in-cheek remark to the claim that you couldn't buy raidloot in the marketplace. :p