What happened to XP?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mortium, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Mortium Elder

I know it's been like this since the start, but why is there an xp penalty for AA's once you reach level 110? It seems like such a crawl to gain AA once you are there.
  2. Mezz Lorekeeper

Yeah I have noticed a hit too. I think the reason is the cap is 5AA per kill, and people could easily hit that with LoTD/Fellowship/exp weekend bonuses. They could raise the cap, but then the AA to buy skills would get pretty ridiculous. So instead they nerfed exp instead, and took away DH HA.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

There isn't. AA's fall from the sky at 110.
  4. AnzoRagespirit Augur

Other than Sundays I only get to play a few hours a day including raiding ( oh what fantastic xp that is) and I can bust out 200+ as in that time...I'm not seeing any xp loss...except when I'm max AA and XP.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Do modern content. 60+ aa's over a 40 minute mission (without pushing too hard) is pretty easy.
    Gorowyn mission is pretty crazy xp off the top of my head.
    Gundolin likes this.
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

meh...
    That means killing 60mobs in that time, unless you get a named.
    60 mobs in 40mins isn't "pretty easy" for just about anyone.

To the OP:
    XP/AA gains haven't slowed down from 109 to 110 that i have noticed much, but it sure slowed down a lot from pre-RoS times to RoS times. As was mentioned above, i too think that the reason for this was the 5AA per kill cap, which you could hit easily in EoK with lesson OR vitality - now you need both and still don't get 5AAs per kill anymore, not at 110 and not at 105 either.
    In RoS, some mobs (like nameds) give more than normal AAXP but the general mob gives between 0.6 to 1.0 AA per kill (without any boni from lesson/potion/vitality), depending on zone.
    That's quite a slow-down from the 0.7AAs for a FM Sarnak to 2.5AAs from a giant/golem in EoK, especially when we also keep the high AA cost (foci for example) in mind too.
    But even though that's probably intended to not just avoid hitting that 5AA cap, but also to make RoS "last longer", we will be done sooner than we care for i'm sure.
    Most "hard-core" ones already are for a long time now, and even slack me is just 200AAs away from max - and i haven't played much recently.
    So, don't wonder, don't ask questions just be a nice player-slave and enjoy what you're given.
    And rest easy in the knowledge that, with an average of 3-5hrs per week (a bit more perhaps if you're a hybrid) you'll more than likely still be done with the AAs by next release.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Have you actually done the mission? All those little mini named drop 3-4 aa each.
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Maxed exp and aa since like jan 10th...

I actually ask for 90% rez’s on raids and usually dont rez myself if I die while out and about just so I have something to achieve again...
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Gorowyn? Yes, i have done it.
    And you know that i know, since i did add "unless you get a named" in the part you quoted, which makes this question of yours kind of rhetorical.
    But well...
    I'm sorry, for ME the hero missions aren't representative of a "normal XPing time", which i'm assuming you are referring to when posting as you did in the thing i quoted above. That's like saying "Gribbles give 200AAs per run" when that was only true once a day/with other boni in the first place. "spikes" can't be used for a "per hour" or "per interval" statement, you take an average. Hence my reply above.
    And outside of hero missions, how many mobs do you have in RoS per hour that give more than one AA?

And to quote myself from above that you probably have missed in your haste to point out my putative ignorance:
    They curbed XP for sure, but it's not THAT much of an issue overall.
    Just quite annoying, like so many things that make players feel set back.
  10. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Dont forget the easy 12 aa per collection also...
  11. Eckish Lorekeeper

I seem to recall that AA experience is based off the mob's level relative to yours. So, the higher your level, the more kills from older content is required. Level increase expansions kill AA rate until your killing speed in new content matches what it was in older content.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's true for all XP, not just AAs. There is an XP bonus for mobs within 5 levels of you, with 5 levels above being a much bigger bonus than 5 below.
  13. Bobsmith Augur

ST is a great AA grind...
  14. Gundolin Augur

If the op was only playing 40 minutes a day and popping a lesson for those 40 minutes it would be common. So I could easily see playing 40 minutes each night, popping a lesson, and thinking an average of 1 mob per minute is a leisurely pace, and ending at or ahead of the 60 AAs the OP mentioned.
  15. Eckish Lorekeeper

I am having trouble finding the old posts that explained experience, but I remember it differently. Level exp was based on the mob and not the con. So, a red con mob will give X base exp and it will still give X base exp when you level and it gets to be a blue con mob. Level exp is offset by the increasing numerical total needed for each level. So, even though you can kill those now blue cons faster than than when they were red, you need far more of them to make the next level.

AA exp was done differently so that each AA still requires the same total numerical amount of experience points. So, it was tied to mob con for the base exp. A red con gives the max amount, while the same mob later as a blue will give less base points.

Both were affected by bonuses such as a ZEM and exp potions. But, only level experience was affected by racial/class modifiers.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's not how I remember it. XP from a mob is fixed, based on level, zone ZEM, and then the relative level bonus.

AAs have further restrictions, based on if lowbies are in the group with you.

I'll see if I can find an old post, but it would be quite old (pre-2005).

But the basic lesson is, if you're solo, molo, or with a group of similar level chars, then you will get a nice extra bonus from fighting mobs which are at least dark blue. I have confirmed this even in recent times, soloing mobs during lessons. Once I level up a little, and some of the mobs go light blue, then I get less XP from that mob, whether I'm putting it towards AA or leveling (I'm always 100% one way or the other).
  17. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I still find this interesting.

Collections from RoF offer 10 AAs. RoF offered around 2.1k AAs.

Collections from EoK offer 12 AAs. EOK offers around 11.6k AAs.

Collections from RoS offer 12 AAs. RoS offers around 5.4k AAs.

Now granted these numbers of total AAs are specific to a single class. But I feel like the reward for completing them should've scaled up with the number of AAs you need each expansion to be relevant. RoS/EoK ones should probably offer closer to 25 AAs per completion.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

One of the reasons the AA total for EoK was so large, was because of the tradeskill AAs to get skills to 350. That was over 4500 AAs!

Also, RoF, even though it was 10 AA/collection, had way more zones, and so actually more AAs available from collections.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Go to this page: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/EverQuest/Frequently_Asked_Questions

The "Experience Calculation" section, references HCB. That's the factor I was talking about, and is exactly how I remember it. Where the EQ boards posts referencing it are located, I have no idea.
  20. Riou EQResource

Collection AA earned are based on your level, not anything else, if you get RoF ones at 110 you will also get 12 AA
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.